DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 10/18/2019 at 4:39 AM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

DESTINY 2 SHADOWKEEP [4]
After angrily quitting Destiny in the wake of how much shit Warmind sucked, and refusing to give Activision any money for any Destiny stuff for fear of getting Surprise Travelers Tales'd again, my guild is back in on Shadowkeep. It's good. You're already playing it if you're going to play it.

ANODYNE [3]
I'm probably done playing this. I didn't beat it. It was sold on switch for a dollar, and marketed as "an alternative to links awakening." This alternative takes a brief trip through Someone Describing Yume Nikki To Someone Else And They Heard Every Third Word And Made A Game About It. if you don't know what Yume Nikki is, do not play this game. I am not responsible for you looking up Yume Nikki.

I HAVE BEEN PLAYING A LOT OF RANDOM ARCADE GAMES BECAUSE I ACCIDENTIALLY OBTAINED THE COMPLETE FBA SET. HERE ARE SOME GOOD ONES:

• The Mahou Daisakusen Series (US Names: Sorcer Striker, Kingdom Grandprix, & Dimahoo. Play them in order for maximum effect.)
  • Deroon DeroDero (Puyo Puyo but every time you hit a combo all the pieces reach across the well and try to link up for new combos)
  • Metamoqester (Beatemup that kind of plays like you playing Street Fighter against giant monsters. See also: Dadandarn, Warzard)
  • Boogie Wings (Shmup where when your plane gets blown up you can run around on the ground and continue fucking shit up and either earn a new plane or just ride horses/robots/pogo sticks)
  • Waku Waku 7 (fighting game, total delight, I main Mauru)

Boogie Wings is a fucking masterpiece

Finished Telltale's Batman game. Not one to play if you're in any way sleep deprived. Long periods of watching not very interesting cutscenes and then missing a dialogue option because you tuned out on what was happening. It's interesting in terms of how it plays the Batman mythos and re-interprets characters. But it's more of an interactive TV show (and not a well acted or well plotted one) than a video game. 

Found that the DLC for Watch Dogs 1 & 2 was cheap, so I bought them. Playing Watch Dogs 1 DLC, and I probably should have played it before I went in to Watch Dogs 2. The changes to the control system threw me off.

I've finished Concrete Genie, which is a short game. Lots of reviewers say that the best part of the game is right at the end, where it turns into an action game where you can skate around on a streak of paint. Actually, I disagree with that; the best part of the game is painting shit. The way this game could have been even better is if they gave you more sketches of items to paint onto everything and if they let you paint on the ground as well as on the walls of buildings.

The story is geared toward kids, but I have a problem with its "bullies are always sympathetic at heart and will understand you if you try to understand them" message. Nah, some bullies are just shitty humans, sociopaths, social detritus. Actually, they should have just taken the bullies out of the game entirely, as they did nothing but add weak stealth segments to the game that weren't any fun. 

But the little graffiti monsters that you design to help you move through the game world have style and heart and are ugly-cute, and painting scenes on walls is such a fun and rewarding experience that I hope they make another one of these that focuses on that stuff. It'll probably be in my top ten games this year because I enjoy the creation part of the game so much. 

I just played Level 5 of Rez for the first time in probably ten years and it was every bit as spellbinding as I remember it. Pleased as hell with my shot-down rate and probably coulda beat the final boss still in baby form if I banked a couple of overdrives, so I guess I'll be playing it again within the week.

It's very easy for me to exclaim "I love rail shooters!" when really all I love is RezPanzer Dragoon Orta and Star Fox 64. And I guess both Sin and Punishment games are completely amazing (like if you bought a Wii just to play Star Successor it would be a good investment, you could literally spend less than 40 bucks). Still, I feel like there's got to be more games in the genre that I've missed out on.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

7 hours ago, assfax said:

Check out Skygunner on PS2.

Sold it, realized that there's a button combination you can press at the title screen that fixes the framerate, bought back the same copy I sold. Only time I've done that. Great game.

Really glad I looked up modern rail shooters and found out about Gal Gun. Sure is something.

14 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I just played Level 5 of Rez for the first time in probably ten years and it was every bit as spellbinding as I remember it. Pleased as hell with my shot-down rate and probably coulda beat the final boss still in baby form if I banked a couple of overdrives, so I guess I'll be playing it again within the week.

It's very easy for me to exclaim "I love rail shooters!" when really all I love is RezPanzer Dragoon Orta and Star Fox 64. And I guess both Sin and Punishment games are completely amazing (like if you bought a Wii just to play Star Successor it would be a good investment, you could literally spend less than 40 bucks). Still, I feel like there's got to be more games in the genre that I've missed out on.

Funny, I played that same stage last night, first time I've run the game in VR.

Asgard's Wrath.  There's a lot I'm loving about it but the combat just stinks.  Bad guys are just draining my health with kicks while I'm  trying to figure out how it works.  They also despawn if you walk too far away and regain all health. Maybe I'll drop it down to piss-ass baby easy next time I play it.  Menus seem kludgy and the loading time after you die is about 70 seconds for me.  Picking up your little Battle Beasts is still amazing.

All that shit made me finally dig my G27 wheel out and start getting way into Project Cars 2 and Dirt Rally again.  IN VR.  I did Pike's Peak, drove off a cliff full speed and had to shut my eyes while wincing.  That's more like it.  I remember playing that F1 game on PS1 years ago and just spinning in circles out in the grass and going the wrong way to kamikaze fuckers.  With the damn wheel this shit is exhilarating.  Full throttle 5th gear going into Massenet at Monaco is erection inducing.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:39 AM, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

DESTINY 2 SHADOWKEEP [4]
After angrily quitting Destiny in the wake of how much shit Warmind sucked, and refusing to give Activision any money for any Destiny stuff for fear of getting Surprise Travelers Tales'd again, my guild is back in on Shadowkeep. It's good. You're already playing it if you're going to play it.

You didn't join the DVDVR clan?  We are DISAPPOINTED~!

All, what, three of us are very DISAPPOINTED~!

Here is a blurb from a recent interview with Bioware's Casey Hudson.

"We're definitely not done with Mass Effect," he explained. "There's a lot of stories to be told. We could pull on the threads we put down with Andromeda; we could pull on threads from Mass Effect 3. There's a lot of interesting space to be explored."

BioWare general manager Casey Hudson also chimed in with his thoughts, revealing that he thinks the Mass Effect franchise is still "very much alive."

"I'm thinking all the time about things that I think will be great. It's just a matter of getting back to it as soon as we can," he said.

I am not sure if this is a cause for celebration of if I should tell him to visit a psychiatrist and deal with his epic denial of reality.

That reminds me of a joke.  How can you tell if Casey Hudson is lying?   HE AGREES TO AN INTERVIEW~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

Maybe he is just hoping/praying Bioware can somehow figure out how to separate from EA like Bungie did Activision. Otherwise yeah, I think he definitely needs some therapy to accept the reality that it ain't happening

• Like 2

Arkham Knight. Well, this is a video game.  But goddamn, is it an unnecessarily complicated one.

I can get the mindset of, "Well, the last two were very similar, and all we did was expand the map and tweak combat," but...ugh.  AK may as well be Grand Theft Gotham for how much dumb-shit Batmobile stuff you have to do, and adding all the dipshit racing/Riddler car crap/everything else that has basically nothing to do with The Fucking Batman into a Batman game is such a waste of time and space.  It'd be fine if it were just significantly less essential, but instead, no, you have to be in the damn thing so much.  I'll probably beat this once and then maybe never play it again, because it's not remotely worth the effort to try to actually get good with the dumb vehicle enough to 100% it the way I did the other 3.

The combat seems way too overblown, although it's also a little tougher, which, frankly, it needed to be.  The Predator sequences, such as they are, on the other hand, feel better and more believable (like guys hearing you clomping around in a metal grate like they're supposed to fucking do!).

• Like 1

Arkham Asylum was a great game, but I can leave the rest of that series to the side. I don't think City was helped by expanding the map at all, and I don't enjoy the mechanics of the Batmobile or how wide open Knight is.

Asylum was this tightly-designed Metroidvania, and those the elements of the genre remained in City and Knight, the tightness of design was all gone, IMO. 

City, and by extension Origins, were fine games (bugginess of Origins aside), but way too big for the story they were telling.  Those one night stories would've been better served with less side stuff because the urgency of the narrative drove you to do the main stuff with the side stuff laying around until the end.  Although it made sense in City.  Less so in Origins.

Knight was way too damn big for the story they told, and it would've been better served taking place across more days so it didn't feel like you were trying to get ALL THIS SHIT done in one night.  That, and a lot of the side stuff was either too short (Two Face, or pretty much any of the side Most Wanted stuff), or way too long or repetitive (everything involving the Militia checkpoints/towers)  And the over-reliance on the Batmobile felt like a "make good" because they didn't do any Batmobile stuff in the previous games.

Interestingly enough, a bunch of rumors of a new Arkham game have kicked up in the past couple weeks, supposedly by WB Montreal instead of Rocksteady.  If that's so, what they did right with Origins (best boss fights in the series as well as all the detective stuff) and fix what they did wrong (made combat heavier, bugs) and address the complaints of Knight, it should be good.

I only played the first Arkham game and while it's very good I think it was a little diminished for me in that I got to it years late, by which time literally a few hundred games had ripped all the systems off so hard. So a lot of it felt unoriginal to me even though I'm fully aware it was the source game for this stuff.

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

Interestingly enough, a bunch of rumors of a new Arkham game have kicked up in the past couple weeks, supposedly by WB Montreal instead of Rocksteady.  If that's so, what they did right with Origins (best boss fights in the series as well as all the detective stuff) and fix what they did wrong (made combat heavier, bugs) and address the complaints of Knight, it should be good.

I'd liked to see a Batman Beyond game done Arkham style.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I only played the first Arkham game and while it's very good I think it was a little diminished for me in that I got to it years late, by which time literally a few hundred games had ripped all the systems off so hard. So a lot of it felt unoriginal to me even though I'm fully aware it was the source game for this stuff.

XBox guy? Because most Sony players thought of Arkham Asylum as a pretty good God of War clone.

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

XBox guy? Because most Sony players thought of Arkham Asylum as a pretty good God of War clone.

That's amazing because there's almost no similarities between the Arkham games and God of War, outside of a mashing X to open grates in AA/open chests in GoW.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, you might be a little out of touch with this one.  I've played every God of War and every Arkham game and never really felt that way.  God of war is about chaining attacks and is almost 100% offense.  Arkham is more about climbing on top of something, planning your attacks, and then countering your opponents attacks to chain counters.  I guess they're both action games, but other than that there aren't that many similarities.  

Yeah, I have to say I'm the lone oddball who really, really, really liked Origins out of the whole series.  The complaint about "too big for one night" thing is kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  If it were "the right size", you'd have 7 hours of gameplay and feel shafted that you paid what you did for it, so...of course it's not going to be like that.  And Origins definitely had the best boss fights, and the crime scene reconstructions were so much better and more thought-provoking (if, again, a little far-fetched) than the prior 2 games' excuses for Detective Mode.  I'm glad some of those made it into Knight, now that I'm far enough along in it. I was also happy to have done the entire set of achievement progressions in Origins in a single play-through once; it takes some glitching of the Predator stuff in outdoor locations, but it's doable (after you grind the "KO 3 people with a gas can" thing for 2 hours...).

But goddamn, am I sick of chasing APCs.

This also reminds me I have to get back to the Mordor games, since I'm generally pretty aces at the combat style WB put into both series.  I'm somehow considerably worse at Knight than the other 3 games, though (probably due to the Medics and extra unblockable attack modes).

Edited by Contentious C

You're not the only oddball, I think Origins might be the best overall of the series, even with the bugs.  Knight had way too much going on though, and City might been a bit better with some of the fat trimmed off.

Its for private servers. The issue is it cost too much for what they offer, and there is an extra unlimited feature that will cause stability problems when people still have access to it on regular servers. There are some pay to win complaints, but I generally see them as semi-bs with the line not quite being crossed though Bethesda is coming closer than they should if they didn't want to invite aid complaints. Otherwise the bitching tends to fall a bit more in line with gamer entitlement and false realities of what people are actually willing to pay for some cosmetic content (from both Bethesda and the players). Honestly, I think this wouldn't have caught quite as much shit had Wastelanders not been pushed back until Q1 of next year. Its for the best if they are trying to actively fix any bugs in it, but the vocal player base was getting already restless from a lack of solid content and screw ups with new and old bugs getting introduced/reintroduced.

Edited by Eivion