DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Fucking kissing China's ass...

How often has the person who made this decision said something like, "PC culture is censorship," or "Why can they say it, and I can't," or anything else they'd call censorship or an attack on their freedom of speech?  These people would swear they believed in freedom and democracy, and everything that goes along with it.  As soon as it may cost them a dime, they immediately fold and start kissing ass.  I'd call these people are prostitutes, except I actually have a modicum of respect the sex workers who admit they're in it for the money.  

I remember when this guy was a villain?

MV5BYWNkMGFhNjMtZDBmZC00NTlmLWIwMDYtYWIz

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, supremebve said:

How often has the person who made this decision said something like, "PC culture is censorship," or "Why can they say it, and I can't," or anything else they'd call censorship or an attack on their freedom of speech?  These people would swear they believed in freedom and democracy, and everything that goes along with it.  As soon as it may cost them a dime, they immediately fold and start kissing ass.  I'd call these people are prostitutes, except I actually have a modicum of respect the sex workers who admit they're in it for the money.  

I remember when this guy was a villain?

MV5BYWNkMGFhNjMtZDBmZC00NTlmLWIwMDYtYWIz

Wait, in this instance(s), isn't it the 'wokest' being hypocrites? Or at least the  ones dressing up as the wokest.

When money is on the line, that's when you'll find the truth.

Edited by turk128

1 hour ago, turk128 said:

Wait, in this instance(s), isn't it the 'wokest' being hypocrites? Or at least the  ones dressing up as the wokest.

When money is on the line, that's when you'll find the truth.

I've done some reading over the last couple days, and this isn't nearly as black and white as I thought.  The current Hong Kong/China situation is basically about whether or not someone who murdered someone should be extradited, and it is being used on both sides to either increase or reduce mainland China's influence over Hong Kong.  It is easy to say, "I believe in the freedom of Hong Kong," but how many of us actually understand what that means with any context?  That is what Daryl Morey did, and while it sounds noble, he probably had no idea how complex of a situation this was.  We spend a lot of time talking about freedom, and promoting freedom, and fighting for freedom, and glorifying freedom, but how many of us really have a well thought out opinion on whether a murderer should be able to be extradited from Hong Kong to mainland China?  We have freedom of speech, which means that we have the freedom to say all the dumb shit we want despite how ill-informed we are on the subject.  They don't have freedom of speech and they aren't going to tolerate people running their mouths about a subject that effects them more than it effects us.  Now as a business you have to make a decision on whether or not it is worth billions of dollars to be able to tweet dumb shit about situations you don't actually know anything about.  I can understand why you decide to tell your employee to just shut up and stop fucking up the money over something you can't answer a follow-up question about.  With that said, if any of these people have legitimate opinions about a potential human rights issue that goes deeper than, "Yay, FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!," I strongly believe that they should be able to state them.  Despite the fact that I think the reaction to this stuff has been over the top, I'm kind of at the point where I understand why. 

We're so used to spouting off random shit that we never really even think about it.  This should teach us something, but it won't.  

Just beat Lone Echo.  Pretty good other than that bullshit part where yer flying all carefully through those exploding cysts for the first time.  I died like, 10 times trying to do that part.  Y'know what was amazing?  The way you brought up your scanning gun.  You are really pushing on the top of your wrist like there is a button there.  The only thing I really would like in the sequel is if you could spin your body orientation using your arms.  For quick turnarounds launching off a surface.  The overall gameplay is pretty basic but is uplifted through the sheer novelty of VR.  There's a part at the beginning where you have to find lost luggage cubes and slot them into sockets.  That is what most tasks end up being.   I also want to bitch about the weak ass jar of peanuts texture near the beginning of the game.  That shit was wack yo.  The giant hushpuppies also looked a bit shit up close.  They need a VR version of Rendezvous with Rama.  Maybe then I won't think the book stunk.  What was with the Demolition Man references?  I don't get it.  I mean, I got 'em, but where's the conceptual continuity?

Installing Asgard's Wrath right now.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I've done some reading over the last couple days, and this isn't nearly as black and white as I thought.  The current Hong Kong/China situation is basically about whether or not someone who murdered someone should be extradited, and it is being used on both sides to either increase or reduce mainland China's influence over Hong Kong.  It is easy to say, "I believe in the freedom of Hong Kong," but how many of us actually understand what that means with any context?  That is what Daryl Morey did, and while it sounds noble, he probably had no idea how complex of a situation this was.  We spend a lot of time talking about freedom, and promoting freedom, and fighting for freedom, and glorifying freedom, but how many of us really have a well thought out opinion on whether a murderer should be able to be extradited from Hong Kong to mainland China?  We have freedom of speech, which means that we have the freedom to say all the dumb shit we want despite how ill-informed we are on the subject.  They don't have freedom of speech and they aren't going to tolerate people running their mouths about a subject that effects them more than it effects us.  Now as a business you have to make a decision on whether or not it is worth billions of dollars to be able to tweet dumb shit about situations you don't actually know anything about.  I can understand why you decide to tell your employee to just shut up and stop fucking up the money over something you can't answer a follow-up question about.  With that said, if any of these people have legitimate opinions about a potential human rights issue that goes deeper than, "Yay, FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!," I strongly believe that they should be able to state them.  Despite the fact that I think the reaction to this stuff has been over the top, I'm kind of at the point where I understand why. 

We're so used to spouting off random shit that we never really even think about it.  This should teach us something, but it won't.  

The fact that we're having this discussion shows just how much China has been able to influence the news.

Yes, the situation is complex and many who spout off often don't know the context but that in no way makes the struggle any less relevant and worth pursuing. 99% of the shit on social media is irrelevant and out of context but that doesn't automatically make the subject invalid.

Sure, when you get down to it, it's a business decision by the company. I can say more but it'll be completely off subject so I'll just say just because it's a good business move, it doesn't mean it's a good move.

The Blizz boycott and such will be meaningless and will not force Blizz to do anything (at most a cursory comment). Now the protestors using Blizz characters as mascots? That will force Blizz to do something or more like the Chinese government (they will over-react to anything and everything so something like this will get OW to be banned).

5 hours ago, turk128 said:

Yes, the situation is complex and many who spout off often don't know the context but that in no way makes the struggle any less relevant and worth pursuing. 99% of the shit on social media is irrelevant and out of context but that doesn't automatically make the subject invalid.

100% true.  I honestly don't think any of the people we're talking about know that context though.  If you asked any of these people to actually put their thoughts on the situation in words, how many of them would be able to do it with any level of nuance.  When I heard about it, I thought it was about Hong Kong fighting for independence, which isn't quite the case.  Hong Kong is a part of China, but they also have a certain level of autonomy.  This is about how much autonomy Hong Kong should or should not have.  How many Americans do you believe has a valid opinion about this?  I'm willing to bet it's about 40% of Chinese immigrants and maybe about 2% of everyone else.  This isn't a question about whether or not people should be able to talk about actual issues.  This is a question about the worth of being able to talk about actual issues that you don't actually have a valid opinion about.  If I thought the Overwatch champion or Daryl Morey knew what they were talking about, and not just screaming freedom, because that's what Americans do, I'd defend them to the end.  These were a couple of people who had no idea what can of worms they were opening, and left it up to their job to figure out what to do with all these worms.  The issue is that the people who actually know and care about what is happening in Hong Kong have a super strict policy about something we have a completely laissez faire attitude about and we have no idea how to navigate that difference.  

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

The issue is that the people who actually know and care about what is happening in Hong Kong have a super strict policy about something we have a completely laissez faire attitude about and we have no idea how to navigate that difference.  

Yeah, it's about autonomy but the unfortunate  truth for HK is that there really isn't any. There's no buffer zone that was agreed upon. The only thing preventing this from turning into Tiananmen Square (any mention of which is wiped out of the books in China) Massacre 2.0 is that everyone has a camera and some form of VPN in HK.

Seeing people massacred in the streets streaming live, even the world can't turn away and pretend it doesn't effect them (unlike how nobody is doing a damn about minorities and the disenfranchised getting hauled away to camp nowhere).

So yeah, at this point, I don't care if they know the  context of the protest,  let the social media idiots tweet the shit out of it. The inconvenient truth is any publicity is better than the apathy.

Got a couple friends going to Blizzcon this year... it's gonna be fun ?

Edited by turk128
  • Like 1

No, that's not true from my understanding. There is a "50 year lease" that was part of the British backing out of Hong Kong (creating a "2047 problem" which has quickly become a 2019 problem) that was supposed to see a continuation of the one country, two systems set-up in the '80s by Xiaopeng, giving both Hong Kong and Macau unique rights and freedoms as well as their own currency and a bunch of other special privileges. The recent actions of the Mainland government are shitting all over that concept. The leadership in Hong Kong is being dictated to by the Mainland government and undermining Hongkongers' freedoms and rights/autonomy. 

I'm not an expert by any means, so my interpretation may be off, but I don't think it's as cloudy or complex as being made out.

Uh, yeah... video games... Link's Awakening has inspired me to slowly go back and try to beat all of the main Zelda games. I don't think I'm going to do the second, extremely difficult part of the first game. I'm content with being a baby and moving on after doing it once. Darknuts are the bane of my existence so far. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

No, that's not true from my understanding. There is a "50 year lease" that was part of the British backing out of Hong Kong (creating a "2047 problem" which has quickly become a 2019 problem) that was supposed to see a continuation of the one country, two systems set-up in the '80s by Xiaopeng, giving both Hong Kong and Macau unique rights and freedoms as well as their own currency and a bunch of other special privileges. The recent actions of the Mainland government are shitting all over that concept. The leadership in Hong Kong is being dictated to by the Mainland government and undermining Hongkongers' freedoms and rights/autonomy. 

This is part of it, but not all of it.  In my view the biggest problem is that we live in a world of borders, but the people who set the borders never seem to consult the people within those borders.  The British just deciding that Hong Kong and the people within are going to be Chinese from now on is insane.  The people in Hong Kong spent over 100 years not being Chinese, and then all of a sudden they were Chinese.  Then China, because they realized those people had no desire to be Chinese said, "so, you can have your money, some freedoms no one else has, and some autonomy, but don't ever forget you are Chinese." Hong Kong wants to be Chinese about as much as I want to have my feet cut off, except they are Chinese.  China realizes that they don't want to be there, but they also realize that Hong Kong is a huge strategic/monetary resource that they aren't willing to part with.  The situation is always going to be a dry mulch bed waiting for someone to flick a cigarette and start a forest fire.  If it isn't the current extradition thing, it's going to be some other thing, because it's an authoritative parent trying to figure out to deal with their talented, but rebellious teenager.  The problem is this teenager can't move out.

• Like 1

I'll admit to not being as in-the-know about the situation as I'd like to be but I try to keep up with it.  The extradition thing certainly seemed like the spark that set off a bunch of other things that Hong Kong demands now.  But I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that considering the questionable moves Blizzard have made recently those that were unsure if they wanted to still give them business may have found their way out.  I never played Blizzard games so it doesn't affect me yet there are a couple people I know who are done with them.  The whole thing is reactionary and most don't know the whole picture.  But their intentions seem to be in the right place as they don't think it's right to censor like Blizzard has.  And then there's other groups like NBA and such but I don't want to get too far off track.

On the gaming front I was cleaning out a cabinet from my old house and found all my Game Boy games.  Seeing them again brought back such wonderful feelings as I would take that thing everywhere.  I still have a GBA around and the GBA adapater for Gamecube so I think I'll be firing up these again.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

yeah... video games... Link's Awakening has inspired me to slowly go back and try to beat all of the main Zelda games. I don't think I'm going to do the second, extremely difficult part of the first game. I'm content with being a baby and moving on after doing it once. Darknuts are the bane of my existence so far. 

I replayed the OG Zelda for several years in a row as an annual tradition at one point, and I still think it's a game that was ridiculously ahead of its time. It kind of created open world games about 20 years before anyone knew what the hell that was. I usually called it after beating the normal game too though, mainly because I can't remember where anything is in the reshuffled second playthrough.

Also... I don't hate Zelda 2. It was super different which was always going to piss some people off but a lot of the dungeons are actually really quite large and well done. The worst thing about the game is the awful translation, but at least it created the I AM ERROR meme that has baffled people for generations.

• Like 1

Zelda 1 is one of my absolute favorite games of all time. i own it on three or four consoles and still play though it at least once a year. Last year i played through it in Japanese on original Famicom hardware and it was so fucking cool.  i've still got my hand drawn maps i made when i was a kid. i've beaten this game backwards and forwards. "three heart challenge", "no sword challenge", all that stuff. top notch.

i've always liked Zelda 2 but rarely if ever play it anymore. 

• Like 1

I beat Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves and it is probably one of the worst games I've ever played. The controls are borderline garbage, you press jump and the circle/spin move to land on something and Sly misses the landing somehow, the challenges suck, and the whole game is poorly designed. What Sucker Punch was thinking I don't know. Sly 1 & 2 are so much superior it's not even funny.

You can't right now.  Now, they're gonna come back eventually for Season 11, but right now, FSTW and Fortnite are both down for this build up event.

I'm not sure if I got as many people playing my shitty game not realizing there are better games out there, making my game unplayable for longer than a day so they can go find the better games might not be the best idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

Yikes, I hope I can get the Platinum whenever I buy Fortnite Save The World.

You aren't going to get the Platinum playing Battle Royal. It has no trophies.

Maybe the shutdown is because it's actually finished now and is no longer going to be in Early Access.

• Haha 1

Fall is my busiest time of the year, and it's also when most of the AA and AAA games that I want to play come out. 

I wish more companies would take advantage of the summer and release big games there. Only Nintendo really takes advantage of the wide-open summer. You'd think people would learn the lessons of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic or Splatoon 2 or what-have-you, but I guess not. 

I'm like, how the fuck am I going to really get into The Outer Worlds and Luigi's Mansion 3 in the midst of all the work and family stuff and travel that I have to/get to do? At least LM3 can travel with me. I really wish The Outer Worlds was getting its Switch release simultaneously because I would have honestly rolled the dice on buying a copy of a fucking Obsidian game on Switch at launch, which, will it even run? Maybe not! It's an Obsidian game on the Switch! But fuck it, at least I could take it with me and get more time to dig into it. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

Shit, there's a lot of games coming out on the Switch alone.  Aside from Luigi Mansion there's also Links Awakening (haven't bought it yet for no good reason) the new Dragon Quest and Pokemon.  That's a ton of play time to go through and with us looking for a house on top of work and stuff that's going to be tough to manage.

Oh, I bought LA on launch and beat that sucker because a) it's like one of my twenty-five favorite games of all time, but also b) I knew that if I waited, I'd be swamped.

Good luck on the house search, bruh, by the way. That in itself is a full-time job. Sometimes time-and-a-half, depending on where you live. 

• Thanks 1

DESTINY 2 SHADOWKEEP [4]
After angrily quitting Destiny in the wake of how much shit Warmind sucked, and refusing to give Activision any money for any Destiny stuff for fear of getting Surprise Travelers Tales'd again, my guild is back in on Shadowkeep. It's good. You're already playing it if you're going to play it.

ANODYNE [3]
I'm probably done playing this. I didn't beat it. It was sold on switch for a dollar, and marketed as "an alternative to links awakening." This alternative takes a brief trip through Someone Describing Yume Nikki To Someone Else And They Heard Every Third Word And Made A Game About It. if you don't know what Yume Nikki is, do not play this game. I am not responsible for you looking up Yume Nikki.

I HAVE BEEN PLAYING A LOT OF RANDOM ARCADE GAMES BECAUSE I ACCIDENTIALLY OBTAINED THE COMPLETE FBA SET. HERE ARE SOME GOOD ONES:

• The Mahou Daisakusen Series (US Names: Sorcer Striker, Kingdom Grandprix, & Dimahoo. Play them in order for maximum effect.)
  • Deroon DeroDero (Puyo Puyo but every time you hit a combo all the pieces reach across the well and try to link up for new combos)
  • Metamoqester (Beatemup that kind of plays like you playing Street Fighter against giant monsters. See also: Dadandarn, Warzard)
  • Boogie Wings (Shmup where when your plane gets blown up you can run around on the ground and continue fucking shit up and either earn a new plane or just ride horses/robots/pogo sticks)
  • Waku Waku 7 (fighting game, total delight, I main Mauru)
  • Like 1