DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If you can impress your future father in-law/manager by loudly slurping your noodles, I’ll never leave the house.

In the contest of Japanese culture, this is now fixed.

If you've ever eaten in a noodle shop in Tokyo, you'll notice that the patrons are all competing to be the loudest slurper.

Edited by J.T.

17 minutes ago, J.T. said:

In the contest of Japanese culture, this is now fixed.

If you've ever eaten in a noodle shop in Tokyo, you'll notice that the patrons are all competing to be the loudest slurper.

This actually is brought up in the movie. But after learning about this Japanese etiquette he grabs a bowl of noodles and sarcastically chows down in front of his girlfriends family. That movie is very weird, and it’s existence is baffling. It’s like Lost In Translation, but if a Studio got involved, and told them to change it from a drama into a forced screwball comedy where the jokes don’t land. But it’s the movie that made me interested in the culture. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I fell into a game this summer via Game Pass. Anybody ever check out theHunter: Call of the Wild? I'm not a hunting guy, but I found myself night hunting whitetail rabbits and blacktail dear until 4am one morning. I've played some of the arcade hunter games before, this ain't it! I'm walking around with animal callers tracking different bears and deer, listening intently for any sound indications (I went out bought a headset) because the sound is such a huge aspect to the hunt. 

I've started Gears 5 too. Looks incredible, but I'm working my way slowly through the campaign cause I'm terrible. 

25 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

God, the Link's Awakening remake is so pure and good.

The more we see of gameplay the harder it is to consider getting it any day other than today.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up picking this up tonight.

I don't care that there's slowdown with lots of enemies on screen sometimes; Link's Awakening is, in fact, still the Best Legend of Zelda Game that has ever been created. Well worth my sixty dollars, and I won't even touch the limited dungeon maker thing, I bet. 

Guest The Magnificent 7
3 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I fell into a game this summer via Game Pass. Anybody ever check out theHunter: Call of the Wild? I'm not a hunting guy, but I found myself night hunting whitetail rabbits and blacktail dear until 4am one morning. I've played some of the arcade hunter games before, this ain't it! I'm walking around with animal callers tracking different bears and deer, listening intently for any sound indications (I went out bought a headset) because the sound is such a huge aspect to the hunt. 

I've started Gears 5 too. Looks incredible, but I'm working my way slowly through the campaign cause I'm terrible. 

I played that hunting game for two sessions on Game Pass and called it quits because I saw the time suck it was going to be. I tracked a bear for a frustrating 25 minutes or so going around in circles with the glowing tracks thing seemingly disappearing into thin air. I concluded the bear was abducted by aliens to mate with Sasquatch and shut off the Xbox. 

I did shoot a moose dead with a perfect shot from a ridiculous distance and got an achievement, though. 

17 hours ago, BNosanchuk said:

I have that (of course). It seriously looks like Far Cry 5....if I do it (which may be soonish), I'll be going for the Platinum.

It is amazing how many frame rate drops Link's Awakening has but other than that it is everything I wanted so far. I am one of the few who didn't have a gameboy until way after the fact and I mostly got it for Pokemon. This is my first time playing the game. 

• Thanks 1

It is important to talk about good video games, and explain why these video games are good. If nobody did this, how would we know if games are good? HOW?? With that said; I thought DuckTales 2 was going to be my slept-on 90's game of the week but Darius Gaiden is straight-up one of the greatest games ever made.

Let me back that up. I'm not a newcomer to the series at all. I dig the hell out of plenty of Japanese horizontally-scrolling shooters, when I traveled to Tokyo this Summer my priority pickup was the Salamander Collection for PSP (reco-fucking-mended, for the record). Big ups to R-Type, Gradius, Parodius, I even own a complete Einhander. And I've known the Darius series well, I've spent tons of time with Dariusburst CS, Darius Twin and G Darius. Cotton, Earth Defense Force, Axelay, Syvalion, Thunder Force, Air Zonk, Zero Wing (actually really good)... these are all horizontally scrolling shmups that I somehow played before Darius Gaiden. I don't know how, but here I am.

So, like, Darius Gaiden needs a critical reassessment. Right the hell now. It's slightly easier than your average shmup (a good thing in this day and age), has a light-years-ahead-of-its-time soundtrack that plays more to a psy-trance subreddit's taste than a beep-boop traditionalist, has that kind of mid-90's expert pixel art that so often got overlooked during the transitional years between 2D and 3D, is primarily made up of multi-stage boss fights  and has twenty six fuckin' stages with a binary stage selection option after every boss. Every single one of these aspects of the game reads more like a 2019 indie smash than a '95 arcade import. I am not gonna stop my campaign of telling people that Darius Gaiden is rad as fuck until it is elected president, or I play another good video game.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

Prey is a fun game so far. Reminds me of Half-Life, but set in space. Maybe I'm reminded of those games because I've only gotten a wrench and a weapon that can't kill enemies so far. ?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is awesome, like I expected it to be based on the previous games, and the puzzles continue to stump my simple little mind.

Oh, and because I have way too much disposable income, I bought the Power Armor Edition of Fallout 76 on eBay for like $63. I mainly only wanted the Power Armor helmet, because it's fucking cool looking, but it came with all the extras as well and the Tricentennial edition of the game, still shrink wrapped. Never a good sign when you put the disc in to install the game, and.... 76GB update required. Jesus christ. Finally got to play it early this morning and it's... okay, I guess. It's a Fallout game for sure, but it'd be a whole lot better if you remove the online feature and how you have to grind to rank up, etc. It'd be a perfectly decent single player Fallout game, but the extra stuff kind of ruins it for me. I'm only level 3, and trying to find the Overseer in this town in a building, walk in... and there's ghouls and robots swarming this place, and my guns suck and are almost broken, and my melee weapons aren't much better. And where is V.A.T.S.????

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

A friend jokingly sent me a headline that they're recalling those helmets due to mold, dude. May want to look into it. 

It's specifically the ones sold from Gamestop, IE the red ones.

• Like 1

I have reached Silver 1 tier on league mode of Pinball FX3 and barring a week where they pick my 4 best tables all at once, I think this is the level where my competence strands me. Can't see making the top quarter of scores unless I get Moon Knight and Medieval Madness in the same week, or I just grind the shit out of it by beating my opponent with the lowest score possible so that my next rival won't be too scary over and over.

On 9/13/2019 at 9:02 AM, RIPPA said:

The two biggest things I saw against it (in reviews) were the bugs and that the enemy types get repetitive

So it really does comes across as a Bioware-lite game

Game has just about reached the "fuck you" moment with me. You travel around with two companions, which is very handy when you run into 5-6 enemies. That is, of course, if you miss the bug that makes your companions quit following you.. Then you gotta go back to a campsite save point and they suddenly start following you again.

Game's been out for weeks now and there's been no bug fixing patch yet, especially for such a pain in the ass bug.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Oh, and because I have way too much disposable income, I bought the Power Armor Edition of Fallout 76 on eBay for like $63. I mainly only wanted the Power Armor helmet, because it's fucking cool looking, but it came with all the extras as well and the Tricentennial edition of the game, still shrink wrapped. Never a good sign when you put the disc in to install the game, and.... 76GB update required. Jesus christ. Finally got to play it early this morning and it's... okay, I guess. It's a Fallout game for sure, but it'd be a whole lot better if you remove the online feature and how you have to grind to rank up, etc. It'd be a perfectly decent single player Fallout game, but the extra stuff kind of ruins it for me. I'm only level 3, and trying to find the Overseer in this town in a building, walk in... and there's ghouls and robots swarming this place, and my guns suck and are almost broken, and my melee weapons aren't much better. And where is V.A.T.S.????

Since its online you don;t have the same stop or slow down from previous games. V.A.T.S. in 76 is just a semi-helpful targeting system. You have to rank up perk cards in perception to even target limbs. The story is decent-solid, but you can easily tell it would have been better as traditional single player with NPCs. Still I'm enjoying and Wastelanders in a couple months should make for fairly interesting changes to game with the return on NPCs and a new main quest line. For better or worse that will change the game immensely so at least you can experience the original game now before Wastelanders.