DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

LMAO... Really?!? I know we don’t all have shared experiences, but this surprises me when I read/hear people say that. The only SNES games I ever owned was this(It came with the console), and three other games. The rest of the time I rented. So sometimes it was either play the games I had, or don’t play. So there was no way I was ever not beating Mario World. I think I beat that game in total, 40 times. Most times I just started it up, right in front of Koopa’s castle just so I can go through the epic ending over, and over again. I would sometimes restart the game just so I can beat the first few bosses. Only because I loved that after animation of Mario destroying the castles. Mario World, and Mario Paint were my go too games for the SNES.

Yeah, it definitely isn't a shared experience for me.  I loved playing it but while it wasn't a super hard game I just didn't have the patience to see it through.  I believe that's when I started to just fuck around with wrestling and sports games as I liked that over long playthroughs.  To this day I still prefer wrestling and sports games though if it's something I really want to dive into I'll see it through.  For example I'm Greek and while I loved playing it I only got so far before giving up on Assassin's Creed:Oddysey.  Maybe one day I'll get back to it.  Shit, that reminds me that I need to finish up at least the main story for Spiderman.

• Like 1

Every year I wonder why there isn't a new Power Stone game. That shit should have turned into the Smash Bros. of the Capcom universe. Just wind up keeping the Power Stone characters, but start inserting new ones from other Capcom games.

For what it's worth, there have been two Power Stone inspired games released in recent years. One is Combat Core. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/combat-core-switch/ It's on the Switch and Steam. The other is called Lastfight and it's on the PS4 and Switch. I haven't played either yet.

I also LOVED Virtua Tennis and Virtua Tennis 2. More so 2. I didn't like the other iterations as much because they just kept changing the core gameplay too much and kept adding it on other gimmicks. And as much as I loved Virtua Tennis, I think I loved Top Spin even more. Top Spin was just Virtua Tennis on the Xbox, but they refined the gameplay even more and you could play it online. I think I made it to something like top 5 on Xbox Live on it. Top Spin 2 I didn't get into as much. Not sure why, but it just didn't grab me the same way Top Spin did.

17 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Speaking of Dreamcast, there's a fairly new podcast called How Did This Get Played? You can guess by the title what it's about. This week's episode is none other than Seaman! 

I started listening to this a few weeks ago and like it.  The hosts thankfully don't have the snark that you might expect given the subject, they actually end up liking some of the games they play though like Night Trap.

And bringing up Dreamcast with no mention of PSO???

Edited by Neil Koch
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

I started listening to this a few weeks ago and like it.  The hosts thankfully don't have the snark that you might expect given the subject, they actually end up liking some of the games they play though like Night Trap.

And bringing up Dreamcast with no mention of PSO???

Speaking of PSO...The E3 announcement that PSO 2 would be released on Steam  and Xbox One didn't get enough love. My only complaint about PSO was that I could never get online play to work. At that time I was on dialup and it just wasn't fast enough.

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

Every year I wonder why there isn't a new Power Stone game. That shit should have turned into the Smash Bros. of the Capcom universe. Just wind up keeping the Power Stone characters, but start inserting new ones from other Capcom games.

For what it's worth, there have been two Power Stone inspired games released in recent years. One is Combat Core. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/combat-core-switch/ It's on the Switch and Steam. The other is called Lastfight and it's on the PS4 and Switch. I haven't played either yet.

I also LOVED Virtua Tennis and Virtua Tennis 2. More so 2. I didn't like the other iterations as much because they just kept changing the core gameplay too much and kept adding it on other gimmicks. And as much as I loved Virtua Tennis, I think I loved Top Spin even more. Top Spin was just Virtua Tennis on the Xbox, but they refined the gameplay even more and you could play it online. I think I made it to something like top 5 on Xbox Live on it. Top Spin 2 I didn't get into as much. Not sure why, but it just didn't grab me the same way Top Spin did.

I haven't seen Lastfight on eShop and searching didn't lead to anything.  But I tried the demo for Combat Core and it's very fun.  It's not quite Power Stone but it is worth checking out.  Not willing to drop $20 right now though we'll see later on.

Reviews from what I've seen make it out to be exactly what it looked like: a game with great ideas, Witcher-like missions and good combat that is a technical mess and has characters that look like Ps3 era generic CAWs. Unless you're all about it, you should probably wait on it getting patched a bunch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

So, is anyone playing GreedFall?  Is it any good?

I saw a review that said the game was fine but they had problems with the plot, at least as they far as they had gotten so far (colonialism, etc etc) 

Edited by odessasteps

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I got River City Girls, which has been a delightful little beat-'em-up thusfar. I've always liked beat-'em-ups where I could play as a woman character (Final Fight 2 and 3 were my jam growing up, since I didn't own a Genesis which took Streets of Rage off my table), so this is right up my alley.

This Daemon X Machina is niche as fuck. Enjoying it so far, but I wonder how bad the initial sales are for this. Picked this up at Best Buy in the afternoon, and I’m probably the first one to buy a copy at that store. We’re very lucky somebody high up at Nintendo wanted another Armored Core.

Edit: Also the game still has frame rate issues. Played a side mission that had a ton of enemies on screen, and the game went way below 20 frames near the end of the task. It’s not happening everywhere in the game, but it does happen. So beware if you buy this game, and notice it. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So I'm playing Watch Dogs 2, and I've got the power up that flags anyone with a rich bank account you can tap funds from. It flags someone in a building, which turns out to be a bar... which when I go in (you need line of sight to hack them) turns out to be a strip club. And the guy with the rich bank account is in a booth getting a lapdance from a topless girl. So I hack him, and (as everyone in the game does) he gets pissed off that he gets a text saying you just paid some random dude hundreds of dollars. Then the girl who's giving him the lapdance gets all upset and storms out of the club and onto the street, topless. All the men she walks past start laughing (none of them take pictures, which is what you'd think they would do). All the women she walks past shout encouraging things like "You go girl! You own that!".

So I'm guessing not many actual women worked on this game in terms of scripting how civilians behave.

In other news, the reason why my character freaks out everyone is because I was hours deep into the game before it told me to press down on the D-Pad to open the emote wheel. So instead of interacting with NPCs like you're supposed to, I was just sort of standing close to them, staring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, Stefanie the Human said:

I got River City Girls, which has been a delightful little beat-'em-up thusfar. I've always liked beat-'em-ups where I could play as a woman character (Final Fight 2 and 3 were my jam growing up, since I didn't own a Genesis which took Streets of Rage off my table), so this is right up my alley.

You should get a Genesis Mini if you have the spare cash because Streets of Rage 2 is a fuckin' masterpiece and Blaze, the one woman in the cast, is also the best character to play as. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 5:28 PM, AxB said:

In other news, the reason why my character freaks out everyone is because I was hours deep into the game before it told me to press down on the D-Pad to open the emote wheel. So instead of interacting with NPCs like you're supposed to, I was just sort of standing close to them, staring.

Ubisoft did an incredible job simulating the social skills of your typical hacker.

• Haha 2

So, as expected/feared, King's Quest III was way too intense for the 7 year old. It was for me too when I was her age. One of my formative video game memories was seeing my looked-up to, much older cousin play it in the late 80s and the idea of dodging the wizard scared me then. We've moved on to Broken Age, instead, and she's doing almost all of the heavy lifting. It's been a good experience so far. I'm worried there aren't going to be a lot of other games that are in that sweet spot of accessibility vs age-appropriateness vs depth/challenge. I don't see her playing Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango for a few more years, for instance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So, as expected/feared, King's Quest III was way too intense for the 7 year old. It was for me too when I was her age. One of my formative video game memories was seeing my looked-up to, much older cousin play it in the late 80s and the idea of dodging the wizard scared me then. We've moved on to Broken Age, instead, and she's doing almost all of the heavy lifting. It's been a good experience so far. I'm worried there aren't going to be a lot of other games that are in that sweet spot of accessibility vs age-appropriateness vs depth/challenge. I don't see her playing Day of the Tentacle or Grim Fandango for a few more years, for instance. 

Maybe The Adventures of Willy Beamish off GOG?  It's more kid-focused but is still a good point-and-click.

• Like 1

CONTROL [4]
I'm not sure what reputation I have around here, and what it's worth when I say things like this, but if my reputation is like good-ish or at least understood, this should have some weight:

I just beat Control tonight. I adored it. I don't have a single complaint or criticism about that whole game.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

I've somehow never bothered to play DuckTales 2 on the NES before but this is one of the absolute best games on the system. The circumstances of the game's release are a perfect storm of hidden gem conditions. It was released for the NES about 2 years after the SNES was out in North America and 3 years after the DuckTales cartoon ended, so there's no shock a cart goes for around $200. The graphics are as good as anything else on NES and the gameplay was only tweaked in the obvious ways the prior game was begging for - revisiting cleared levels, being able to spend money on items, a continue system, and less wonky pogo mechanics. It's too bad the soundtrack had an impossible act to follow or I'd be more than happy to say it improves on the original in every way.

• Like 1

Xbox Game Pass is $2 for 2 months right now, so I signed up for that. Mainly wanted Hitman Season 1, since it's the free game of the month if you have Xbox Live, so I got that - then went on a spree last night, and tried some of them this morning when I woke up. I'll skip Hitman because that's awesome, obviously.

• Killer Instinct is... not good. The SNES/old arcade versions they have for download are way better.
  • Stellaris is fucking awesome, but I wish my laptop could play that game. I'd totally spend $35-50 on Steam to play it on a computer, which is a super rare occasion for me, because I usually hate playing games on the PC.
  • I played about 30 minutes of Shenmue and deleted it. The controls are horrible. I don't understand how this is remastered or whatever, because it seems like a literal port from the Dreamcast to the current gen. Oh well, between this and Killer Instinct, I got to free up some harddrive space to try some other stuff on the Game Pass.

I'm downloading Shadow of the Tomb Raider right now. I loved the rebooted Rise of the Tomb Raider, so hopefully this'll live up to the standard set by that game. Can anyone look at the list on Games Pass and tell me some good stuff? I think the big selling point for Games Pass right now is Gears 5, but I've never cared about Gears. I thought about trying Mortal Kombat X, but I'm straight ass with fighting games.

Just watching the trailers of stuff like Vampyr makes me go from "oh this sounds fucking cool" to "this looks like hot garbage". Which is disappointing.

Edited by Casey

Whatever curiosity I had to play for the first time Shenmue died with Yakuza. Like why bother playing something that plays as boring as Shenmue, when I can play something as fun as the Yakuza series, that fulfills all my Japanese life sim fantasies? The only thing that can beat Yakuza is if they make Japanese life sim but now you can role-play as  “Mr. Baseball” Tom Selleck.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Speaking of Tennis, been playing Super Tennis on the Switch SNES Library. I have to admit this has hit the sweet spot for me as somebody who needed a quick no nonsense tennis fix, and didn’t care for Mario Tennis on Switch.

I’m absolutely loving Super Tennis right now. I’ve been playing my neighbour, and I also managed to win the circuit mode. It’s so much fun. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 6:30 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, it definitely isn't a shared experience for me.  I loved playing it but while it wasn't a super hard game I just didn't have the patience to see it through.  I believe that's when I started to just fuck around with wrestling and sports games as I liked that over long playthroughs.  To this day I still prefer wrestling and sports games though if it's something I really want to dive into I'll see it through.  For example I'm Greek and while I loved playing it I only got so far before giving up on Assassin's Creed:Oddysey.  Maybe one day I'll get back to it.  Shit, that reminds me that I need to finish up at least the main story for Spiderman.

This is kind of how my Sega gaming went (but replace sports with fighting games), I'd get into some long playthroughs as well, but usually if I wasn't fighting fucked up monsters or ripping out someone's spine it wouldn't hold my interest that much.

I've never played any of the Sonic games all the way through and never even owned any as a kid.  As a rule I don't like mascotty platformers that much.

Played the shit out of Castlevania Bloodlines though.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Whatever curiosity I had to play for the first time Shenmue died with Yakuza. Like why bother playing something that plays as boring as Shenmue, when I can play something as fun as the Yakuza series, that fulfills all my Japanese life sim fantasies? The only thing that can beat Yakuza is if they make Japanese life sim but now you can role-play as  “Mr. Baseball” Tom Selleck.

There are some baseball games kind of like this I think, but they're all super text heavy and in Japanese

• Like 1