DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Doesn't Galloping Ghost have the one working Primal Rage 2 arcade cabinet that we know about? I'd love to play that just to say I did. 

They did. I wish I'd known it was the only one or I would have played it. Now I HAVE to go back.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 3:30 PM, Death From Above said:

Fire Emblem is the ultimate game for me repeatedly witnessing the following experience.

Person at start: "I am into the tactics but I don't know if I want to dedicate this much time to the social side of things. I dunno."

40 hours later: "JUST KISS ALREADY PLEASE KISS DO IT, DO THE THING"

Very true.

Start: "Better play this so that I accept it when they inevitably put the protagonist in as Smash Bros. DLC."

Within a few days: ....this gives me a lot of Final Fantasy 8 vibes to it (which from me, is about the highest praise I could give a game.) I've been obsessed with it since i got it a month ago on a lark, and I haven't even gotten past episode 10 (albeit running three simultaneous games, one for each house.) 

Been watching a couple WoW Classic streams today...

When did it become a requisite that we had to be miserable playing something for it to be "fun"?  Like, I didn't get into WoW until MoP, but always say people waxing about the good ol' days of Vanilla, but watching it, holy fuck is it fucking boring.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I'm still hoping to make my yearly trip to Funspot, the classic arcade up in New Hampshire.

I had no idea Funspot had a positive rep outside this state! That's funny... I've never actually been, although there used to be a pizza place across the street that had punk shows I played at. 

45 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Been watching a couple WoW Classic streams today...

When did it become a requisite that we had to be miserable playing something for it to be "fun"?  Like, I didn't get into WoW until MoP, but always say people waxing about the good ol' days of Vanilla, but watching it, holy fuck is it fucking boring.

This is what I'm not getting too. They gave people vanilla WoW, warts and all, including shit people thought were bugs, but actually weren't. I've seen people talk about waiting forever to queue up for instances and shit. And the world is really barren. I quit playing WoW probably just after the first expansion, but I keep up with it and with how that world has changed and can't image why people have wanted to go back to this shit.

There's a reason why WoW received all of the updates and improvements over the years (even if the last couple of expansions have fallen flat). 

You know what's not fun? Trying to grind out the gold it takes to get a mount. That shit took forever. You know what else sucked? How re-spec'ing was done back then. And people want to go back to that? People are weird.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I had no idea Funspot had a positive rep outside this state! That's funny... I've never actually been, although there used to be a pizza place across the street that had punk shows I played at. 

I know of it because of how it was featured in the King of Kong.

8 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Within a few days: ....this gives me a lot of Final Fantasy 8 vibes to it (which from me, is about the highest praise I could give a game.) I've been obsessed with it since i got it a month ago on a lark, and I haven't even gotten past episode 10 (albeit running three simultaneous games, one for each house.) 

Funny enough, I started FE3H the day after I beat FFVIII, it's certainly comparable to the Balamb Garden-heavy parts of Disc 1. With the FFVIII remaster coming soon and Persona 5: The Royal dropping on Halloween, is 2019 the year JRPG Life-And-Death High School Sims take over the entire world?

Moreso than anything, FE3H reminds me a shit ton of Valkyria Chronicles 2. That game got buried on the PSP, ten years ago when JRPGs were at their cultural nadir (+ hadn't been rediscovered by an entire generation of Gen Z weirdos, bless 'em) but I'm tellin' ya - the idea of a cel-shaded turn-based old-timey-war Japanese SRPG about a ragtag teenage group of well-written anime tropes attending an Officer's Academy that relishes in the tonal shift between war is hell and I forgot to study! is not an entirely new idea. Three Houses outright does it better, but I wouldn't be surprised if VC5 runs that concept back. Far as I know I might have described one of those Sakura Wars games, too.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Playing a little Wipeout Omega with the VR mode, and it's pretty intense.  Once again, I am struck by how balls ass hard 2048 is compared to HD/Fury.  When I got2048 on Vita I thought I just sucked at it because I couldn't get used to having 2 shoulder buttons instead of 4, but no. I still do pretty well at HD/Fury and still can't pass the second circuit in 2048.  And once again, I'm struck by how badly the inability to port in your own music hurts Zone mode.  On PS3, PSP and Vita Zone was like the perfect calm down/chill out thing, the visuals matching the music and a very simple gameplay style.  I'd put on one of my favorite calm-down records and just drift thru the track a few thousand times. I'd LOVE to do that in VR, but being limited to the generally-pretty-aggressive OSTs makes it less calming by a significant margin. Sync it to my Spotify playlist, let me import music and streamblock when you use custom tracks, do SOMETHING.

Does anybody have an Oculus? I'm thinking about buying the Quest version pretty soon - that seems like the top of the line version they offer, especially since I know my laptop couldn't handle the Rift S most likely. Or is there some VR tech out there besides Oculus that's worth my money more? $400 is about my limit.

I beat Dragon Quest Builders 2 last week.  Really good game and I'll probably be screwing around on my island in the postgame for a while.

I feel like diving into a JRPG next but am vacillating between DQ11, Octopath Traveler, and Ni No Kuni 2

2 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

i am only two hours in right now so I dont want to like for sure give a rating but yo; if you think you might like Control, go play Control

So so tempting

How does it play on the base PS4?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Performance is apparently bad on the base PS4 and Xbox One to the point that Remedy is actively looking at solutions to try and fix it. 

I’ll give it a wait then. Might see what the final impressions are for Daemon X Machina the full game, and use my money there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Game is combination of

FEAR: Setting and weirdness

Metroid Prime: exploration based map and save points

Mass Effect: way the gun works and light conversation.  there are also time based random quests

Psy Ops: kinda

Eternal Darkness: psychological shit and general weird fiction deal.

I'm on PC and it's looking and playing pretty goddamned good.  It has a jump button so it's already leagues beyond most new shit. You can blow up offices just for the fuck of it.

Yeah I'm on PC too, I only have it because of a friend giving it to me because they had a key for it with their video card and no intention of playing it. I've only heard rough stuff about the console performance, which is a damn shame because so far I think it's amazing. I literally haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I put it down last night, and I have no time to play it the rest of the weekend so it's gonna drive me up the wall.

I started playing Watch Dogs 2, because having finished number one and wanting to get Legion when it comes out, might as well know the whole story. Now I know that when it came out, people liked it better than the first one, because Aiden from the first game was so grim and humourless. But whilst this game is a lot brighter and lighter, a lot of the characters seem like hipster twats.