DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I'M GOING TO YELL ABOUT TEKKEN 7 SOME MORE [n/a]
I want to say how this is probably the best fighting game released this decade, but I'm not sure if I can separate it's quality from my experience with it.

Last week, I (Armor King) played a First to 5 match with a friend of mine (King) that I've personally taken under my wing, because homie's got deficits but wants to compete, so we've worked together and broken up all his bad habits and built new, good ones. I took the first four, easily, and then he ran it all the way back on me and beat me. When I turned to him, his face was in his hands because he was overcome with emotion. And like... I'm not a great player, at all, but I'm the 2nd best in my group and kind of this unofficial coach in this group of mine. So it was a huge win for him.

Last night, I ended up playing with another friend of mine that's taken up the game. They kind of bottomed out with one of their characters, and so I threw out a wild guess for a character for him to switch to (Jack), based on how I saw him using his old character (Noctis (he liked FF15 and that was his way in)). In the spirit of fairness, I took up a character I've been wanting to learn (Lee (I played him in Tekken 2 & 4 back when I didn't know how the game worked)) and we played for about an hour and a half. When we stopped, the final score was 11-9, and in that period he leveled up considerably. I pointed out moves of his that I knew would patch the holes in his game I was exploiting, and sure enough, he took to it and found himself confident with the new character and set on him for the forseeable future.

So what I'm saying is, if my Golden Age of Fighting Games was me buying an X-Arcade and wiring it into my PC to play an emulated copy of Garou: Mark of the Wolves, I am currently in my Silver Age of Fighting Games, and either way, Tekken 7 is very fucking good.

FIRE EMBLEM THREE HOUSES [4]
Short: this is an answer I would accept to the question "What was the best game that came out in 2019?"

Long: I'm 20 hours in. It is basically Persona with tactics battles instead of dungeons. I have no idea where the plot is going but they're doing heavy foreshadowing. The translation is good enough that when characters say shit I react like they're saying the shit (sympathy at self-abusive cases, wanting to stranglemurder arrogant nobles, the whole deal). I don't know how much I will play it, but the thought has entered my mind at least once of potentially playing through it with each house. This would be, for me, a fucking herculean undertaking when it comes to a JRPG. so I'm enjoying it.

is it my game of the year? Tetris 99 came out this February so, no. But I could see how someone would say it is.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

Fire Emblem is the ultimate game for me repeatedly witnessing the following experience.

Person at start: "I am into the tactics but I don't know if I want to dedicate this much time to the social side of things. I dunno."

40 hours later: "JUST KISS ALREADY PLEASE KISS DO IT, DO THE THING"

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

FIRE EMBLEM THREE HOUSES [4]
is it my game of the year? Tetris 99 came out this February so, no. But I could see how someone would say it is.

Lucky you, they're doing a crossover event this weekend. Get enough event point in Tetris 99 and you get a nifty little FE:3H theme.

I'm very politely waiting for the girlfriend to beat the game before I start a file, but she's on vacay and I'm wondering just how important politeness really is. She picked Blue Lions - I assumed they'd end up being the Omega Theta Pi of the game but there's some good shit in that plot branch, particularly Dmitri's arc. I will say this - the game looks easy. Maybe too easy. I'm not a SRPG master or anything and I'll admit permadeath has prevented me from completing prior games in the series, but it seems like Divine Pulse is a big enough edge that I'm considering playing Hard/Classic. If anybody has thoughts on this, feel free to chime in.

EDIT: All the Golden Deer recruits are named after King Lear characters. I'm picking them.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

16 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

@John E. Dynamite Yes, play FE:TH on hard classic mode, even if you have to use Divine Pulse, or load the last save you made to make sure certain characters you love don’t die. It’s very challenging, and really tasks you with having you remember the strengths, as well as weaknesses that your characters possess to insure their survival. 

Use Divine Pulse? I'm going to spam the shit out of it.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, D.Z said:

maxresdefault.jpg

1. Why does Sindel look like Lady Death?
  2. I am totally fucking stoked that they used Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa's likeness for Shang Tsung.  I still want the leather overcoat he wore in the MK movie.

Has anyone played the game Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark?  I'm maybe an hour or so into it, and I'm all in.  I'm going to Ohio for Labor Day weekend for a weeding and to Hawaii on vacation about a week and a half after that.  I picked it up on the Switch so I had something to play on those two long ass trips. 

Sindel is a revenant after the events of the last two games.  They'll have non revenant skins like they do for everyone else.  Almost everyone else looks cooler as a non-revenant, other than Nightwolf.

A couple of Shang Tsung's skins have the coat (though those might be Kombat pack exclusives)  Shang Tsung has been out a couple of months now I think.  He rules.

• Like 1

Nintendo Switch Online has added Vice: Project Doom, one of the very best NES games and a true hidden gem since it was poorly distributed at the end of the system's life (I never saw it for sale, only for rent, and I rented it at least six times). Also Kung-Fu Heroes, but fuck that game, why would you add something from the Culture Brain library that isn't Flying Warriors?

You guyyyyyyys.

Took my son to GALLOPING GHOST, which I believe is the largest arcade in the world. I think the dude said they had about 720. It was my son's first experience at an arcade(I don't count the shit at movie theaters.). 

Incredible day. They had everything. I couldn't believe some of the shit I played.

It's kind of overwhelming, because you want to see and play everything, but while you're playing you're thinking "What else is here that I could be playing right now instead?" My son felt the same way. It's funny how I gravitate to all the shit I used to play like that shitty Revolution X game with Aerosmith or Silent Scope. I'm not anywhere near as good at Mortal Kombat as I used to be.

I think the most fun we had was playing NFL Blitz together. It's a silly game, but I've never not enjoyed torpedoing dudes in that game.

Individually I think he fell into a Mario Bros. hole, which was weird to me at first but I had to remember, he never really played it like many of us did for hours upon hours.    And I got hooked on Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, which I'd never played but couldn't fucking STOP.

Anyway, if any of you guys are out this way, make sure you hit it up. They open from 11am to 1am, and everything is on free play or has a switch to press for credits. Only costs 20 bucks to get in and you can leave, eat, drink and comeback through out the day as long as you keep your receipt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Galloping Ghost is on my to-do list if I ever get out to visit Chicago. I could spend a couple of days there easily.

3 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Galloping Ghost is on my to-do list if I ever get out to visit Chicago. I could spend a couple of days there easily.

I think now that I've done it the once I can go back and have more fun. Like I can be more prepared to do what I want to do, or not feel like I'm missing out on something else. Pretty sure we're going to go much more often now. So maybe one day I just go all in on Darius shit. They had the big Dariusburst Chonicle bench for four players with the wide screen, and I wanted to sit in play that until I beat it. 

Then I discovered to my dismay that my son is not into those types of shooters.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
40 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I think now that I've done it the once I can go back and have more fun. Like I can be more prepared to do what I want to do, or not feel like I'm missing out on something else. Pretty sure we're going to go much more often now. So maybe one day I just go all in on Darius shit. They had the big Dariusburst Chonicle bench for four players with the wide screen, and I wanted to sit in play that until I beat it. 

Then I discovered to my dismay that my son is not into those types of shooters.

This just sounds like another convincing argument for me to not have kids, personally.

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

You guyyyyyyys.

Took my son to GALLOPING GHOST, which I believe is the largest arcade in the world. I think the dude said they had about 720. It was my son's first experience at an arcade(I don't count the shit at movie theaters.). 

Incredible day. They had everything. I couldn't believe some of the shit I played.

It's kind of overwhelming, because you want to see and play everything, but while you're playing you're thinking "What else is here that I could be playing right now instead?" My son felt the same way. It's funny how I gravitate to all the shit I used to play like that shitty Revolution X game with Aerosmith or Silent Scope. I'm not anywhere near as good at Mortal Kombat as I used to be.

I think the most fun we had was playing NFL Blitz together. It's a silly game, but I've never not enjoyed torpedoing dudes in that game.

Individually I think he fell into a Mario Bros. hole, which was weird to me at first but I had to remember, he never really played it like many of us did for hours upon hours.    And I got hooked on Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, which I'd never played but couldn't fucking STOP.

Anyway, if any of you guys are out this way, make sure you hit it up. They open from 11am to 1am, and everything is on free play or has a switch to press for credits. Only costs 20 bucks to get in and you can leave, eat, drink and comeback through out the day as long as you keep your receipt.

Had no idea this existed until now. Makes me want to take my daughter there next time we go to Chicago to go to the zoo or the American Girl doll store. The $20 for unlimited play sounds awesome.

Doesn't Galloping Ghost have the one working Primal Rage 2 arcade cabinet that we know about? I'd love to play that just to say I did. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

Astral Chain is getting really good reviews. The Switch is once again on fire. I didn't think the Mario Maker 2 -> Fire Emblem: Three Houses -> Astral Chain  releases were all going to be 88/89 on Metacritic but they all are. Meanwhile I haven't even beat Bayo 2. Oh yeah, and next month is the Link's Awakening remake and Dragon Quest XI with the 16-bit mode.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2