DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

This thread got me playing Def Jam: FFNY again, and while the game is still as close to perfect as a game can get, it's clear that at this point, my OG Xbox DVD drive is dying. The laser sounds like it's about to pop out of the console and death march its way across my carpet and into the trash can every time I play. The cutscenes legit don't play. Once, it was so bad that it took the game four minutes to load the screen where your character yells while going into Blazin' Mode. 

I see online that it's pretty easy to identify another OG Xbox without a Thompson drive, and I see that it's also pretty easy to take out the drive and put in a new one even for a person like me with terrible fix-it skills. Still, I feel trepidation. 

• Haha 1

Nightwolf is really, really fucking cool in Mortal Kombat 11.

He's early access now with the Kombat Pack but theres a Tower of Time featuring him that everyone can play - and it unlocks stuff for him AND all the characters you fight in the tower.

Edited by Tromatagon

Bought OG Doom on Switch.

I know it's obvious, but I'll say it anyway: The level design is aces. I've never played Doom II, actually, so I'll probably get that the next time I go to the eShop. 

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Bought OG Doom on Switch.

I know it's obvious, but I'll say it anyway: The level design is aces. I've never played Doom II, actually, so I'll probably get that the next time I go to the eShop. 

Level design in 2 is even cooler IMO, though some are kind of built around "check out this one cool gimmick we figured out."

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I was gifted a Switch. I also have a pretty major project in three weeks that's going to require a pretty significant time commitment leading up to and during the event itself.

So I definitely shouldn't start Breath of the Wild until next month, right?

I was watching a video on YouTube about collecting the mini-consoles, and I can't help but just be somewhat angry about it. I mean this person prefers to play on the actual console and just collect the minis, but that makes it hard for those who just want to play the games and can't afford to get the individual games since some can go for more than what the minis sell for. 

I mean there's a lot of Saturn games I'd love to play but you try to get the individual games, you'd almost be playing for a mortgage, and I would pay $100 for a mini and be able to play them legally.

3 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I was gifted a Switch. I also have a pretty major project in three weeks that's going to require a pretty significant time commitment leading up to and during the event itself.

Yes, do that. If you are the completionist type, then BoTW needs a concentrated mind to play, and enjoy it. Now you don’t have to 100% it, but if you want a significant series item in the game, you have to complete a large number of the games challenges to get it. But I’m sure you’ve heard that you can potentially beat the game fairly quickly if you wanted to.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Glad to see some BotW discussion here as it recently became my annual video game I get hooked on. 

The shrine challenges that use the controller tilting feature are hot ass. The one where you have to fish the ball through a maze and kick it over to the sink is cruel and unusual punishment. 

Boss fights are super easy. Probably because I got as many hearts as possible before going anywhere near them, because I suck at vidya games. And I had that item @LoneWolf&Subs is alluding to for half of them, which makes it even easier.

Using the spoiler tag because Stefanie will probably want to stumble into some of these things blind.

Spoiler

The Guardian Graveyeard under the maze in the northeast corner of the map is super cool.

The Hinox in the dark challenge is some bullshit.

Overall fun game. Wish there were more shrines. I was generally disappointed when I would reach one and it'd just be a tribute .

• Like 1

Got my 147th Platinum trophy with DriveClub. Probably one of the worst racing games I've ever played. When designing this game, Evolution Studios apparently forgot how to make functional controls and mechanics. Maybe I don't want to drift every time I hit the brakes. Maybe when I accelerate and I left off the gas, I don't want to drift. Maybe the weather races are straight up broken. Part of me want to break the disc in half, get a package and mail it to the game director who now works for Slightly Mad Studios telling him I hope he quits his job and do something more his speed like working as a janitor.

Every one of my trophy hunting friends thinks the game is easy; either their tolerance for bullshit isn't working or they are idiots.

Due to deciding to watch my first “Traditional” Gundam show, and liking it. I decided to pick back up Zone of The Enders 2nd Runner(PS4) again. I remember putting this down once after a couple of personal distractions took my attention away from this, and also the chapter that I left on might have had one of the worst looking stages.

It wasn’t easy picking this up again. I totally forgot the controls, to the point where I fired up the tutorials, and then still had trouble. So I started up a new save to play part of the first level to really nail down the controls. I swear I was ready to put this shit down thanks to this repetitive learning curve. Well, I’m happy I didn’t do that. This game was worth giving a chance again. It’s actually quite a shame that their aren’t many good single player Japanese mecha games like this, or even just modern American mech games. 

Daemon X Machina is coming, but that’s been getting slightly negative previews before it’s release next month. Which sucks, because I was looking forward to that one after the initial trailer. Hopefully the full game changes the mass opinion of the current game. Or maybe it’s just not easy to create a damn good single player experience in one of these games. The way ZoE did it in such a short game felt extremely fulfilling, and at the same that played with the gameplay elements to keep it interesting throughout its quick runtime. 

I’m crossing my fingers that DXM will be a very playable hidden gem. Not just a hidden gem for the Switch when we are already in the next gen, and owners are just scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for something they haven’t played before storing their Switch for good.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

16 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

My wife logged about 160-180 hours so she can try and get everything and that includes the DLC.  But she was hell-bent on getting every single thing possible from the game and she's still not technically done with the DLC.  So yeah, if you're a completionist then holding off might be for the best.  But luckily there's tons of other games either in cartridge or digital form that don't require a ton of commitment.  If you're so inclined there's games like Smash Bros and Mario Kart that don't have that time commitment (unless you do the story in Smash which could take a good amount of time)

10 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

My wife logged about 160-180 hours so she can try and get everything and that includes the DLC.  But she was hell-bent on getting every single thing possible from the game and she's still not technically done with the DLC.  So yeah, if you're a completionist then holding off might be for the best.  But luckily there's tons of other games either in cartridge or digital form that don't require a ton of commitment.  If you're so inclined there's games like Smash Bros and Mario Kart that don't have that time commitment (unless you do the story in Smash which could take a good amount of time)

Shame the games are pricey on the system(It’s Nintendo... What should I expect). So @Stefanie the Human if you are concerned about cost, I would do extra research on games as a buyer beware just in case you pay for a game that is $40+, and you end up hating it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Shame the games are pricey on the system(It’s Nintendo... What should I expect). So @Stefanie the Human if you are concerned about cost, I would do extra research on games as a buyer beware just in case you pay for a game that is $40+, and you end up hating it.

Yeah, and that's kept me from getting some games for sure (Marvel Ultimate Alliance being the recent example)  But thankfully eShop has some great games at good prices and we have bought tons of them.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll definitely hold off until after my project. I didn't want to dive into the thread since I want to avoid spoilers, and my question was more related to "how much am I going to want to not finish my project and play this instead", since I have poor impulse control when it comes to these things. ?

Question for you computer smart folks out there. I'm thinking of buying Windows 10 for my Mac Mini (2014 version) so I can play games (mainly Fire Pro and Fallout with mods) on Steam. Assuming I do, can I use an Xbox controller to play games instead of mouse and keyboard? I'm guesing that it depends on the game, and I would need to set it up myself in the game settings? Also, what would be the best way to be able to play the Steam games on my TV? I know there are various ways to stream from a computer to a TV but I've heard that's not the best idea when playing shooters. For reference here is what the back of my Mac looks like:

SP710-connections_ports.jpg

*edit*

Duh, the HDMI port. 

Edited by BrianS81177

If you have Win10 installed, you should be able to install the drivers for the X360/Xbone controller no issue, assuming that Windows has access to the USB ports.  Setup for the controller would be on a by game basis, where some games have better controller support than others.  And Fallout is probably better with Keyboard and Mouse than controllers,  but that's true of anything in the FPS genre.

Only issue would be the specs on the hardware and if they'd play the games (I'm unfamiliar with the  MacMini's specs).

Edited by Raziel

On 8/18/2019 at 7:19 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The shrine challenges that use the controller tilting feature are hot ass. The one where you have to fish the ball through a maze and kick it over to the sink is cruel and unusual punishment. 

Spoiler

I thought everybody just flipped the maze upside-down.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Wal-Mart apparently dropped all their Nintendo Switch game prices by ten bucks or so. I bought Hyrule Warriors because, considering that I was not going to pay sixty bucks American in 2019 for what is essentially a WiiU game and its DLC, I  am not stupid and if Wal-Mart changes their mind, I'll be back to not being able to get this old-ass game for a price under the premium.

Actually, it looked like they dropped game prices across console by about ten bucks per title because I almost also got Sekiro at 49.94, but that'll be on sale even deeper by November, so I'll just wait until then. 

Anyway, I've been waiting to play HW since I played some of it on a WiiU that I didn't actually own, so I'm looking forward to mindless hack 'n slash. And also Skull Kid!

I've got a month to finish this before the other Zelda game from a past Nintendo console that I care about, Link's Awakening, comes out. Better get to hackin' and slashin'.

Edited by Smelly McUgly

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

If you have Win10 installed, you should be able to install the drivers for the X360/Xbone controller no issue, assuming that Windows has access to the USB ports.  Setup for the controller would be on a by game basis, where some games have better controller support than others.  And Fallout is probably better with Keyboard and Mouse than controllers,  but that's true of anything in the FPS genre.

Only issue would be the specs on the hardware and if they'd play the games (I'm unfamiliar with the  MacMini's specs).

Thanks for the input!