DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 8/4/2019 at 7:45 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

SNK shows some of the other already announced  dlc characters and announces some surprise free dlc characters for Samurai Shodown. 

Also a f’n KoF XV teaser. YES

Also, Haohmaru's getting added to Soul Calibur in a few months as their last guest character.  (Haohmaru, Geralt, and 2B are the WAR 6-man team of guest characters)

Place popped for that announce.

19 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

The only way AEW isn't going with Syn Sophia is if Syn Sophia doesn't want to make a wrestling game ever again.

They basically churn out Style Savvy games at this point, right?

I'd be thrilled for an AEW or Def Jam game made by Syn Sophia. I'd hope that they're open to an opportunity to work in the wrestling/grappling genre again. 

19 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

The only way AEW isn't going with syn Sophia is if Syn Sophia doesn't want to make a wrestling game ever again.

I was about to say the same thing. The ball's going to be in Syn Sophia's court for whether or not this happens. Honestly, if you're them, why not? It would be their biggest selling game in forever because I can't imagine that whatever fashion games they've been making have made that much money. Plus, taking a pulse of the wrestling community, the time is right for them to jump back in.

I just wonder how many people are left at syn Sophia that would have worked on WM 2000, No Mercy, or even Def Jam Vendetta.

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

Dear AEW EVPs,

I realize y'all want a video game and that's understandable. What we as fans want is a GOOD modern wrestling game and not the WWE 2K stuff that has been run into the ground.

DON'T WORK WITH YUKES FOR A POTENTIAL AEW GAME.

That is all.

Thanks!

Keep in mind the WWE games depressed Yuke's so much they felt the need to work on a completely new and different wrestling game to renew their passion. 

55 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Well, one thing that would be holding them back could be looking at the poor sales of Fire Pro Wrestling just about everywhere and that's with the NJPW licence. 

As much as we love Fire Pro, it's about the most niche of wrestling games. It's not exactly easy to jump into a play, menus and story mode are a little janky, but we all regard it as this kid we just love. Sure, they're rough around the edges, but we can see their brilliance.

If AEW hooked up with syn Sophia or, ugh, even Yukes, there's more mass market appeal there.

Wasn't Fire Pro pretty popular during the SNES through Dreamcast days in Japan? And that it wasn't until Z and Returns that sales dramatically fell? I could be misremembering an old (or false) narrative though. At least in Japan, it seems like wrestling games don't sell well anymore even with New Japan's resurgence.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'd presume the AEW faithful/zealots/zombies would buy just about any game they brand, guaranteeing plenty of sales. 

Warner Brothers is trying to bring back the Acclaim/Midway engines. 

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

As much as we love Fire Pro, it's about the most niche of wrestling games. It's not exactly easy to jump into a play, menus and story mode are a little janky, but we all regard it as this kid we just love. Sure, they're rough around the edges, but we can see their brilliance.

King of Colosseum was the good kid that got straight A’s, and went to University. We love that kid, and we respect their greatness, but it’s not our special little Fire Pro. 

BTW, finally got my copy of VPW2. At first I was kinda disappointed. Even on the hardest settings, it was either a one sided ass beating by me, or the CPU. But after a few play throughs I finally got the AKI pattern down again, and making the epic matches I used to create on No Mercy. Of course with the added goodness of stuff like the German suplex no sell.

I think Kobashi might be my ideal guy in this game just from the fact that if your opponent is just above the threshold of low life, he still kicks out of Kobashi’s moonsault. Which is ideal if you want role-play Kobashi from the late 90’s. Akiyama is also a pretty good one to role-play as. His Exploders are sold just like hip tosses, in that the CPU pops up quick from them. Something that’s pretty accurate to Akiyama matches.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Wasn't Fire Pro pretty popular during the SNES through Dreamcast days in Japan? And that it wasn't until Z and Returns that sales dramatically fell? I could be misremembering an old (or false) narrative though. At least in Japan, it seems like wrestling games don't sell well anymore even with New Japan's resurgence.

I might be overstating it, but Japan is very weird when it comes to video games now. I don't think they give a crap about anything other than Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest. Other than that, it's all mobile shit.

I wouldn't take the sales of Fire Pro as any kind of indicator for how well or poorly an AEW game would do here unless of course if AEW tanks right out the gate.

• Like 1

My memory is suspect but I remember during the Dev streams back when the game was early access (and lord I miss those) they mentioned that Fire Pro Returns sold 3-1 in the US vs. Japan, so, I suspect that they too are not basing things off Japanese sales. I'm sure in Spike's view it's a passion project that just so happens to have a fanbase of raving fucking lunatics.

which also would describe danganronpa now that I think about it

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

Yeah I miss those dev videos so much and I definitely remember something about a 3 to 1 ratio but it sounds like the sales of World were not good in both North America and in Japan. I think the biggest disappointment was the sales numbers of the console version in Japan. I brought that up due to Syn Sophia being a Japanese company and they may be worried about wrestling game popularity after seeing Fire Pro tank. I think the nostalgia of No Mercy would be a pretty easy sell for people in their 30s though and AEW's fanbase would go rabid for it. 

I'm likely spouting nonsense that doesn't matter either way. I would be so happy if we had a modern, customizable Fire Pro and a modern version of the AKI engine. Soooo happy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I might be overstating it, but Japan is very weird when it comes to video games now. I don't think they give a crap about anything other than Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest. Other than that, it's all mobile shit.

I wouldn't take the sales of Fire Pro as any kind of indicator for how well or poorly an AEW game would do here unless of course if AEW tanks right out the gate.

The Switch sells very well in Japan. Smash Brothers was the second highest selling console game in Japan in 2018 behind, of course, Monster Hunter World.

The thing about the AKI era games is that they came at a time when wrestling was much more popular with mainstream viewers. I think making a non-WWE title is a very hard sell in 2019, which isn't to say I wouldn't want to see one. Just that I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

The Switch sells very well in Japan. Smash Brothers was the second highest selling console game in Japan in 2018 behind, of course, Monster Hunter World.

Yeah, the Switch is very popular as well because, again, it's a mobile device.

If they could figure out a way to get MHW on the Switch then people in Japan may never buy another game or system ever again.

• Haha 1

Spike Chunsoft not getting a Switch version of the game out didn't help. That's the perfect console for FirePro at this point. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, the Switch is very popular as well because, again, it's a mobile device.

If they could figure out a way to get MHW on the Switch then people in Japan may never buy another game or system ever again.

I mean, you're not wrong, but let's not kid ourselves. 2019 has been a down year everywhere. What's even come out this year that made any kind of AAA impact? Anthem was DOA, and it was painful to watch happen. Kingdom Hearts 3 was gorgeous but much too easy, and the story is impossible to follow at this point if you haven't invested 100+ hours into that franchise. Sekiro was hot shit for a little while but most people seem to have decided it was about 20 times harder than it was fun (and it didn't light the world on fire sales wise). The Resident Evil 2 remake might be the front-running AAA title of the year that isn't on the Switch in 2019 so far, and it is a great remake, but goddamn.

Apex Legends totally shot itself in the foot after a white hot start and it still might be a legit GOTY choice from the business side.

Borderlands 3 could be a complete trainwreck and still be a top 5 AAA game of this year.

I agree in principle, but Days Gone seems to have done (quietly) well.

Sony basically not doing much this year in the AAA space + Nintendo having AA+ releases (Yoshi's Crafted World and MUA 3 are my favorite two bigger releases of the year right now), but no big AAA release is hurting things. All love to the third parties, but Nintendo and Sony AAA games just mean more, have more polish, and stick in the mindshare of the audience for longer, generally speaking. 

(And Rockstar, of course, but with the rumor that Bully 2 is on its way soon, I'm wondering if we get GTA and Red Dead alternating generations going forward and the occasional return to a Bully or a Max Payne or a new IP from Rockstar sprinkled throughout.)

Edited by Smelly McUgly

27 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Apex Legends totally shot itself in the foot after a white hot start and it still might be a legit GOTY choice from the business side.

Shot itself in the foot? The first battle pass wasn't anything great, but the second one was. They're doing everything right at this point.

I think they made a definite miscalculation releasing a game that 100% relied on cosmetics for income and then not releasing a cosmetic anyone gave a shit about for like 2 months, yes.

The game itself is great. If I could aim worth a shit I'd play it all the time.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:19 PM, Death From Above said:

I mean, you're not wrong, but let's not kid ourselves. 2019 has been a down year everywhere. What's even come out this year that made any kind of AAA impact?

Even in the MMO world things are not grabbing new people for long. SWTOR is teetering on the edge, I suspect the Onslaught expansion will make or break them. LOTRO keeps churning out small updates, but will never get back to the high times from about 5 - 6 years ago. WOW's last couple of updates have been poorly received. FF XIV's latest expansion has been praised, but it's barely a month old so we'll see if the populations drop off again.

I am going to guess WOW Classic actually has double the numbers of Actual WOW at launch, though obviously that's going to be a real short nostalgia hit when people remember what a grindfest Classic was. But even when that falls off I bet it sticks as a top 5 MMO on a Black Desert Online level.

Steamcharts is only tracking a % of the FF 14 activity of course, but the Shadowbringers launch was the all-time peak for the game, which is really all you could want in a game that is 5+ years old. It's the golden time for that MMO.

• Like 1

Trying to Platinum / 100% DriveClub and I'm ready to snap the disc in half. How Sony says this game was ready for sale, I don't know. Evolution Studios had no clue what the hell they were doing with it, but that's true with most of their racing games. They got gigs because they made cars/vehicles look awesome, not actually feel awesome.