DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I still have all a hard copy of all my translation guides/move lists/notes/etc. for King of Colosseum 2.

I think I might have last booted the game somewhere around 2012.

No plans to throw out my stuff, even though I doubt I'll ever go back to the game.  Hope never dies.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Ultimate Alliance 3 is fun as hell, y'all.

It is, but the skill tree elements are dumbed down from X-Men Legends, which has got to be like fourteen or fifteen years old now.

But the core gameplay is money and always has been/will be. Kill mooks, level up, kill mooks more effectively. It's junk food in gaming form. 

4 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

I still have all a hard copy of all my translation guides/move lists/notes/etc. for King of Colosseum 2.

I think I might have last booted the game somewhere around 2012.

No plans to throw out my stuff, even though I doubt I'll ever go back to the game.  Hope never dies.

Got it too, might whip it out again. Still what I feel is the greatest 3D gameplay in a wrestling game ever. Yes the in-between animations are ugly looking, but I’ve never played an AI that was as smart, and already willing to have a good match with a user. It was the best of both the AKI style grapple initiation, and Fire Pro timing. Loved the limitations on finishers. Made it a bit of a chess with the CPU. Wish they could’ve ported some of those grapple positions over to the recent Fire Pro. Or maybe had wholesale converted the gameplay over to Fire Pro. The only thing that killed be was never getting the front suplex/brainbuster position timing down on the hardest difficulty. Always kept me from using guys like Kawada, Hashimoto, and Sasaki. I could’ve lowered the difficulty, but I felt like I was cheating myself from enjoying the game that way.

BTW, I got the N64 today. Store owner tried it out at his place, but it won’t work on any of my HDTV’s. Need to take a break from the frustration. Might call him to see if he has a solution, or better yet if he knows a reputable person that sells working CRT’s.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It is, but the skill tree elements are dumbed down from X-Men Legends, which has got to be like fourteen or fifteen years old now.

But the core gameplay is money and always has been/will be. Kill mooks, level up, kill mooks more effectively. It's junk food in gaming form. 

Yeah, not happy about the skill trees.  At all.  This late stage, they should be more like XML2 and not like the first one.

The controls are also kind of hot garbage, if you ask me.  Part of that is that I don't play Switch enough to avoid treating it like an Xbone controller, but a lot of it is more the fact that this makes you use specials via the *bumper* rather than the *trigger*, and you can't.  Fucking.  Change it.  That needs to be an update to this game, yesterday.

I never played MUA2, so I don't know if this over-reliance on synergies and stuff is also a bad throwback to that, but I could do without it.  The HUD just feels messy, like I don't have a sense of progress or how much energy I've got or how close to dead I am.  I wanted to cram fists in faces with Rocket/Groot, but it felt so hard to get a handle on at first that I had to switch to Gamora to feel like I knew what the Hell I was doing.

Granted, I'm only done with the first chapter, but it's been an underwhelming experience already.

• Like 1

It took me awhile to get my head around what I was doing in single-player, but now I'm pretty good at watching the HUD, especially because you have to do that if you want to do Synergy attacks solo, and you pretty much have to do that to beat some of these bosses efficiently. 

But I would agree that the HUD could be better (and I haven't played it in handheld yet, but I imagine that the already cramped HUD looks significantly worse on the smaller screen). I also would agree that it can be hard to know what you're targeting, especially on a crowded screen. It does come with time, and for me, the gameplay loop and the ability to throw a team of Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, and Venom at large groups of hapless jobbers well overcomes the drawbacks of the game. 

I think MUA3 has an appropriate level of complexity for me between the skills, the upgrade tree, and the ISO-8.

Really all I wanted was to be able to get ruinously stoned and punch mans as various super heroes and this delivered in spades.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

In fairness, MUA1 dumbed down from Legends and MUA2 dumbed down from MUA1. And since 2 had a glitch at launch that forced you to take the auto upgrade path rather than allocate on your own, it probably CAN'T get dumbed down from there 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, assfax said:

I just remember when I beat it on PC that the Star Destroyer boss was a  nightmare.  Controls were fucked and the ship would get stuck forever.

Star Destroyer boss is surprisingly easy for me. Zap TIE Fighters and it's like your hanging a painting with the adjustments to "Pull it out of the sky!"

Part of me keeps hoping for a scene in Episode IX where Rey pulls down a Star Destroyer.

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

In fairness, MUA1 dumbed down from Legends and MUA2 dumbed down from MUA1. And since 2 had a glitch at launch that forced you to take the auto upgrade path rather than allocate on your own, it probably CAN'T get dumbed down from there 

This is true. My friends and I were so bummed about MUA's simplification of character-building after really enjoying XML and XML2 in that regard.

On another note, MUA 3 has some strange difficulty spikes. It's imperative to level up using those Infinity rift challenges...and some of those aren't really properly attuned to level. That Level 10 Doc Ock challenge where you have to Synergy Attack to get anywhere should really be a Level 25 challenge.  

That Mysterio fight is the first time I was really surprised by the game because he does an explosive attack that you have very little time to avoid (or more accurately, to limit the damage of in SP mode) that does more than fifty percent damage. 

I was able to beat it without losing any characters, but the first time he does that attack, it definitely is a surprise when you eat the damage on it. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

That Mysterio fight is the first time I was really surprised by the game because he does an explosive attack that you have very little time to avoid (or more accurately, to limit the damage of in SP mode) that does more than fifty percent damage. 

I was able to beat it without losing any characters, but the first time he does that attack, it definitely is a surprise when you eat the damage on it. 

Wait until you get to Ultron...I turned the game off.  I'll try again tomorrow or Monday, but when he loses about 85% of his health he starts cheating in a way that kills your entire team all at once.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Star Destroyer boss is surprisingly easy for me. Zap TIE Fighters and it's like your hanging a painting with the adjustments to "Pull it out of the sky!"

Part of me keeps hoping for a scene in Episode IX where Rey pulls down a Star Destroyer.

On computer the boss was bugged.  This is really the only thing I remember from playing both games.

BEAT Horizon Zero Dawn.  Only took me two years!  All the major plot revelations  were surmised by me 12 hours before they wanted to blow their load.  Lance Reddick is the de facto Magical Negro of the videogame milieu.  Didn't like how there wasn't a whole lot of new weapons and upgrades in the last 15 hours.  A lot of those skill upgrades seemed pointless.  Shoot arrows on a high wire?  Why? That super secret hidden armor that you spend the whole game trying to get?  Eh, it's some poop that has no mod slots. With mouse and keyboard controls this game would be amazing.  There were a billion times where I would be fiddling with that monster hunter d-pad potion shit and died.  COME ON.  Also has that shit where I'm bowling over giant 30 foot tall sabertooth tigers with my spear but regular ass humans are parrying my every melee attack.  Horseshit.  Kinda like Dying Light where you just knew to use molotov cocktails so you didn't have to deal with that bullshit.  Villains also stunk.  Also, that Uncharted shit where it took 90 years to open the door, but bad guys are still rappelling in in front of you.  What the hell was that Zero Dawn facility?  Garbage. They also just devolved into relying on high powered guns right at the end like Last of Us.  This wasn't exactly The Word for World is Forest.  Also, all the beards looked like crap.  Pubic hair glued on to the upper lip area.  Also, extremely long loading times.  Two and a half stars.

My Yakuza lineage was beating 3 & 4 within a month back in 2010 and loving it.   Like, double 30+ hour games. Gotta be unemployed to do that shit.  I'd give the edge to 4 for Saejima's move where he grabs the guy by the leg, flips him up in the air and hits 'em in the back of the neck with a lariat upside down.  Rubber bullets plotline be damned.  Then,  I wanted to play 5 for years but they didn't bring it out until 2015 and I already had a PS4 and my PS3 was unplugged for about 2 years.  That's the one I really wanted to play.  Seriously, GTAV and Last of Us were in '13.  Then they did that huge flood of 0 and both Kiwamis.  I bought 'em as they came out but I still haven't put more that 5 hours into Zero since then.  The only thing I remember is that Mr. Shakedown guy.  My awareness of the newfound swell of enthusiasm for the series is high. I'm pledging right now to beat Zero.  I'm also in that spot where I'm debating whether I want to shift over to PC for those Kiwami games.  Even though I know I'm just setting myself up for more diaphanous release schedule bullshit.  I'd really like that DAMN Fist of the North Star game on PC.  Judgement also looks great.  I'm just glad shit is fully into the downloadable era so it won't become 200 bucks if yer wanting to play it after the fact.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Wait until you get to Ultron...I turned the game off.  I'll try again tomorrow or Monday, but when he loses about 85% of his health he starts cheating in a way that kills your entire team all at once.

I'm well past him, but in fact I beat him the first time I fought him with only Spider-Gwen still alive on a sliver of health because of this.

I am a couple of chapters ahead of that fight, and each of those chapters also has at least one boss with a fatal explosion attack like Mysterio and Ultron, FYI.

I don't know what you all are on, but my daughter and I are having a blast. She's 9 and has less patience than I do for dying and retrying, but in this it doesn't bother her.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I don't know what you all are on, but my daughter and I are having a blast. She's 9 and has less patience than I do for dying and retrying, but in this it doesn't bother her.

Difference between playing solo and having 2 humans, I think. On Mighty it's REALLY not balanced for the dumb ass AI to do 3/4 of the work

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Difference between playing solo and having 2 humans, I think. On Mighty it's REALLY not balanced for the dumb ass AI to do 3/4 of the work

We don't even mess with mighty difficulty. That shit is way too hard. The lower difficulty is hard enough.

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

We don't even mess with mighty difficulty. That shit is way too hard. The lower difficulty is hard enough.

If the A.I. helped even a little bit Mighty Difficulty would be great for me...but they are worse than useless.  They don't try to avoid AoE attacks, won't jump on a turret, or any number of other dumb ass things that leave me getting my ass kicked by a screen full of enemies while they won't get close enough to do a synchronized attack.  It isn't that I don't know how to win these fights, it's that my teammates are actively working against me.

• Like 1

It sounds like they suck a little more than the other games in the series though.

They'd at least hit the synergy attacks.  I mean, you'd be the one initiating them at all times, but they'd not actively fuck them up usually