DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

15 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

Revenge has more features and a bigger roster.

FYI Target has the PS Classic for $20 this week.  It's worth that for just the controllers and it is easily "hackable" to add a ton more games.

Thanks for the heads up. Might pick up an 8Bitdo adapter for it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Yeah it's pretty easy to hack, but not as easy as the SNES/NES mini.  It's a bit more of a pain in the ass.  But doable.  The pain in the ass revolves around having to have a very specific brand of USB flash drive to be able to do it.  Don't even check to see if ones you have work, just go straight to buying the suggested ones because you're just wasting time (since they have to be formatted twice)

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, sell me on Final Fantasy 14. How hard is it to get into when the most experience with MMOs I've had in recent memory was with ESO? I tried reading up on it and it was like reading a different language. I also tend to solo play in MMOs unless my friends are playing them. I mainly just don't want to be a burden on others so I play alone. Is FF14 worth playing if I'm going to solo it?

On 7/16/2019 at 11:01 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Quick question... I’m buy an N64 this week. This will my 2nd time with this console. I’m probably not getting No Mercy(I had my fill of fun with that version of the engine), but I am getting VPW 2. But I do want one of the American AKI games. So I’m deciding on either WCW Vs. nWo: World Tour, or Revenge. Which one should I go with?

That's weird, because I'm probably going to be doing the same thing. Except I'll be getting both of the WCW AKI games, plus the Japanese ones. I'd like to find a translated cart for the VPW games, though.

But first I have to at least finish my Famicom puroresu collection. I got a strategy guide for Dream Slam (after waiting over a month for it to ship from Japan), and now I'm thinking that's an itch I'm going to scratch too for these games. If I can find any.

I don't have a PS3, PS4 only so here's what I did:

I did Zero -> Kiwami -> Kiwami 2 -> 6.  I don't feel like I missed out on any of the story because of all the recapping that happens, but 6 is the real end of the story.

Going from Zero to Kiwami kind of sucks because it feels like you're getting half the game (because you're getting half the amount of content), but it's the actual order of the story.

Kiwami 2 and 6 use the Dragon Engine, which is a huge jump graphically, but it doesn't start feeling like full and polished until Kiwami 2.  Like 6 seems kind of like a step back combat wise, but the storyline FUCKING RULES.

Yakuza 6 has a bunch of NJPW stars as guest characters with their own storyline and stuff - Kiwami 2 does this with legends like Tenryu, Chono, Mutoh, Choshu, and Tatsumi Fujinami.  The NJPW guys from 6 make an appearance in the underground fight club, though.  

IMO despite the graphic jump once the series starts using the Dragon Engine, Zero is probably the best one in the series as long as I've played.

There's also two side games released here:  Fist of the North Star and Judgment.  Both of these games fucking rule.  Judgment JUST came out and I'm playing through it and enjoying it.  It's a good place to start as well - it's the same city as Yakuza, but with a different and sort of related but pretty much not related side story.  The gameplay is completely different.

Fist of the North Star is the shit.  It doesn't really differ in gameplay outside of having controllable driving segments and the rage arts working a little differently, but you're Kenshiro exploding heads and shit and it's goddamned awesome.  If you get a launch edition you get a big sticker that says HOLY SHITBALLS, an essential for any collection.  They actually went in on this one and made it more violent for the western release and mannnnnnnnnn it shows.  You don't have to be a fan of the anime or manga to enjoy the game but you should be a fan of the anime or manga just to be a good person in life.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

What Yakuza game(s) should I start out with?  Never played any of the titles in the series

Open to PS3 or PS4 recommendations.

You will get fierce division on Kiwami 1 vs 0. It's a messy situation because 0 is unquestionably the better game, and Kiwami has in jokes and callbacks, BUT after playing it 1 will be q bit of a letdown. Characters who were fairly flat in the original game get fleshed out in 0 in ways that make going 1->0 feel more natural than the reverse, and 1 only has a few minigames and no Sega classics.  I favor playing 1 first simply because it's a much shorter game and a good way to figure out if you like the style, but both options for the cheap games have significant pros and cons 

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

Ok, sell me on Final Fantasy 14. How hard is it to get into when the most experience with MMOs I've had in recent memory was with ESO? I tried reading up on it and it was like reading a different language. I also tend to solo play in MMOs unless my friends are playing them. I mainly just don't want to be a burden on others so I play alone. Is FF14 worth playing if I'm going to solo it?

Yes. I'm up to level 24, and the handful of dungeons that have been a part of the main quest are filled by cross-server queues. When you need to have more than just yourself you are put in line automatically, and in a few to several minutes (depending on time, your class, etc.) you have a group with a tank, healer, and 2 DPS to do the story. There are also a ton of in-game tutorials to help you get the hang of everything. 

Try the free version, which'll get you one character on up to 8 servers, which you can level up to 35. There is occasionally a short wait to log in, but I've never sat twiddling my thumbs for longer than 7 or 8 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

That's weird, because I'm probably going to be doing the same thing. Except I'll be getting both of the WCW AKI games, plus the Japanese ones. I'd like to find a translated cart for the VPW games, though.

But first I have to at least finish my Famicom puroresu collection. I got a strategy guide for Dream Slam (after waiting over a month for it to ship from Japan), and now I'm thinking that's an itch I'm going to scratch too for these games. If I can find any.

Holy shit, a translated version of VPW 2 exists? What kind of sorcery is this? I still have the translation guide I printed out from GameFAQs years ago.

Due to the board rules I'll just tell you it exists if you want to make it exist and it involves either buying one someone else made or buying $100-200 worth of equipment to make it yourself.

Edited by Tromatagon

Fist of the North Star gets repetitive after a while but you're still doing the best shit so it's wonderful. Loved that game to bits. I started Yakuza 0 last summer and was really enjoying it. Now that I've stopped incessantly playing Black Ops it's on my to do list for the summer.

Currently trying to beat Slay the Spire with the third character and for the life of me cannot. It's driving me nuts. I got the final boss under 100 health for the first time yesterday but man... Not looking good. 

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is adorable and good as hell.  Tons of quality of life improvements from the first one that really improve the experience.  Combat is still bad, tho'

Also I pre-ordered Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and am looking forward to punching some dudes tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

What Yakuza game(s) should I start out with?  Never played any of the titles in the series

Open to PS3 or PS4 recommendations.

I've got to add my two cents in here as a longer-term fan than average - I've played everything BUT what;s been popular since Yakuza 0 broke. That means I've only played 3, 4, 5 and the PS2 versions of 1 and 2.

Yakuza 3 was my first and I loved it to bits, certainly in part because of all the goofy kids at the orphanage. The fat kid who wants to be a pro wrestler... how can you not fight for him? But I would say it's worth waiting for Kiwami 3 than playing 3 as it exists in the west. Content was removed, including a quiz show, a massage parlor side game, hostess clubs and a few other things deemed "too Japanese".

I think Yakuza 4 is the best game in the series. I don't know how or why they'd bother to remaster it as it doesn't need much added to it. It's got a much denser version of Kamurocho, with rooftops, sewers, and a whole immigrant community. Some people don't dig Tanimura but I thought his fighting style was unique enough to justify him. Akiyama's Hostess Maker and Saeima's Fighter Maker minigames are just the best.

Yakuza 5 is big. HUGE, really. Five characters, five locations (you could argue six) and a whole lot of babbling about "dreams". There's a lot to like about this one, but I think I played it too close to 4 and hit big levels of burnout. It's also the first Yakuza I played on hard mode and I felt the encounter rate was just stupid. I wish the Haruka rhythm-game levels were a LOT harder but I'm an old pro at that genre, I definitely liked all the baseball stuff, thought Saejima's hunting minigames were a great change of atmosphere, loved Kiryu's taxi-driver missions... play if you're not afraid of content overload.

The PS2 games are fine if you're into the whole "retro" experience. They're shorter and tell the same story as the Kiwami games, plus Yakuza 1 has the distinct feature of *gasp* English voice acting, which wasn't all bad and certainly novel. 2 is a lot less clunky than 1 and probably tells the best and most sensible story in the whole series.

Y0 is the shit. That cabaret club game should be at least spun off into a mobile game of its own. 

But I'd agree that you should play Kiwami 1 first because I still haven't finished it, it was such a comedown after the majesty of Zero. 

Also per the AKI N64 games, WCW/nWo Revenge is great, almost as good as No Mercy, so get that. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

Guest The Magnificent 7
5 hours ago, Liam said:

Not a new game, but has anyone played Mount and Blade: Warband for the PS4? Thoughts?

I played it on Xbone. Highly recommend it. My 3 kids still play it and whenever they release the sequel that has been in the works we’ll get it day one. Really limited graphically and combat mechanics are dated but it’s just fun recruiting an army, winning tournaments, and besieging castles. It’s like a spiritual successor to Defender of the Crown or the Saturn masterpiece Dragon Force. 

It doesn’t hold your hand very much with the nuances of the game like trading, but you won’t care in the middle of a huge battle. If you like the board game Risk but wish you could actually partake in battles then you’ll love it. 

Alright, took the splash and downloaded the free trial for FF14. I'm actually really excited to play it and hopefully I can take a break from work in a bit to check it out.

And while on that break, I really want to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, which is also currently downloading. I suppose if that finishes downloading, I could also grab my Switch and play it handheld at my desk on a conference call or something.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 8:51 AM, Craig H said:

Holy shit, a translated version of VPW 2 exists? What kind of sorcery is this? I still have the translation guide I printed out from GameFAQs years ago.

I think they mean a used version where someone has already changed all the names and stuff. A basic translation of the menus and some of the stuff in modes wouldn't take forever, but only a rom mod would do that.

As far as the future of retro gaming, by 2045 the Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo/Google Super Corporation will have enslaved the remainder of humanity with their Virtual Boy Headset implants as the rest of the world is perpetually on fire.

I know for sure I have a binder with VPW 2 and Fire Pro D translation guides that I could probably just throw in recycling now. I might even still have 6MS and SFPWX guides.

• Like 1