DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I too have played Spider-Man this past month, and came away with most of the same praise. Only things I had an issue with, was after starting off with a couple of really nice epic story missions, the game drags a lot throughout the main quest. Like the non-Spider-Man missions are a major drag. Easy, but ultimately boring. Also very disappointing that most of Spidey’s rogues gallery only show up near the back-half of the game. Still the combat, and swinging is awesome. Especially the combat. I got my best jolly’s from this game with the villain hideout sidequests. I just hope the next game is fleshed out better, with more villains, and more quests that don’t feel like filler to pad out the story.

Also, started up Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night. What a pleasant surprise this has been. It’s almost straight up Symphony of The Night by its original creator Koji Igarashi, but with some added gameplay quirks to keep it fresh. I got worried last year that this would be another Mighty Number. 9 situation. I was happily proven wrong with that prediction. I currently have 40% of the map filled in, and have a really hard time putting this thing down. Currently in the running as my personal GoTY.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was playing ESO for a little bit, but the story is hard to follow and not that engaging. It just lost me after awhile.

I beta test it way back in the day, and it was a mess then. Occasionally I think about checking it out, but then I play Skyrim instead.

Put a lot of time into Bloodstained. A few glitches or no, I love it. It kills me they weren't releasing a 2D metroidvania Castlevania every year or two like ten years ago. We could have so many more of these. It's basically the perfect style of game. Collection + Exploration + Character Progression + 2D Platformer.

I more or less broke it midway through by farming Lilis. Bunnymorphosis is kind of demeaning/ecchi but it's super powerful if you get even 3-4 souls let alone the full 9. I'm at the point now where I can run through bosses without even learning their patterns as long as I try at least a little. Shame on me. 

On 7/3/2019 at 12:20 PM, Death From Above said:

This is sort of a New Found Money thing in game design: figuring out ways to make avoiding using fast travel fun and engaging.

I also think they did a great job at making combat that emphasised all the cool shit that makes Spider-Man unique.

The fast travel in Spider-Man is fun. I used it yesterday for something and it was Spidey talking to a guy dressing up like him that I found amusing.

The game is really smart with the weird NPC interactions you can get in it.

53 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Put a lot of time into Bloodstained. A few glitches or no, I love it. It kills me they weren't releasing a 2D metroidvania Castlevania every year or two like ten years ago. We could have so many more of these. It's basically the perfect style of game. Collection + Exploration + Character Progression + 2D Platformer.

I more or less broke it midway through by farming Lilis. Bunnymorphosis is kind of demeaning/ecchi but it's super powerful if you get even 3-4 souls let alone the full 9. I'm at the point now where I can run through bosses without even learning their patterns as long as I try at least a little. Shame on me. 

Yeah, the thing about Bloodstained I'm finding is that it's real easy to break the game in parts.  It's a little clunky to get around the different transportation skills (like the hands and the Light travel are the same shard type, so you have to swap), but there like the Lilli shards, the Poltergeist Shards pretty much end the difficulty of boss fights.

• Like 1

I think the greatness of this generation, myself playing on the PS4, is truly remarkable. I tell my kids all the time that between videogames and comic book movies (specifically the MCU), they don't understand how shitty things could be before. 

One big part of it, for me, the Fire Pro games and how I felt about playing those games vs anything else. I fucking LOVE that series and have purchased multiple systems to play it. However here I am right now with arguably the Fire Pro fan's dream game and aside from getting the Platinum trophy, it's largely ignored due to Spider-Man, Red Dead 2, Dying Light, Yakuza, H:ZD, etc.

I have an update on Konami's Pixel Puzzle Collection. If you dont remember what this game is, it's Picross with old Konami spritework. I cleared it 100% today and as I was working on the puzzle I was thinking "Gosh, I really don't want to uninstall this but I guess I'm done with it." So when I finished the puzzle, it popped up this big screen that said "NORMAL MODE CLEAR."

And then it unlocked expert mode. They removed the ability to make X's, and in order to earn credit for clears in expert mode you have to clear it faster than your time in normal mode.

So uh this is probably the best phone game?

• Like 1

As part of Rocket League's 4th Birthday/ Summer Celebration, they launched a new limited time game mode called Spike Rush. It makes everyone's car covered in spikes like a Hedgehog, so the ball sticks to you, and you have to try and drive through the goal. But you get Demolitioned if an opponent touches you in possession. Anyway, it sucks, it's a game of luck not skill, but one of the Weekly challenges in Rocket Pass* was to get a total of five shots/goals/saves playing it, so I had to. So because it's a rubbish mode, you go three nil up and sixty seconds later you're 5-3 down, it's stupid. But then the second you type "This mode is stupid" in the game chat, suddenly everyone in the lobby starts calling you a Noob. The mode has existed for TWO DAYS! Obviously everyone on Earth is new to it! It's literally impossible to be experienced at it! How is Noob an insult, you morons?

Also, they've bought back the Throwback stadium, where the goals aren't set into the back wall, but are in front of them like in Ice Hockey. But you can't play in it in the actual Ice Hockey mode.

* Two weeks ago, everyone had to score or assist five goals in Basketball mode. When really, they should just have deleted Basketball mode ages ago. Nobody played it, so they changed it from a casual to a ranked playlist. Now less than nobody plays it, except for the one week when it was in challenges.

So I've made it to the end of Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and I'm about to jump into the expansion content. I have so much shouting I want to do but suffice to say this: FF14 has been a hugely pleasant surprise and honestly I can't remember the last time I've had this much fun with a game.

Now that I'm into the expansions, supposedly it gets good.

The total scope of this game's soundtrack is actually nuts. i know it's not news Square Enix prioritize music but goddamn.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 5:00 PM, Death From Above said:

So I've made it to the end of Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn and I'm about to jump into the expansion content. I have so much shouting I want to do but suffice to say this: FF14 has been a hugely pleasant surprise and honestly I can't remember the last time I've had this much fun with a game.

The total scope of this game's soundtrack is actually nuts. i know it's not news Square Enix prioritize music but goddamn.

I might attempt to dive into it a little this weekend.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:00 PM, Death From Above said:

22 hours ago, Chaos said:

I might attempt to dive into it a little this weekend.

I just finished up the opening area, Gridania, yesterday, and wow. I'm a level 17 archer, noodling around with leatherworking for crafting. It's gorgeous with a great, complicated story and the music is amazing. This may end up getting my money.

Finally bothered to finish Conduit 2 on the Wii.  It's a very average shooter, maybe even a little mediocre.  And it was a decent step-up from Conduit (1).  That said, I'm annoyed Conduit 3 never became a thing, because it has one hell of a cliffhanger.

Spoiler

In the last minute of the game, some sort of stargate/transporter field opens up and a few people come through wearing futuristic body armor.  The first two people out of the gate - neither one is wearing a helmet - are George Washgington and Abraham Lincoln.  Lol.

Not sure that makes the game worth the time investment, but it certainly helped.

Beat Medal of Honor: Warfighter and I would say honestly it is one of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played and is actually better than COD after MW2. I have 7 trophies left before the Platinum, including the very tough Mein Liebe esque Hardcore Mode, where if you die at ANY point, you start back at the first level.

Completed the story of God of War. Might stick around and go for more trophies, might not. The ending seemed very abrupt, almost as if this was only part one of an overarcing story that might take several games to complete. Although the final twist at the end

Spoiler

Kratos' son, who has been called Atreus throughout, is actually half giant. His giant name is Loki

kind of implies that if there is a sequel, it shouldn't be the further adventures of middle aged Kratos and ten year old boy Atreus. In fact, I'd say at some point Kratos should die and you'd just be Atreus from then on, but people who play games always hate it when the player character dies and then you play as his kid instead.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

I'd say at some point Kratos should die and you'd just be Atreus from then on, but people who play games always hate it when the player character dies and then you play as his kid instead.

The damage Phantasy Star III did to the industry will never be undone.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Completed the story of God of War. Might stick around and go for more trophies, might not. The ending seemed very abrupt, almost as if this was only part one of an overarcing story that might take several games to complete. Although the final twist at the end

Reveal hidden contents

Kratos' son, who has been called Atreus throughout, is actually half giant. His giant name is Loki

kind of implies that if there is a sequel, it shouldn't be the further adventures of middle aged Kratos and ten year old boy Atreus. In fact, I'd say at some point Kratos should die and you'd just be Atreus from then on, but people who play games always hate it when the player character dies and then you play as his kid instead.

I've heard Cory Barlog (the director) on a couple podcasts.  He has a five-game series in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I think I'm done with my Borderlands 2 play-through. TBH, it was the loot monsters that got me. I hated that stupid Tiny Tina DLC because a) I hate Tiny Tina, b) I'm not really into standard Western fantasy tropes, but c) that stuff is all stuff I can take except for the fucking monsters that don't look like monsters until you walk up on them. The Treants made me jump a couple of times, but then I hit a mimic when opening a chest and FUUUUUUUCK after that, I stopped opening big chests. Then, I finally finish the DLC and start Commander Lilith, and there are fucking PLANT LOOT MONSTERS, but get this, you can't even avoid them by not opening big loot chests because they just fucking POP OUT OF THE GROUND OUT OF NOWHERE in infected areas and FUCK THAT. The shit is worse than half of the fucking horror games out there. 

If they put any of that shit in the Pre-Sequel, it's a hard pass from me right now, tbh. I need to Google that shit before I start. 

I also started playing Spider-Man in fits again on NG+, and the core mechanics are still so fun that I'd put it in a "best of the generation" list easily.

I'm slowly making it through Baba Is You. That game is one where I'll hit a puzzle, put it down, come back to it in two weeks, and then figure out the answer. It stretches my creative thinking and is definitely going to be one of the ten best games that I play this year. 

I played a bunch of stuff on this PS Classic that I got a few weeks back, but most of the stuff I like plays better on my Sega Saturn that I don't want to take out and set up and then mess with discs for. Pocket Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes are still good games, but I need a Sega Saturn mini that I can, uh, mess with so that I can play those games on it. 

Grid Runner = still great though. 

I need to clear the deck a bit because Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is coming out on Friday, and between that and NBA 2K, I'm probably going to only focus on those games for the rest of the summer, at least until, MUA 3 is completed and I can play the Pre-Sequel (or if there are mimics and hidden jump-scare loot monsters, I can play something else entirely). 

@Lamp, broken circa 1988: You are correct, sir, it IS the best mobile game (well, that or Game Dev Story, but nah, probably Pixel Puzzle Collection, you're definitely right). However, I wish that it was easier to get to the new puzzles only available after clearing at 100%. It took me a long time of randomly completing puzzles that I already completed before I got one of the new puzzles. 

Still a 10/10 game and TOTALLY FREE, so everyone really should play it. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

So yesterday I went down to the local "independently owned" games store to pick up some Wii and PS3 stuff they were holding for me, and there was a discussion going on about what retro gaming will look like in 20 years.  Like, will there even be a PS4 retro gaming scene 20-25 years from now.  

Eh... no?  Maybe?  It's a little hard to imagine since there are so many digital exclusives out there and physical/retail copies of current gen games are slowly falling away.  Yeah, there's still a surprising number of physical editions out there, but, with the exception of outliers like the Limited Run Games catalog, most of those physical editions have dlc and day one patches and patches after that.  At some point, those patches and additional content are going to go away and it's going to be a lot harder for a retro gamer in 2045 to scrabble together everything he/she needs to make God of War or Fallout 76 play as intended.

For PS3/PS4 I've started collecting GotY/Complete editions as well as the "black label' release - if the GotY edtion has the dlc and patches on the disc instead of via  download code.

Anyway, somehow this has inspired me to spend the rest of the summer with the PS4.  I own one, but aside from a couple AAA titles each year (Sekiro, Bloodborne, AC: Odyssey, etc.), I don't spend a lot of time with it.  Meanwhile, I still love my PS3 and Wii.  Finally started putting together  a PS4 want list this morning.  Have a feeling I'm going to be underwhelmed and go back to PS3 though.

Question: How much of a difference is there between PS4 remasters of PS3 titles, and the original version?  I'm thinking mostly of games like Dark Souls Remastered, the PS4 versions of Darksiders i and II, God of War III remastered, Devil May Cry HD Collection, Journey Collector's Edition, etc.  Is the jump in quality really that great if you own the PS3 edition.  I've always felt like the gap between generations was larger going from PS2->PS3 than PS3->PS4.

Can't speak too much on generational differences between games (since I'm never keen on replaying anything) but I can offer you a theory on the future of retro gaming.

Most current-gen games aren't gonna be worth shit, they'll exist in the digital marketplace in one form or another forever and ever. You've also got the new trend of "classic" console/compilation hybrids like the NES/SNES/PS things, which is a form of gaming hardware that's going to mutate and grow in weird ways. However - I have a feeling that the number of games that get completely yanked from digital marketplaces for whatever reasons (copyright stuff, companies tanking, the sheer amount of sci-fi games that are just gonna come off as racist once we start hanging out with aliens) is going to be somewhat sizable in decades to come, and the physical editions of a few of the more obscure + culty ones are going to be worth a fuckton.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Quick question... I’m buy an N64 this week. This will my 2nd time with this console. I’m probably not getting No Mercy(I had my fill of fun with that version of the engine), but I am getting VPW 2. But I do want one of the American AKI games. So I’m deciding on either WCW Vs. nWo: World Tour, or Revenge. Which one should I go with?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs