DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 6/27/2019 at 2:55 AM, Death From Above said:

BRB gonna play the main story of Final Fantasy 14 Online from beginning until Shadowbringers

I've debated this honestly, but I'd have to play it on console since I don't own a gaming PC currently.

53 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I've debated this honestly, but I'd have to play it on console since I don't own a gaming PC currently.

The PS4 version is actually quite good and they did a nice job with the controls.  I think I prefer it to the PC version.

Path of Exile really has its hooks into me.  I'm doing a dual-sword-wielding frost blades Duelist and it's pretty fun to just hop into the middle of groups and kill everything instantly.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I haven't played the game on controller but the good news for you is that apparently FF14 has just about the best controller support in the MMO business from what others tell me. Some of the top raid runners on PC even prefer controller for the analog stick movement apparently.

I assume there is a free trial on PS4 as well up to level 35 just like PC, which if so means you'd lose nothing to try.

Finished Spider-Man and all the trophies, pretty easily. It was kinda just Shadow of Mordor in New York. And while I liked those two LotR games, I don't give a fuck about Lord of The Rings. I am, however, in love with Spider-Man, so this worked out. Traveling around New York was pretty incredible, some of the collectible side missions were kinda stupid, but the story was great and got me teared up a few times. Love the J. Jonah Jameson podcasts. They never failed to entertain. Looking forward to a sequel. Kinda wish there was a game like this for Daredevil or Punisher. 

Not sure what to play next. I've got three rpgs to choose from but I can't decide if I'm ready for that kind of commitment yet. I just finished a very long term relationship with Persona 5 and I kinda want to date around.

• Like 4

I'm making my way through Spiderman and it's a blast.  I absolutely love swinging around New York and the overall gameplay is wonderful.  I'm not generally a fan of collecting all the side pieces and stuff though for once am trying to get what I can.

Also on the Switch front that Chiki block wrestling game that @D.Z hyped up is pretty darn fun to play as.  It's not hard to unlock everything and the styles fit a lot of the main guys you'd expect.  Definitely worth picking up.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm making my way through Spiderman and it's a blast.  I absolutely love swinging around New York and the overall gameplay is wonderful.  I'm not generally a fan of collecting all the side pieces and stuff though for once am trying to get what I can.

I used to be a hardcore gamer in my youth, but stopped during the PS2 era. I think I went 15 years with a PS2 as my only console.

Couple years ago I bought a PS4 for my son, so I skipped a generation of gaming advancements and it's been pretty crazy. The first time I started playing Uncharted 4, which came with the system, I was like "Oh, all the things we wanted games to be able to do back then, that's what they are now."

So swinging around New York, I was gobsmacked at just the immense amount fucking details like traffic accidents and actual different window textures, where you could see stuff inside apartments. I'm sure all that is "whatever" for most people who've grown with the technology, but it never ceases to amaze me.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I used to be a hardcore gamer in my youth, but stopped during the PS2 era. I think I went 15 years with a PS2 as my only console.

Couple years ago I bought a PS4 for my son, so I skipped a generation of gaming advancements and it's been pretty crazy. The first time I started playing Uncharted 4, which came with the system, I was like "Oh, all the things we wanted games to be able to do back then, that's what they are now."

So swinging around New York, I was gobsmacked at just the immense amount fucking details like traffic accidents and actual different window textures, where you could see stuff inside apartments. I'm sure all that is "whatever" for most people who've grown with the technology, but it never ceases to amaze me.

I haven't skipped generations but try to not be in that "whatever" state.  It's pretty amazing how far graphics have come and I still find myself loving how detailed a lot of things are in this game.  But there are definitely those who will gripe about lack of graphical detail for new games but unless they didn't grow up on it I just can't relate.

I LOVE Spider-Man on the PS4. Maybe this is because I'm afraid of heights, but the first time you hit a really big swing and go up super high in the air and then push in your thumbstick to swan dive down, only to swing on another web is breathtaking. The combat is really fun. I only played the first Rocksteady made Batman game so I don't know how similar the combat in Spider-Man is to those other games, but it sure feels different than Batman Arkham Asylum. 

Also, man is the voice acting good. There's that scene early on with MJ where the tone of their voices and the looks on their faces is pretty well done to the point you can feel the YA angst.

I'm still working my way through the game, but it's awesome for sure.

21 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I haven't skipped generations but try to not be in that "whatever" state.  It's pretty amazing how far graphics have come and I still find myself loving how detailed a lot of things are in this game.  But there are definitely those who will gripe about lack of graphical detail for new games but unless they didn't grow up on it I just can't relate.

I clearly remember when the Dreamcast came out and I was playing SoulCaliber with my brother-in-law and him looking at me and saying something like, "That's it, we've reached the peak.  There is no way that games are going to ever look better than this."

• Like 3

Oh, speaking of Spiderman (not quite a spoiler but just in case)

The Stan Lee cameo while Peter and MJ were leaving the diner was unexpected and really sweet.  Really cool to see him in video game form.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spider-Man was one of my favourite games ever to watch on Twitch. I think the story was phenomenal.

It's funny because when we first saw it at E3 last year my first thought was "Jesus I hope the web slinging between buildings doesn't get boring in 10 minutes" when in the final game it's actually one of the best things in the game, just going place to place. This is sort of a New Found Money thing in game design: figuring out ways to make avoiding using fast travel fun and engaging.

I also think they did a great job at making combat that emphasised all the cool shit that makes Spider-Man unique.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

I clearly remember when the Dreamcast came out and I was playing SoulCaliber with my brother-in-law and him looking at me and saying something like, "That's it, we've reached the peak.  There is no way that games are going to ever look better than this."

I remember when I got my PS1 and was playing the sweet Demo disc that it came with. One of the demos was for an NBA game and my mom came in and thought I was watching a real game. She was like "You can see the lights reflecting off the boards! This is insane."

My god this was over 20 years ago.

Then I go back and look at how Lara Croft was in those early games and wonder why we ever wanted to see that blocky thing naked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I remember when I got my PS1 and was playing the sweet Demo disc that it came with. One of the demos was for an NBA game and my mom came in and thought I was watching a real game. She was like "You can see the lights reflecting off the boards! This is insane."

God, I remember that demo disc. I'm pretty sure it was this game that you're referencing:

I loved all of those Sony sports games (NHL Faceoff and NFL Gameday). 

• Like 1

Somehow I have The Witcher 2 on my Xbox One. I played a little bit of it last night. Someone tell me it gets a lot better because the 15 minutes or so I played wasn't very impressive.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

God, I remember that demo disc. I'm pretty sure it was this game that you're referencing:

Spoiler

I loved all of those Sony sports games (NHL Faceoff and NFL Gameday). 

YUP!

I probably played that same mission from WARHAWK on that demo disc a thousand times. I never ended up buying or even finding a copy of Warhawk. I'd always look for it at Babbage's and nothing.  

46 minutes ago, Casey said:

Somehow I have The Witcher 2 on my Xbox One. I played a little bit of it last night. Someone tell me it gets a lot better because the 15 minutes or so I played wasn't very impressive.

The thing about the Witcher games is that they take AWHILE to get going.  It's good once it's there, but the front half of all the games are a fucking slog.

• Like 1

I can't get through the opening of Witcher 3, err, at least the first area. I keep falling asleep. I think I may be too used to Skyrim because I just want to fuck around and find stuff and whatnot and instead what happens is I wander around, slowly, and then I get into a fight with something, slowly. The first area is just very dull, but I want to push forward. For now, I'm putting it on the shelf to play through Doom, Skyrim, and Spider-Man.

12 hours ago, Casey said:

There are a lot of problematic things with Witcher 2, especially, story wise, so if you're not feeling it you can just skip it. I've only played 3 and one of the DLC, Hearts of Stone. It's gorgeous, and gory, and a lot of great mythology, but I'm not sure if I want to try to play it again.

Decided to try out the free version of Final Fantasy XIV, since it's all the rage at the moment. It is GORGEOUS. Wow, just beautiful. I'm now a level 8 archer, just starting to wander around outside the first city. There's enough hints at the story that I'm interested (no-one remembers what really happened on that day, 7 er 5 years ago?) and little bitty callbacks here, there and everywhere to earlier games (VI and VIII in the opening cinematic, definitely). As a free to play, I'll be capped at level 35, and there's race and class restrictions, so we'll see how I feel once I get up there.

As a recent FF 14 convert myself, I highly recommend the Noclip documentary on what an unmitigated disaster the 1.0 launch was and how it grew into the game it is now. Fair warning that it's a couple total hours of time, but it's well done.

• Like 2

I've been more and more tempted to play FF14. I was playing ESO for a little bit, but the story is hard to follow and not that engaging. It just lost me after awhile.

But with all the ads for FF14 and hearing it talked about on the Giant Bombcast, I really might give it a shot.