DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I am finally playing Borderlands 2 - I tried playing it on Vita, of all things, a few years back, but it was a terrible experience, and then I tried playing it on PSTV with a PS4 controller, but I didn't stick with it for some reason - and anyway, is it just me, or is this game really easy? I guess part of it is that maybe I'm playing with a cheese character (the teenage girl with the robotic helper as her special), but I also played a bit with the gunner, and yeah, it's still pretty simple. You get a bit of a boost with a couple of extra badass tokens, but it doesn't seem like a substantial boost.

I'm still enjoying the game, mind you. It's really fun kill-loot-kill gameplay loop stuff with lots of missions to finish and satisfying elemental effects for many of the guns (burn elemental guns are still my favorite). The pew-pew feels good. I am just trying to remember if Borderlands was always easy or what. 

Regarding MK11, I'll get it as soon as it's on sale. That last video looked so freaking cool. I'm guessing one of the two additional guests is Ash. Not exactly a stretch to predict that one. 

31 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I am finally playing Borderlands 2 - I tried playing it on Vita, of all things, a few years back, but it was a terrible experience, and then I tried playing it on PSTV with a PS4 controller, but I didn't stick with it for some reason - and anyway, is it just me, or is this game really easy? I guess part of it is that maybe I'm playing with a cheese character (the teenage girl with the robotic helper as her special), but I also played a bit with the gunner, and yeah, it's still pretty simple. You get a bit of a boost with a couple of extra badass tokens, but it doesn't seem like a substantial boost.

I'm still enjoying the game, mind you. It's really fun kill-loot-kill gameplay loop stuff with lots of missions to finish and satisfying elemental effects for many of the guns (burn elemental guns are still my favorite). The pew-pew feels good. I am just trying to remember if Borderlands was always easy or what. 

It is easy in that the enemies scale with you so for the most part you can beat anything until you run into a random boss or two where it is suddenly like "What the Fuck?". This is especially true if you pay attention to the recommended level for the quests/missions/story etc... As long as you aren't trying to do something like 20 levels above you its fine.

But yeah Gaige wasn't an original character - she was DLC. So that also might be a difference from the last time you tried playing

• Like 1

Gun Level is more important than character level, for the most part. Even then it doesn't really start to become super important until UVHM where you really do need to be upgrading your guns regularly or good luck progressing. The damage numbers start spiking more and more per level as you go to the point where it starts getting very significant even one or two levels apart at 50+. UVHM all enemies and loot also start scaling to your level, which is when a lot of the early game uniques suddenly become actually great because you can always find on-level versions.

Gaige is not a cheese character, unless you are far enough into the game and knowledgeable enough to have worked out her fucking weird elemental rocket launcher build.

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons I am excited for Borderlands 3, two had a really comprehensive and pretty tough endgame that made it the kind of thing you could dump insane hours into. Presequel only half counts since so much of the game was worked on by a different studio (and honestly, I don't hate it, the actual character powers and designs were very fun).

My copy of Fire Pro Joshi: AJW All-Star Dream Slam came in like a week early. You have no idea how excited I am about this. I also bought an original copy of the strategy guide because I'm a geek and I'm loving 90s joshi more than any current wrestling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Regarding MK11, I'll get it as soon as it's on sale. That last video looked so freaking cool. I'm guessing one of the two additional guests is Ash. Not exactly a stretch to predict that one. 

He was leaked to be the other guest along with The Terminator (Check out the Terminator knockoff music at the end of the Shang Tsung trailer after the chainsaw sounds for Ash).  The Switch version was done by a different team and they left in all the intro dialogue text for all of the DLC characters.  So far everyone revealed was in the leak.

A lot of the Terminator intros reference other Arnold movies specifically, so it's looking like he's going to be playing the Terminator in the game.

So was the Joker, but there were enough people leaked for a second Kombat Pack - along with Fujin and someone else.  Sheeva I think.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Thanks 1

Baraka, Rain, and Sindel in Story Mode in MKX and not playable as DLC in the last one, because they just kind of reused assets from the previous game and updated their looks a bit.

I figure this is happening for the same reasons.  They cut and pasted shit from the last game and they're not complete characters.  When you fight Cyrax and Sektor they're just using stuff from Triborg in MKX, and you'll notice they never hit you with a Fatal Blow because they don't have one programmed.  The people in the last game like this didn't have X-Rays. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have zero clue if any of these games have Platinums that have an online part but heads up anyway (and again its only PS3)

All 3 games have multiplayer trophies (that you need for the plat).

Uncharted 2, 3 & The Last of Us not only have online trophies for their Platinums but also DLC trophies that are online. Yay. I 100% Uncharted 2 and will be working on Uncharted 3. I did the online for TLOU PS3 years ago.

Got my 141st Platinum trophy with Paladins. A F2P Overwatch clone. Sorta fun.

Got a package from Japan yesterday.  Now own PS3 import versions of Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, and Okami.  On PS3, those three games were mostly digital releases.  Only Japan/Asia got physical releases.  Fortunately, Capcom put multi-language support in to many/most of the R2 and R3 PS3 releases.  

I'm ridiculously happy to get these, considering I own all three games on multiple platforms, including PS4.  I'm not even a big RE fan and really only like the series once it became more of an action adventure than survival horror (RE 4 on).  Okami got re-remasted for PS4 but the PS4 version is easy to obtain.  I bought mine from Best Buy.  As a collector, I'm much more interested in the PS3 remaster that I had to import.

Anyone own a copy of Biohazard: Revival Selection for PS3?  The physical/retail edition wasn't released outside of Asia.  I know that the R2 release contains English voice acting but doesn't contain English subtitles.  I'm not sure if the menus are Japanese only or support English.  I've seen it listed both ways on the internet.  If anyone knows for sure whether or not the menus are in English, let me know.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1

I wandered back into WoW and GTAV to take a break from unsuccessfully grinding a S+ in Hardcore for RE2.  WoW's still kinda fun, although I think I'm missing a ton of the Legion content that they removed, and I'm not sold enough to drop the money on BoA.

With the PS4 sale going on, I wound up getting Spider-Man, Doom, and also made sure to download the Borderlands collection and Sonic Mania. I only had a chance to play Doom and Borderlands 2 last night. Boy, do not play those two back to back. Doom is fucking awesome. It's so frenetically paced and fun. When I then jumped over to play Borderlands 2, I felt like I was running through mud. I also kept falling asleep while playing it, which was the same problem I had when I played it back on the 360. That opening to the game is really boring.

Going to try to get in some time playing Spider-Man tonight. I also need to play some more of the Witcher 3.

I don't even think that Borderlands assessment is unfair, and I think it's actually part of the reason a lot of hardcore shooter players don't like it, but it's really popular with FPS casuals. Personally I am finding it harder and harder to actually keep up with the pace of some FPS games and the chunky style of Borderlands is actually part of the appeal for me. But if you hate that kind of feel, that's just not going to click.

I think I like Doom so far because it's so different than any other FPS I've played. I think games like Apex Legends, Halo, and Destiny are about the perfect pace. Black Ops 4 and Battlefield 4 too.

Wolfenstein Young Blood looks really fun, but I need to finish The New Colossus first. I wish I had a VR set, because Cyberpilot looks awesome and I'm all about the Wolfenstein series tbh.

I liked DOOM, but something is lost when you have to turn up the brightness to even see anything.

Edited by Casey

Borderlands 2 does start slowly, but I'm enjoying it now.

I didn't like DOOM, but I do like FPS games with fast pacing. I think Bulletstorm is like the best thing ever, for example. 

Maybe I just like Gearbox shooters because I also loved Brothers In Arms.

Edited by Smelly McUgly

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Borderlands 2 does start slowly, but I'm enjoying it now.

I didn't like DOOM, but I do like FPS games with fast pacing. I think Bulletstorm is like the best thing ever, for example. 

Maybe I just like Gearbox shooters because I also loved Brothers In Arms.

I'm really just now digging into the PS3 generation after not owning a PS3 or X360 when they were current gen.  As I said a page or so back, PS3 is slowly becoming my favorite system.  I've just discovered Borderlands and Bulletstorm and played both for the first time this past weekend.  Love both.

I'm having trouble finding "realistic" shooters i like (Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms, etc.).  I mostly gravitate towards the over-the-top sci-fi ones like 'Vanquish.