DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I kind of want to get a PS4 Pro if it's going to be relatively on sale in a couple of weeks, but I doubt it's worth spending what amounts to a future car payment on the thing.  Especially since I have an XBone that sits there unused, aside from watching TV & movies (bought it for RDR2, have not even played that once in the several months since, even though I impulse-bought the console *for* that game...and because it's a native 4K player, but the game!  Tells you what a shitty gamer I am). 

Talk me out of this dumb decision, please. 

Or into it.  Take your pick.

One of the weekly challenges in Rocket League was to win a Solo Standard match with a certain Topper. This is a type of Ranked match where it's 3 vs 3, but random teams, so you can't play with squadmates. Got the one win easily, figured I might as well stay in the mode and complete the ten matches, just to see what rank I am (I've never completed a ranked playlist before). Went 7-3, got Gold ranked. I'll take it, but I'm pretty sure I don't deserve it. Really don't want to play an 11th game now, because I'll almost certainly get demoted to Silver immediately. I prefer Casual anyway. Far fewer toxic tryhards.

Anybody try out that WWE Universe mobile game they put out yesterday?  It's not too bad so far though I'm not sure how into it I'll be after a couple weeks.  But anybody up for a DVDVR club on there?

Whoa, they got Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa to do that shit up. I liiiiike that. And he looks bad ass in the game shifting between all of those characters and still having his old trademark moves as well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I kind of want to get a PS4 Pro if it's going to be relatively on sale in a couple of weeks, but I doubt it's worth spending what amounts to a future car payment on the thing.  Especially since I have an XBone that sits there unused, aside from watching TV & movies (bought it for RDR2, have not even played that once in the several months since, even though I impulse-bought the console *for* that game...and because it's a native 4K player, but the game!  Tells you what a shitty gamer I am). 

Talk me out of this dumb decision, please. 

Or into it.  Take your pick.

Save your money for the PS5 and remastered RDR2. 

Guest The Magnificent 7
4 hours ago, Raziel said:

Well, everyone does it at some point.

Everybody Shang Tsung!

my copy of Hollow Knight for the Switch arrived today. way behind the times as usual, but i'm 2 1/2 hours in and loving this game. i accidentally skipped the opening cinematic so a little confused on what is happening but it's all good

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Ordered Kingdom Hearts III Thursday since it was $30. I've only played the first 2 so I know I'll be a bit lost on the story. How is the gameplay?

The basic combat is the same as the previous ones. They've added a couple of extra bits from "Dream Drop Distance" that, at least so far, aren't too difficult to use and can mostly be ignored.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 2:49 PM, Death From Above said:

If you are interested in it, Google "CIty of Heroes Homecoming Forum", instructions are pretty easy to find from there. 

The old studio that ran the game so far hasn't done a thing to stop it, even after it kinda blew up in popularity again, so I am assuming it's not breaking any big rule to say that.

I think it's more like NCSoft doesn't want to go through the hassle of issuing C&Ds to every single user now that this has blown up. As long as people aren't actively sharing the game code, they're going to stand pat.

Since I really don't feel like waiting like 18 months for the Steam release of Phoenix Point but really have an itch for that style of game right now, I grabbed all the XCOM Enemy Unknown DLC at 75% off as I've only ever played the base game, then installed the Long War mod, then the mod that rebalances the Long War mod (lol). Fuck my free time for a while, I guess.

I'm shocked to be saying this, but the PS3 may be my favorite console ever.  I was a huge PS2 fan (though a lot of the games haven't aged well, for various reasons) but I basically drifted out of gaming during the PS3's lifespan.  When I got back into it, I picked up the AAA titles on X360 and intended to pick up a PS3 mainly for remasters and fighting games.

I've slowly learned to love the PS3.  Sure, a lot of the multi-platform titles are marginally better on X360, but the differences are usually slight.  And, as a collector, I'm loving the PS3 import library.  Virtually everything is region-free and quite a few of the Asia Pacific have English language support.  Got the AS editions of Last Guy, echochrome ii, and Lost in the Rain in the mail today).  

My PS3 wantlist - still incomplete - is huge and I've learned to like the hardware.  Recently picked up an red import PS3 console from Japan (the red slim, not the God of War super slim model).  Don't like the clear plastic cases, but I don't really like the cases of any 7th/8th gen console.

Oh, and I'm currently addicted to Tokyo Jungle.  Great game.

• Like 1

I have temporarily conquered my depression and I have played some video games and like twooooo? threeee? people have found my perspective helpful, so Have Some.

PIXEL PUZZLE COLLECTION [4]
"ok so what is this"
It's picross on your phone but made by Konami so the puzzles are all old Konami sprites and music.
"oh god, Konami. so how much does it cost"
It's free.
"lol free to download but how much do all the games cost"
No, it's free.
"lolol ok but how many ads are in it"
None.
"does it play like crap"
Nah, it's kind of perfect mechanically. You like poke the part you want to fill in, and then you can drag your finger to fill in the rest of the lines, and it'll like count how many squares you've filled as you're dragging so you can put down exactly as many as you want just by touching, dragging, and letting go.
"... so konami put out a good game that plays with it's own heritage and no part of it is walled behind fifteen tons of bad business"
Yes.
"how"
lol idfk
"lol"

DAUNTLESS [3]
Basically, it's Western Monster Hunter that's totally free to play and has complete cross play across all systems it's on. So, it feels like the future. For a lot of people, this is going to be totally awesome and a lot of fun. Stop reading now and go enjoy yourself if you think you might be interested and are not a veteran Monster Hunter player.

I'm coming to this from a lot of experience with Monster Hunter, and a long history of being extremely particular about action games. From that perspective, Dauntless isn't doing it for me. I understand why they made every choice I don't like- Free to play games do better when they're cartoony, MonHun is WAY too punishing and arcane, they're Epic so of course they're just lifting the battle pass wholesale... the real problem is that it feels empty. Like, because everything is so convenient and sped up, I don't get any time to relish and I don't get any time to just relax and hang out in the environments, aside from the hub area where everyone just spits punchy quips all day (DEAR GAME INDUSTRY: STOP DOING THIS). What it adds up to is that I have felt no sense of accomplishment from beating bosses. Like, compare and contrast- when you beat an enemy in Monster Hunter, fanfare plays, you loot the monster, you get like a full minute to dance around and be a real dumbass with your friends and maybe pick up parts you missed or items in the area. In Dauntless, when the monster dies, a stinger plays, a bunch of cloudy orbs fall to the ground, it says "(name of monster) slain!' and you get maybe five seconds of running around before it slams you into a result screen and a screen with eight pounds worth of bars to fill up. It feels empty and unsatisfying, like some kind of fucked up productivity app strapped to a game about controlling the Enormous Gila Monster population.

and i miss the fucking hunting horn. what is the point of hitting dinosaurs if I can't do it with a 12 foot tall bagpipe.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:04 AM, Doc Townsend said:

I'm shocked to be saying this, but the PS3 may be my favorite console ever.  I was a huge PS2 fan (though a lot of the games haven't aged well, for various reasons) but I basically drifted out of gaming during the PS3's lifespan.  When I got back into it, I picked up the AAA titles on X360 and intended to pick up a PS3 mainly for remasters and fighting games.

I've slowly learned to love the PS3.  Sure, a lot of the multi-platform titles are marginally better on X360, but the differences are usually slight.  And, as a collector, I'm loving the PS3 import library.  Virtually everything is region-free and quite a few of the Asia Pacific have English language support.  Got the AS editions of Last Guy, echochrome ii, and Lost in the Rain in the mail today).  

My PS3 wantlist - still incomplete - is huge and I've learned to like the hardware.  Recently picked up an red import PS3 console from Japan (the red slim, not the God of War super slim model).  Don't like the clear plastic cases, but I don't really like the cases of any 7th/8th gen console.

Oh, and I'm currently addicted to Tokyo Jungle.  Great game.

If you like PS3 import games, check out Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost. Probably one of the best Gundam games in the last 10 years. There's also the deep, dark well of visual novel games on PS3 but I don't recommend that.