DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

The annoucement of the new Ghost Recon coming out in October has kicked me in the ass to finally try to finish up GR: Wildlands.  I orignally tapped out abouta year ago when I finished a mission, and had no idea how to start another because the whole map was blank. I fired it up in December to see if I could somehow find how to keep going and only found the bonus mission, which I was hopelessly stuck on. But after tooling around a bit last night, I was finally able to keep the campaign going. 

Got my 140th Platinum trophy last night with Fuse on PS3. VERY underrated game and actually a lot of fun. Developed by Insomniac and published by EA (I know right). The ending leads open a sequel that never happened. Next up on Platinum'ing: either Star Wars: The Force Unleashed or Devil May Cry 2 HD.

Edited by Andrew POE!

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

My Tennessee game collecting homies recommend Play N Trade and Gametrader.

They're both about an hour away from me. Game X Change is only about 20ish minutes from where I live, in the next town over. So I guess I'll check that one out when I'm back that way, which happens fairly often. But I didn't know about Play N Trade and Gametrader, and Murfreesboro isn't that big of a deal to get to - so thanks for that! And shout out to @John E. Dynamite for telling me about a store I didn't even know about that's in my hometown. Cool stuff.

I'm still going to drop some coin on eBay, but maybe I can find some good stuff at these stores as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

They're both about an hour away from me. Game X Change is only about 20ish minutes from where I live, in the next town over. So I guess I'll check that one out when I'm back that way, which happens fairly often. But I didn't know about Play N Trade and Gametrader, and Murfreesboro isn't that big of a deal to get to - so thanks for that! And shout out to @John E. Dynamite for telling me about a store I didn't even know about that's in my hometown. Cool stuff.

I'm still going to drop some coin on eBay, but maybe I can find some good stuff at these stores as well.

The Great Escape occasionally gets stuff, but you pretty much have to be a regular because of numbers.

They opened a Murfreesboro location a while back. (Haven't visited there, yet.)

Apparently I need to move to Murfreesboro because they just have everything. If this was 10 years ago, I was in that town every weekend. Now the only time I ever go there is if I have dental surgery ? Might need to carve out some time next week to go to these stores, since I just did 20 hours over time last week and that's a real nice paycheck. 

• Haha 1

I dont remember anything about my one trip to Murfreesboro in 95 or 96. I went to the university to have a meeting with a prof that I wanted to study with for what i thought was going to be my PhD. 

I really love the E Shop on my Switch, it reminds me of going to the video store when I was a kid. I would not have game magazines or the internet, I just had to look at the box and make a guess. With the sales my Switch store has, I can afford to gamble on different stuff. I have only been burnt once on a truly shitty game. But it was so cheap, it didn't matter.  My favorite thing this week is something called Guns Gore and Cannoli. It is a side scrolling shooter where you play a Mafia hit man fighting zombies among other things. Has a Metal Slug vibe and is really fun. I just wish it had online multiplayer.

Guest The Magnificent 7

My sons got Jump Force and their gaming sessions generally consist of me asking them where half these dudes are from. I mean I recognize the DBZ dudes and some guys from Fist of the North Star and Yu Yu Hakusho, but my anime exposure is clearly out of date. 

what about flying to japan and buying a limited edition wonderswan

or modding my gamecube for the sole sake of spending less money on a GBA player

or starting a neo geo pocket collection

are those stupid ideas too cause i have a lot of stupid ideas that i can't afford

Edited by John E. Dynamite

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

what about flying to japan and buying a limited edition wonderswan

or modding my gamecube for the sole sake of spending less money on a GBA player

or starting a neo geo pocket collection

are those stupid ideas too cause i have a lot of stupid ideas that i can't afford

Starting an NGP collection is always an good idea

So I bought a year of Antstream in their kickstarter because I hadn't done anything on a whim for a while and I have fond memories of Gametap (and then I spent 5x as much on the PSVR, ha). The beta started today and I played with it for about 2 hrs.The emulation was very good on all but one of the games I experimented with, the interface is annoying in the same ways modern Netflix is: I just want you to give me an alphabetical listing of every Genesis game you have, not make me do a full search 'cause your "similar to things you've played" list is full of Spectrum games.

One thing to be aware of, this is a VERY UK-centric platform, the C-64, Amiga and ZX Spectrum catalogues are much better than the US and JP ones.

So, Watch Dogs One. Late in the penultimate chapter of the story. At this point my reputation is at 100% babyface, I've shut down every Gang hideout in the city, caught a serial killer, broke up a human trafficking ring, wiped out all the arms dealers, and now the police are after me with shoot on sight orders because the storyline requires it. And there's this 'sneak your sister out of the city' mission where it's all stealth driving. Which is annoying, but the police patrols looking for me aren't following a pre programmed route that you learn and can figure out the timing of. No, they drive around randomly. In this case, randomly means 'constantly converging on players location even though they have absolutely no way of knowing where it could be'. Super frustrating. Then you get away and it spawns fresh cops on your route, and gives you no time to avoid them. And if they spot you, mission failed, start over. And you have to listen to the same lame game dialogue all over again. What joy.

Started getting back into City of Heroes now that that particular cat is out of the bag. Maybe you can't go home again, and I'm running an older laptop that heats up fairly quickly, but for now I'm having a blast jumping on and rolling a new toon whenever my alt-itis kicks in. Next step is to hit Paragon chat and see about reconnecting with my old SG mates.

I tried out City of Heroes (actually, City of Villains) after seeing a streamer fooling around with it.

I have no real nostalgia for it so I kinda bounced right off the old-school MMO gameplay, but I will say that character creator is fucking awesome and there are plenty of modern games that could learn from it even now. Also the cell-shade mod that is built in to the options now is one hell of a fresh coat of paint for a bronze age MMO.

So, the Witness...

Loving it so far, I'm amazed a no-frills puzzle game can be so engaging belayed by its amazing surroundings. However, the jungle puzzles (where you have to mimic the pitch of the bird calls while distractions interject) nearly reduced my to tears of frustration!

18 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I tried out City of Heroes (actually, City of Villains) after seeing a streamer fooling around with it.

I have no real nostalgia for it so I kinda bounced right off the old-school MMO gameplay, but I will say that character creator is fucking awesome and there are plenty of modern games that could learn from it even now. Also the cell-shade mod that is built in to the options now is one hell of a fresh coat of paint for a bronze age MMO.

It really is still a joy to play with. If I never stepped foot into the MMO again, I could still amuse myself for hours just playing with costumes and whatnot. I typically have a bunch of ideas bouncing around my head and this is the closest thing to a perfect outlet for it unless I magically gain the drawing ability of George Perez.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wait, City of Heroes is still going? I thought that was shut down? Or was that Guild Wars?

City of Heroes was shut down, there's some kind of a fan-run server that was kind of an open secret for a while and then Kotaku did a story on it and it kinda blew up.

Guild Wars is somehow still going despite Guild Wars 2 also existing.

If you are interested in it, Google "CIty of Heroes Homecoming Forum", instructions are pretty easy to find from there. 

The old studio that ran the game so far hasn't done a thing to stop it, even after it kinda blew up in popularity again, so I am assuming it's not breaking any big rule to say that.