DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 5/14/2019 at 4:58 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

Bruh, The Witness was free a couple months ago on PS+. Did you not download it?

Anyway, I love perspective puzzles and line puzzles, and this game had a bunch of really dope ones. Just ignore the fact that Jon Blow is a complete idiot who happens to be a savant at puzzles and also ignore the pretentious crap that he likes to add to his awesome puzzle games. 

I don't have +, I'm a sporadic gamer at best... and the pretentious crap is what I like most about his games haha. I've done a couple of puzzles and have a feeling I'm going to have to go old school and bust out the ol' dotted paper notebook

• Like 1

The anniversary edition of Guilty Gear is literally just the PS1 game in a wrapper that puts a frame around the screen. All the sprites look really zoomed in and blobby, so they may have doubled the size of things to keep the play field from filling too little of the screen, I have a bad eye for that. Either way, it's cool to finally get to play the first game in a series whose sequels I love but I'm gonna do every character's story once and then never touch it again 

12 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The anniversary edition of Guilty Gear is literally just the PS1 game in a wrapper that puts a frame around the screen. All the sprites look really zoomed in and blobby, so they may have doubled the size of things to keep the play field from filling too little of the screen, I have a bad eye for that. Either way, it's cool to finally get to play the first game in a series whose sequels I love but I'm gonna do every character's story once and then never touch it again 

It's a shame this and Castlevania Anniversary Collection didn't have Platinums. I would bought both this week.

For absolutely no reason at all, on a whim, I bought a modded SNES that'll play Super Famicom games. Now I'm going down the rabbit hole of eBay of finding decent/good CIB versions of all the Marvel/DC, TMNT and Power Rangers games. This is going to be an expensive collection hobby, but I'm here for it because this is my childhood all over again.

Then somehow I found a random All Japan game, and went down that rabbit hole of wrestling games (mainly from Japan) - and holy shit that's going to cost me an entire paycheck some of these games, like the FMW game that's in the style of Street Fighter?!? All Japan Women?! All of these Fire Pro games?! Ughhhhh. Doesn't help that the box art for all of these games are pretty wicked looking (just like most of the Marvel games).

Damnit.

A couple of the All Japan games rule for SNES.

Fight De Pon is the shit but I would need a patched translation to do anything more than fuck around and the games from the series that became Natsume Pro Wrestling were good.  You can be Danny Spivey in one of them.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

Other SNES wrestling gold:

Jikkyo Pro Wrestling Max Voltage ( I might be butchering the title) - this game kicks fucking ass

There's this one that has a title that escapes me.  The graphics are complete dogshit but you can have ten people in the ring at once.  You look kind of like Lego men and it has people from all over the world, but when you wrestle in the promotions you have to fight by their rules.  So when I went to the lucha promotion as The Undertaker, I lost by DQ because they actually made martinetes illegal, which was cool as shit.

EDIT:  This is that game

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Thanks 1

Since it movies and tv and video games I am just dumping it here

Not a single IP is mentioned as in the works so take that for what it is worth

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Other SNES wrestling gold:

Jikkyo Pro Wrestling Max Voltage ( I might be butchering the title) - this game kicks fucking ass

A million years ago when I was a far more helpful human being, I cobbled together the English gamefaqs for this game as best as I could despite not being able to read Japanese. It was a super good couch co-op game plus you had the weird fun of being able to run Legally Distinct Onita vs Legally Distinct Inoki in exploding deathmatches. I actually think a wrestling game with that exact same art and sound style would be a niche hit with Switch players these days. It was a really cool game.

The All-Japan game for PS1 that was the predecessor to the King of Colliseum games was ridiculously ahead of its time. I loved that it saved your title histories so that when you had triple crown matches you could see the whole in-game belt history.

10 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

A couple of the All Japan games rule for SNES.

Fight De Pon is the shit but I would need a patched translation to do anything more than fuck around and the games from the series that became Natsume Pro Wrestling were good.  You can be Danny Spivey in one of them.

Isn't Natsume Championship Wrestling just a conversion of Zen Nippon Dash? Natsume was one of the first I found, along with Hammerlock (which is the Tenyru game in Japan), but then I started seeing the Famicom games and eventually found a modded SNES, so... here we are. I wouldn't mind buying Natsume and Hammerlock, but I hate that it's unlicensed. But that being said, I'll probably end up getting Saturday Night Slam Masters.

Has anyone played the Tenryu game I mentioned? Or the NJPW games on Famicom?

So after 2 solid months of overtime and 2.5 years of oohing and aahing at demo units, I bought a PSVR.  (Got the Borderlands/Beat Saber bundle).  Rez and Tetris Effect feel like THE argument for "gamepad" VR, just playing a normal game but your HMD will let you work the camera to look behind you and shit. They're gorgeous and crazy.  Beat Saber is everything it's cracked up to be, WipeOut Omega is pretty but I can't play that game in first person apparently.  SUPERHOT is incredibly intense in short bursts but I find it more frustrating to fail than I do in the non-VR version, maybe because being rooted to the spot limits your dodging options so badly.  Polybius feels like it stepped out of the Dactyl Nightmare-era VR rigs, and that's not necessarily terrible.  I'm finding Borderlands incredibly frustrating, because the lens shape and text size make it really hard for me to read menus and HUDs.  That's more than enough to warn me away from other Bethesda VR ports.  (For the record, I bought SUPERHOT VR having loved the original, everything else I mentioned is either on PS NOW or it works in non-VR and I already had it).  Long story short, I don't regret dropping 10 hrs worth of OT on this thing, right now I'm more interested in the Enhance games and Beat Saber than anything else I've seen, and I wish I had someone to play Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes with.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

So does anybody have any alternative suggestions on where to buy boxed SNES games besides eBay?

What does your mom 'n pop situation look like locally?

I guess that I should note that one of the local places in my area (more of a small franchise than a mom 'n pop, actually) not only has physical locations, but an online store that you can click this clause of the sentence to reach.  Their prices are kinda bullshit, but if you really want a boxed game with a manual, you can find them here. 

EDIT: Of course, they have a lot of cart-only stuff, but boxed stuff shows up there fairly regularly. If you're in Austin or the PNW, you might want to actually just go to the physical location, as they tend to have more boxed stuff there. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

This is the best I could come up with- the Game X Change chain has a significant presence in the southern states, including eleven store in Tennessee. Some of which aren't far from parts of both Left Bumfuck and Right Bumfuck. It would be fair to assume that the stores ship stuff to-and-from each other frequently enough that you could have something brought over to the one closest to you.

http://www.gogamexchange.com/

I hit up Packard's in Knoxville once a year and Game X Change always comes up in conversation, I just never get far enough west to go to one of them.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

I luckily live close enough to the US branch of the famous Japanese Retro Game Camp store and would suggest checking them out if you're ever in LA's Little Tokyo, because it seems like the only one that does any kind of shipping is the Japanese store, which is insane.  Plus Little Tokyo is tremendous and there's all kinds of cool stuff there (especially the food).

They don't have a ton of boxed stuff but holy shit they have the best selection of SFC shit I've ever seen in person, and I've gone to a lot of import stores back in my having to import every Firepro game stage of my life.

Edited by Tromatagon

Love me some Little Tokyo. Last time I was there I was so caught up in the pinball tables at EightyTwo and stuffing my face with Wurstküche I forgot to do anything Tokyo-related.

EDIT: Oh shit, RGC must have been that place in the mall that was closed on Tuesday. I think I fogged up their windows.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

Yeah they kind of stopped with the puro magazines.  From time to time you might spot one at Kinokuniya but for the most part they've stopped getting them.

and RGC is for sure the place that is closed Tuesdays.  I think the Anime Jungle stores surrounding it used to close a random day of the week too, but now they're open seven days.

Edited by Tromatagon