DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

5 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I think I would feel about as uncomfortable playing MK on the bus as I do watching something like Berserk

I've never been a MK fan, so watching some of the fatalities in the new game just makes me shake my head in ... not quite repulsion, but something a little less strong. I'd say old man yelling at clouds, but I hated stuff like that when I was young too. ?

• Like 1

Those fatalities are so over-the-top that they don't phase me. They're the modern-day version of uppercutting someone and having like fifty ribcages explode out of them.

Plus some of them, like Johnny Cage's "The Shining" fatality from X, are legitimately - and I mean this - creatively brilliant. 

Honestly nothing I've seen in 11 is as squicky as the multiple fatals in X where you slice the front third off someone's head and see the remains of their brain and tongue in the cavities of their head

Edited by Cliff Hanger

21 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Honestly nothing I've seen in 11 is as squicky as the multiple fatals in X where you slice the front third off someone's head and see the remains of their brain and tongue in the cavities of their head

It drives me nuts I've actually seen that in a movie or HBO/Starz show somewhere and can't remember where.

Having watched the story mode of 11 I think one of the reason the game works is (just like 9) it makes no effort to take its own bullshit overly seriously. Very Serious Mortal Kombat's fucking awful. Self-Aware This Is The Dumbest Game Mortal Kombat works much better.

9 hours ago, Raziel said:

It drives me nuts I've actually seen that in a movie or HBO/Starz show somewhere and can't remember where.

Spartacus? I think that's how he kills the seven foot German guy (played by Conan Stevens), slicing the front of his face off.

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

I first remember seeing it from the Christian Bale "Emotions are bad in the future" movie. 

23 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I do have to throw in one caveat for the switch version outside of it being like not the technical powerhouse graphically of some of the other versions (it still looks good even undocked from what I've seen) - it's outsourced to another developer, and just a port.  It's a couple of updates behind already and will probably continue to be.  This only really matters if something really fucked up happens but all of the quality of life changes for PS4/XB1 are going to happen faster.

In that case I'll definitely wait awhile before getting it to allow for stuff like that to get sorted out (even if it is a delayed update schedule)

Man, it took me a couple of days to realize just what torture the Krypt is in it's current state.  The randomly located chests, without the ability to seek out specific unlocks, is completely fucked.  It also doesn't help that it feels much darker and harder to navigate than the one in X.

Ten Months of Rocket League, and only now do I get to have an Axe embedded in my roof? I'm liking this new Rocket Pass v3. Has weekly challenges too, for bonus reward tiers in addition to the ones you get for levelling up.

Randomly got another RL trophy today as well. Got a turtle in Aquadome.

The MK11 patch that fixes all the shit everyone hated about the Towers of Time is now live, and I think the hush money apology reward is too (I'm at work and can't test it for another half hour).

It actually helps a lot with unfucking the game economy.  

don't remember if i posted it here (and i didn't see it in a cursory search) but i listened to a podcast about Final Fantasy 7 like a month ago. It sparked interest in playing the game a bit again, as it's been probably 10 years. popped in the ps1 disc, and......no save file on the memory card. goddammit. so now i'm 45 hours into this game that i only wanted to play for 10 minutes, cuz i'll be damned if i'm not going to breed a gold chocobo, and get everybody's final weapons/limit breaks, and do all of the shit all the way through. stopped at the entrance to the final cave or whatever on disc 3. i have no interest in beating the game, i just like playing it and completing all the side quests and stuff. 

it felt good to play through it again, but i hope my memory card doesn't erase my save file any time soon. back to my regularly scheduled backlog!

• Haha 1

Went ahead and started Hideo Kojima's Boktai: The Sun is In Your Hand for the Game Boy Advance. That weird little game that came out 15-ish years ago that had a sunlight sensor. Wasn't really sure what to expect but I'm pleased to report that it's basically Metal Gear: Ghost Babel with vampires.

I spent a couple hours with the City of Heroes pirate server that made news this past week.  It was a weird mix of comfort food with the realization that I will never again invest emotionally in a MMO the way I did CoH in the aughts, because I will never again be an unemployed twenty something with no other social outlets. I'll probably use it in the same way I did Marvel Heroes, as a thing to do with my hands and eyes while binge-listening to sitcoms, until legal threats or the cost of running the servers kills it.  But it's weirdly comforting to know that I don't really care that much.

Decided to work on my backlog, so I'm playing Watch Dogs 1. I think I'm doing it wrong. It's supposed to be a hacking thing, not a cover shooter, right? Because I'm playing it as a cover shooter, and I'm doing OK. They make a big deal of how you can hack traffic lights and make them green. Fine, but... since when did anyone driving in a video game ever pay attention to traffic lights?

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Decided to work on my backlog, so I'm playing Watch Dogs 1. I think I'm doing it wrong. It's supposed to be a hacking thing, not a cover shooter, right? Because I'm playing it as a cover shooter, and I'm doing OK. They make a big deal of how you can hack traffic lights and make them green. Fine, but... since when did anyone driving in a video game ever pay attention to traffic lights?

I never made it that far into Watch Dogs because I hated the cover shooting so much, so it may change as you get further, but in my experience the story missions are largely cover shooter and the sandbox dick-around elements are hacking-driven.  As for cars obeying traffic signals, I remember it being a huge deal in San Andreas that CPU cars would run red lights since previously they were all mechanically law-abiding.  After that...GTA5 I remember MOST cars obeying the law with a few wild cards thrown in to make it more interesting and realistic, but by and large most non-Saints Row games seem to have pretty sedate traffic.

22 hours ago, AxB said:

I actually played the game more as a stealth game and use the hacks to distract guards, kill guards, act like Batman with a gun. Using the traffic lights weren't important unless you were beating the time trials and didn't want traffic to get in the way.