DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I bought AssCreed:Odyssey in the PSN flash sale.  One of my favorite gaming things is the opening hours of an AssCreed game when you're just kind of running around a historical site, climbing shit and doing sidequests.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I bought AssCreed:Odyssey in the PSN flash sale.  One of my favorite gaming things is the opening hours of an AssCreed game when you're just kind of running around a historical site, climbing shit and doing sidequests.

Then you've picked the right game.

• Haha 3

Just saw off the last boss of Sekiro and feel like I've won an Olympic gold medal. I'm not good at games, and I'll often tap out if a final boss puts up more than token resistance, but I finished all the Soulsbournes up till now and I wasn't letting this one beat me. Took me four hours today, and must have been close to ten over the last few days on this one bastard, but I could feel myself getting better, and slowly coming to see each of his attacks as potential openings. Amazing game, but someone needs to tell Fromsoft that this is the absolute peak of how difficult they should ever go. The mechanics are masterful, it's always fair even when it doesn't feel like it, but they need to slam their multiple healthbar boner in a car door, they're spirit crushing, especially when they're hidden.

Edited by SturmCRF

Guest The Magnificent 7

I started playing Conan Exiles on PS4. It’s a bit overwhelming with some of the crafting nuances. Stuff like how you break this hyena hide down into hyena stretch hides and what  recipe you need to unlock in order to make a hyena hide helmet aren’t exactly explained very well  

It is fun, though, and slicing creatures and people up Cimmerian style makes a minecraft game tolerable. 

Ehhh not really microtransactions unless you want to buy stuff without working for it, but there's some grindy shit that's really annoying that they're supposed to be patching to fix a bit.  They managed to actually make getting stuff more of a pain in the ass than the Injustice loot box system, apparently, and people complained so much that they had to preface yesterday's final Kombat Kast with "DON'T WORRY WE'RE FIXING IT" 

It seems like the pattern for AAA games seems to be "Put in a really annoying system everyone hates to see if we can get away with it, and if not, change it so we look like good guys that listen to our fans."  You wanted people to pay real money to circumvent the bullshit and now everyone is mad, you knew what you were doing.

Like I don't want to shit on Ronda's legit condition that probably made her voice acting suck but maybe audition people before you hire them

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2

I played the Boxboy + Boxgirl demo, and yeah, this game is getting my ten dollars on Friday.

I'll wait for Black Friday to get MK 11, which is when the game's base price will be about twenty bucks and then buying it + the DLC that I want will be somewhere between $45 and $60 bucks. I have no problem paying full price for the game, but then the DLC runs another $25 to $40, and that's a bit too much of an investment for me. 

The MK damage control that shows how fucked up what they tried to ship us was:

These are very good steps.

-Currency will be awarded far more often, and in greater numbers -Towers of Time has already gotten some reworks; enemies have much less health, formerly unblockable hazards are now blockable, other changes to make them feel like less of an impossible grind without the right items. -Clarified how the crypt is laid out: all chests contain the same items, but the locations of each chest are randomized for each player. So if two people go through the krypt and buy everything, they will end up with the exact same items by the end. -Rewarding all players a ton of currency today including 500,000 koins, 500 hearts, and other items to give everyone a quick early boost. -Explained that they didn't want to encourage people to spend more money on the game, which if you look at how the economy is currently laid out makes sense; it's not that the game is a Microtransaction Party, since you can get through tons of content without ever spending money, it's just an enormous time sink right now, it takes forever to do anything. You can't actually buy currency except for Krystals, which can only be spent on a small amount of items. -All these changes will hopefully be implemented by the end of this week, or at the latest, early next week. All seems like a solid first steps to fixing the game. Not that they should be let off the hook for setting this problem up in the first place, but it's at least a step in the right direction that is being implemented very quickly.

Yeah it really is.  It's a fun game with a good fighting system, everything looks super cool, etc.  I still haven't unlocked one of the skins that makes Kano kind of look like a bald Bennett from Commando though.  All I have is Austin Aries or the guy who does printer maintenance at work (MK3 version is a spitting image of the guy), and that's kind of bullshit.  

13 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The fact they basically had this ready to go right after launch says a ton, really.

Other than this unfortunate nonsense the game seems good.

For a AAA title I don't want to say it's become the norm but it's not as uncommon as it once was.  I'm interested in the game but will wait a bit after they iron out stuff like this.

And while PS4 is an option there is something about getting it on the Switch and playing that shit anywhere I go.  May have to see how that version is before buying.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I do have to throw in one caveat for the switch version outside of it being like not the technical powerhouse graphically of some of the other versions (it still looks good even undocked from what I've seen) - it's outsourced to another developer, and just a port.  It's a couple of updates behind already and will probably continue to be.  This only really matters if something really fucked up happens but all of the quality of life changes for PS4/XB1 are going to happen faster.