DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Downloading it now, it's only 2.4GB on Steam. Can't wait to see what this is all about.

I haven't played the game in a little over a year so it's weird. On one hand I understand the game on muscle memory but I remember where NOTHING is in the game world. I am trying a Warlock (Occultist/Arcanist) which is basically the opposite of the Death Knight (Soldier/life-steal focussed Necromancer) I beat the game with before. Got through most of act 1 today. Game still feels great. I love all the quality of life hardcore a-rpg player shit in this game. The built-in loot filter, blueprints unlocking account-wide forever, the single player oriented crafting system, the tooltip explanations for how shit like DPS and armor are calculated without having to look up a wiki. All that kind stuff is great, you can really tell Grim Dawn is a game both made by and designed for genre fans. Since it's act 1 I have basically done very little other than cast Dreeg's Evil Eye and Blood of Dreeg over and over. I don't really know where the hell I am going with the Constellation system and I should probably fire up that old Grim Dawn Tools bookmark before I get too deep in.

It's actually wild how different POE and Grim Dawn feel at this point. Both are very good games but POE is all about speed, speed, speed. Move fast, clear screens fast, everything is turbocharged. Grim Dawn feels a lot more like "Diablo II 2" than POE does, a lot more methodical, even though that used to be the POE sales pitch.

POE has a way better soundtrack if we're being honest, and the map system is a fantastic endgame, the best in the business. But there's a lot of shit I personally do prefer about Grim Dawn. I really do hate how so many idiot fans of both games can't just acknowledge both are good, though.

• Like 1

There's no way I'm spending almost $300 or whatever on Switch (maybe one day), but I went ahead and bought a New 3DS XL on eBay last weekend. It comes with Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. and a digital code for "Pokemon", so we'll see which version of Pokemon it is. But I've already got a huge selection of games sitting in a list on Amazon for me to buy when I feel the need for a new game (or to buy a bunch at one time).

• Marvel's Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet
  • Lego: Marvel Super Heroes
  • Lego: Marvel's Avengers
  • Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection 1
  • Sega 3D Classics Collection
  • Bravely Default
  • Bravely Second: End Layer
  • Kirby: Planet Robobot
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  • Pokemon Ultra Moon
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
  • The World Ends With You
  • 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  • Zero Time Dilemma

That's my selection to buy from, over a period of time. And as soon as I get the 3DS on Friday, I'm immediately buying Earthbound and diving into that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I haven't played the game in a little over a year so it's weird. [snip]

I have a level 58 Demolitionist/Inquisitor that basically shoots things in the face with her big boomstick and burns the rest. I started it on Veteran/normal and have not had too much of a problem through the first dungeon (just one stupid death from not paying attention). There's a definite Diablo II feel to this expansion so far, and choices you made earlier in the game are being referenced here. 

That, or deleting it from your HDD.

No, it's deleting it.

On the Path of Exile front, am I the only one kind of disappointed by mapping?  The whole system just feels ass-backwards.  "Grind loot until you can kill the big bad, then improve your stuff, so you can...do it all again?  But...I just...beat the guy."  I mean, sure, they have the Uber forms, but I can't ever see myself putting up with the sheer frustration of trying to do that (not to mention the idiotic 'lose 15% of your experience if you die' bullshit, and the fact that I didn't play it for 5 years and don't have the crafting system tattooed on the back of my eyelids, like you apparently need to to get an endgame build going).  So at the end of the day, it seems like you'd just grind currency, then buy crap from others, then beat the high-end bosses...for what?  There's never really felt like enough narrative connective tissue anyway.

I guess I'm trying to say I don't know why I play, except that it clearly feeds into my operant conditioning addiction.  But, I did give the Winter Orb-CWC-Ice Spear Scion build a go, and man, is it satisfying to crush Merciless Lab Izaro in about 4 seconds.  My 10-levels-lower Scion has about 3x the DPS of my piss-poor copy of Enki's Arc Witch build.

I can't even imagine what trying to do melee is like.  I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to find out, unless I do it in Standard.

Edited by Contentious C

9 hours ago, Casey said:

• 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
  • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  • Zero Time Dilemma

Yeah man. The first two games are some of the most rewarding storytelling I've ever seen the medium produce. ZTD... sure is something?

Just finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and immediately replayed the whole thing. Mechanics wise it is not the most groundbreaking game but it is absolutely gorgeous in a nightmarish way, and the use of sound is incredible. if you're someone like myself who knows a lot of people with mental illness but is lucky enough not to suffer, this will give you a brief perspective of what it's like. Highly recommended for both the experience and of the story.

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

Just purchased my first game from Limited Run Games.  I half expected some sort of hassle or technical problem, but checkout was extremely smooth and fast.  Kinda impressed.

I was able to snag a copy as well. 

If anybody missed out, they've got another batch set for sale at 6pm today...

PoE on PS4 is pretty good.  It runs shockingly well and the controls are well done, although doing inventory tetris with the controller is a bit fiddly.  The lack of mouse targeting also means that certain builds probably won't be viable on console.

I've only had a little time to noodle around with the Grim Dawn expansion but the Oathkeeper is basically Captain America and it rules.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

And now I've headcanoned Link to be a trans woman, thanks mid-1980s Japanese magazine.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:50 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

You'll probably receive the game sometime this summer.

Are they generally slow to ship?  Axiom Verge isn't a pre-order and I thought they said somewhere on social media that they had the game in-hand and would be shipping once the sale was completed.

Unsurprisingly, the 6PM batch sold out too fairly quickly.

There are a few other small publishers around that publish small runs of digital exclusives, right?  Anyone got names?  I'm probably more interested in someone publishing for the PS3/360/Wii U gen that PS4 or Switch.  I wish Last Run had started doing it's thing earlier.  So many good PS3 and Wii U games that never got a physical release.  I play digital games but physical releases generally get preference over downloadable games.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:02 AM, Doc Townsend said:

There are a few other small publishers around that publish small runs of digital exclusives, right?  Anyone got names?  I'm probably more interested in someone publishing for the PS3/360/Wii U gen that PS4 or Switch.  I wish Last Run had started doing it's thing earlier.  So many good PS3 and Wii U games that never got a physical release.  I play digital games but physical releases generally get preference over downloadable games.

found this list on another forum. haven't ordered from any of these companies except LRG:

Limited Run Games https://limitedrungames.com/

Strictly Limited Games https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/ 

Signature Edition Games  https://signatureeditiongames.com/

Special Reserve Games  https://specialreservegames.com/

Super Rare Games https://superraregames.com/

Warned Collecter https://www.warned-collectors.com/

Vblank  https://www.vblank.com/

Also Red Art Games, IAm8bit, Fangamer, and Play Asia

I finally Defeated the infamous boss of this game that everyone is talking about in Sekiro.

Guardian Ape

...And I can see why. His first form just seems super impossible to beat.  But his second form might feel even worse,  as it breaks your heart to find out that there is in fact a second form and it looks even  more difficult. Had to look up a video just to see how someone might beat it. I had the same strategy it’s just he was a little more aggressive about it.  So I took it as a little bit of a tip. I did find a strategy that he didn’t use in the video, that salvaged my run on that boss. That strategy was basically attacking the boss right before he lets out his AOE attack. Which staggers him for a brief moment. If I didn’t figure that out I probably wouldn’t have beat him this morning.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I got my 3DS in the mail last weekend, and I've been playing it ever since (mainly Pokemon Crystal). I forgot how much of a grind it is the level your Pokemon up, jesus christ. But it's still as addicting as it was when I was a kid playing this on the Gameboy Color. Also popped in Super Mario Land 3D and Smash Bros... I like the latter way, way more. Never been that into Mario games anyway, but it's fun for like an hour or so and then I have to put it down or switch to something else. Super Smash Bros is fun (and I've found my characters in Little Mac and Captain Falcon), but FUCK THOSE GIANT FLOATING HANDS.

So far I've bought Ocarina Of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Monster Hunter Generations and Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. I'm waiting on them to be delivered, probably won't be until the weekend though. I'm excited to get into Ocarina Of Time, since I've never played a Zelda game in my life, and STEAM looks really fun.

I'm a little pissed though, because the eBay auction for my 3DS listed it as the *New* 3DS XL, and it's just a regular 3DS XL. Which is fine, I'm still going to get a ton of use out of it... but I mainly bought this to play Earthbound (and other SNES games), and now I can't even do that. That's the perils of buying stuff of eBay, I guess. I'll probably upgrade to the new one towards the end of the year or something. 

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Also popped in Super Mario Land 3D and Smash Bros... I like the latter way, way more. Never been that into Mario games anyway, but it's fun for like an hour or so and then I have to put it down or switch to something else.

i find that Mario games  (specifically newer ones) are best played one world at a time. enough to enjoy it, but not so much that it becomes boring. beat one world, save, start playing again next week.