DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

On 3/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, JLSigman said:

Oooof. I played Dante's half of that game when I owned it for PS2 and never went back. If I ever get a collection version, I would be hard pressed to not just ignore it.

I beat both Lucia and Dante discs and you literally can do orb farming on 1 mission for Dante's upgrades. The game is bad but it explains what happens in the rest of the series.

For Honor is pissing me off. There's this female Ninja character who's weapon is a couple of those Mr Pogo mini scythes. Has a distance attack where she throws it at you, it magically attaches to your armour and drags you towards her, dropping your block along the way. But here's the thing. This character between bodyweight and armour & weapon weight can't be much over 170 lbs. I'm playing as a tall, thickset Knight with a shield and a Morningstar who's total combined weight has to be well over 300 lbs. If this Ninja did somehow manage to throw the axe and have it hook on (which realistically, it should miss or bounce off 95% of the time) then yanked the chain, no way should I go flying towards her. Not with me having twice as much mass.

I mean, obviously if the game was in any way realistic, the Knights would win every time. Samurai weapons were very effective against against Japanese civilians and imaginary ninjas, but try and use one against someone in full European harness and you'll do zero damage while blunting the blade AT BEST. Most likely, the Katana snaps like a twig. Whilst Western weapons would go through Samurai armour like it was made of leather and wood. Because it was made of leathe.r and wood. And Vikings are centuries less advanced than Knights, so forget about them standing a chance either.

I'm also playing God of War 3. See how ages ago I complained about GoW1's platforming sections ruining the game? At one point in GoW3, you have to play Guitar Hero using your controller. And unlike normal Guitar Hero, you have to get 100% or you can't progress further. One missed or mistimed button, start again. Crazy, man. But one thing I do like, GoW1 was about killing Ares, and at the end you... 

Spoiler

Kill Ares. GoW2 was about killing Zeus, and at the end Athena sacrifices herself to save Zeus, and then it ends on a cliffhanger of Kratos going back in time to save the Titans and lead them in an assault on Olympus. But in GoW3, Kratos kills a lot of Gods. I'm less than halfway in, but I've already killed Poseiden, Hades, Hermes, Helios and Hercules...

...and shagged Aphrodite.

So I get pretty bad skin problems from time to time and have to get put on Prednisone to get rid of it.  The psychological effects are pretty heavy on me.  Like I'd be a really horrible professional wrestler because I roid rage like a motherfucker, especially the first couple days of the taper.  I think in one 30 minute drive I might have said I want to kill at least four different drivers to myself, for example.  I live in LA traffic but that usually gives you 1-2 of those moments per drive, tops.

So I picked up Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.  I have a hard time sleeping and it might entertain me while I endure this waking death.  This might be a really really bad idea.  When you actually do kill someone it's cool as fuck.  It is a hard game and I might get really frustrated and break something.  I'm not a giant manbaby that breaks shit like that, I swear.  It's the preds.  

Edited by Tromatagon

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

I think in one 30 minute drive I might have said I want to kill at least four different drivers to myself, for example.

So, protip: never move to D.C.  Wishing death on 4 Beltway drivers in 30 minutes, without drugs, is a fantastic commute.

Dipped back into Sekiro...

I don’t think I’m supposed to play the area that takes place in the “past” all the way through. I think I’m supposed to play it periodically. Because the boss you fight here is almost impossible to fight in one area of this level. I think I need another ability to take down the guards, because otherwise I have to fight him, and his 7 or so cronies. I did find a 2nd one armed Ninja(who looks exactly the same as the one that had a name in the area that takes place in the present, and he’s not a mini-boss) before finding the big boss in the burning castle. This adds to my current favorite thing about this game, which is the “So I got to the part where I found [insert boss]” “Wait I didn’t see that. Where was he” “Oh he’s over in this area”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I live twelve minutes away from work. As in, it takes me 12 minutes to walk there. Then I work standing up and walking around for eight or nine hours, walk home and work out.

They really should patch in something for the kanji icons that appear for certain enemy attacks in the international release of Sekiro. Either make them color coded, or change it too animal icons. Or they could add subtitles to them like they do for the kanji when the burn, and poison effect happens. Otherwise it’s a pain in the ass to remember which red kanji is which during split decision situations. Though I wonder if I can remove them without removing the other useful hud elements.  It’s probably easier to remember the trust, dodge, and jump attacks when they happen. Might check that out when I get home from work.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Fucking Sekiro... Amazin’ game, but fuck you!

So after I got home from work, I went back, and completed the Ashina Estate area that takes place in the past. Turns out it was really a tutorial of sorts, but it’s placed in such a way during the main game that it felt like I shouldn’t bother with it yet. But regardless I completed it. The hyped up Lady Butterfly boss fight was pretty tough, but once you figure out her slow, and easy to read patterns it’ll take you roughly 30-40 seconds to beat her two stages on a successful attempt. Her 2nd state is nothing once you realize you can wait till she absorbs her minions(which she does pretty quickly), and turns them into projectiles. Those projectiles can be super easy to dodge. The first one is her shooting them down at you. Those you can run to right or left till they are gone. The rest you can dodge while she is attacking you with her strikes. Otherwise it’s the same exact fight as the first stage(maybe with an extra attack animation). 

Honestly she doesn’t compare to the 2nd spear mini-boss you encounter in the “Present” setting. That dude was extremely frustrating. Like a lot of these bosses I’ve encountered, you can probably beat him in roughly 30 seconds if you figure it out. But good lord his patterns were a pain to memorize, and it took me 2 hours to get it down. Also I was on a staircase which made it visually worse. He also has a backhand swipe that looks like a wind up for a  forehand swipe that isn’t easy to read.

Main lesson I’ve learned about this game so far. Be aggressive with your defense. Get super close, and pepper him with a strike to egg him into attacking you. That egging him on will push him into attacking you, that in turn will give you the opportunity to parry his attacks. But be very patient. Some reviewers have said you can’t do a Dark Souls, and hit them, then step back to recover. That’s true, because otherwise his stance meter will go back up, which then will lengthen the fight. But you still have to show a form of patience like you do in the Souls games. Just in a different way.

“Best offense, is a great defense”

[/spoilers]

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Twitch viewers:

Check yourselves, and enable 2 step verification.  I got hacked and my prime sub got spent on someone.  They didn't manage to get my paying sub because I don't keep a CC on file, but I changed up my password.  Only saw it because my email popped up a log in from Equador (I have login notification turned on).  

Yeah I think it was a simul-launch with the new league a couple weeks ago, or very close to it. I am actually curious if anyone has played both the PC and console versions if they can explain how in the blue fuck you even play that game with a controller. A keyboard setup feels so fundamental to how that game works.

• Like 1

From screenshots it looks like abilities are mapped to the face buttons and the flasks to the d-pad, which is probably as good a solution as any.  I liked playing Diablo 3 with a controller more than I did on PC so I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.

I suppose I should give it a try on the XBone at some point.  I figure slotting flasks on the bumpers might help with actually using the right ones at the right time, since I suck at that.

Inventory management seems like it'd be an enormous PITA.

Otherwise, I just can envision myself pressing Y and then thinking, "WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU JUMP, YOU DUMB PIXELLATED ASSHOLE!" at my character.

(Who am I fooling, I won't think it; I'll shout it loud enough to spook my cats.)