DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

So I'm thinking of playing Ninja Gaiden II.  Been meaning to get to it for a lonnggggg time.

So... Ninja Gaiden II (X360) or Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)?

I'm more of an Xbox fan.  Sigma 2 has new bosses, playable characters, and level design, but removed a few bosses, plus blood and gore.  I don't even care that much about blood/purple mist and severed limbs lying around, but it seems kinda silly to neuter the game considering how over-the-top violent the franchise is.

Reviews are about the same.  Anyone want to sell me on Sigma 2?

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

So I'm thinking of playing Ninja Gaiden II.  Been meaning to get to it for a lonnggggg time.

I'm more of an Xbox fan.  Sigma 2 has new bosses, playable characters, and level design, but removed a few bosses, plus blood and gore.  I don't even care that much about blood/purple mist and severed limbs lying around, but it seems kinda silly to neuter the game considering how over-the-top violent the franchise is.

The biggest factor you should consider,

Which of your controllers is more durable?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

The Platinum for Sigma 2 is the sign of a true God if obtained. If...you care about that.

I would play it on Xbox 360 since that's the truer version.

Picked up a Playstation Classic since they've now dropped to 39.99 and felt I could justify paying that for Final Fantasy 7, Tekken 3, and Twisted Metal. The GUI is ugly as all hell.

Is that in Vegas?

The one in Vegas is the Pinball Hall of Fame.  This one is in Banning.

Unfortunately, they are only open to the public 4 weekends out of the year, but those weekends are glorious.  

Had an amazing time but by far the best part of it was Billy Mitchell showing up unexpectedly, buying his own ticket to get into the event and entering the Kong tournament, coming in 3rd place and then spending the last 10 hours of the day sitting at the same machine failing to beat his 3rd place score and throwing a complete temper tantrum every time he couldn't.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I feel like we will still make fun of Billy Mitchell long after he's gone. Like in 2172 there will be some streamer that gets busted cheating breaking a world record at Awesome Holodeck Games Done Quick, he'll go on a massive Spacebook meltdown, and people will say "That guy pulled a Billy Mitchell".

• Haha 3

did Nier: Automata not get a physical release on the Xbox One? eBay is flooded with PS4 copies (and Amazon) but absolutely nothing for the Xbox One - which is weird, since it appears that the Microsoft and GameStop websites are selling them (but I could be wrong).

On 3/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, SirFozzie said:

So, who here is playing The Division 2.

(and if the answer is nobody, does that make my purchase of it a case of division by zero?)

I'll probably get it soon on PS4, but I'm not sure if you're on that. I just know that tomorrow, Sekiro is mine.

I'm trying to Platinum Devil May Cry 2 on PS3 and....WHY???

Edited by Andrew POE!

13 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I'm trying to Platinum Devil May Cry 2 on PS3 and....WHY???

Oooof. I played Dante's half of that game when I owned it for PS2 and never went back. If I ever get a collection version, I would be hard pressed to not just ignore it.

7 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

a friend got me sekiro

i played an hour and a half of sekiro tonight

it good i like

It looks fucking amazing from what I've seen of it. It seems like the combat system is quite different from other From Software games, just watching it there's some thing going on where you can break a guy's balance and just one-shot them that I don't totally understand how it works. But it makes fights feel very impactful, it's cool.

The soundtrack seems incredible.

I assume they're an alarm system of some kind? I've been unwilling to touch them.

Now that I've had a night to sleep on it, here's the difference between Sekiro and Souls games: with the Souls games, you have a lot of bullshit you can use to get the advantage. Your roll has invincibility frames. You can get loot. You can grind experience or money, because they're both the same stat. You have magic. You have a lot of healing options. You can upgrade your loot. You have loot. You can call in other players to help. Other players can leave hints as to what might be happening around the corner.

In Sekiro, you have you, your sword, and your understanding of the combat system, and That's Fucking it. You have to do everything completely honestly. Your side step is for moves you don't know the parry pattern of yet. You only have the one sword, because the point is not doing damage: it's knocking them off balance and landing killing blows. There's nothing in Sekiro but yourself. It is maybe the steepest ask I've ever seen in a From Software game, and I am fascinated by it.

I've never beaten a Souls game. I feel compelled to beat this.

I am gonna need a PC upgrade to even play it, but I'm terrified because my entire thing is "beating Dark Souls games through the guile of figuring out how to manipulate all the shit Sekiro just took away". Actually be good at combat, I haven't got the hands for that. It's gonna destroy me.

I wish it had a demo, because I don't want to watch more of a Twitch stream on it so I don't get spoiled, but I don't want to drop $60 to get stopped dead because I can't get through the combat (like I did with AC: Odyssey)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I wish it had a demo, because I don't want to watch more of a Twitch stream on it so I don't get spoiled, but I don't want to drop $60 to get stopped dead because I can't get through the combat (like I did with AC: Odyssey)

This might be just what you need.

17 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

I assume they're an alarm system of some kind? I've been unwilling to touch them.

Now that I've had a night to sleep on it, here's the difference between Sekiro and Souls games: with the Souls games, you have a lot of bullshit you can use to get the advantage. Your roll has invincibility frames. You can get loot. You can grind experience or money, because they're both the same stat. You have magic. You have a lot of healing options. You can upgrade your loot. You have loot. You can call in other players to help. Other players can leave hints as to what might be happening around the corner.

In Sekiro, you have you, your sword, and your understanding of the combat system, and That's Fucking it. You have to do everything completely honestly. Your side step is for moves you don't know the parry pattern of yet. You only have the one sword, because the point is not doing damage: it's knocking them off balance and landing killing blows. There's nothing in Sekiro but yourself. It is maybe the steepest ask I've ever seen in a From Software game, and I am fascinated by it.

I've never beaten a Souls game. I feel compelled to beat this.

Yeah Sekiro is the shit. The games levels are a lot deeper than some of the first previews lead me to believe.

Question...

Very early in the game you can aquire an item that allows you to go to a different area set in the past. So do I see this area through to the end or should I go through the other path the game has me on? I’ve already beaten the spear dude, and found an alternate way into the burning castle that had a dead end with two normal bald spear dudes, but I’ve also beaten the horseback dude in the other path that has lead me to a fucking bull with fire horns that has me banging my head on my bed post. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 3/21/2019 at 12:02 AM, Casey said:

did Nier: Automata not get a physical release on the Xbox One? eBay is flooded with PS4 copies (and Amazon) but absolutely nothing for the Xbox One - which is weird, since it appears that the Microsoft and GameStop websites are selling them (but I could be wrong).

Xbox edition is a digital exclusive.  No physical/retail edition yet.

Edited by Doc Townsend

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah Sekiro is the shit. The games levels are a lot deeper than some of the first previews lead me to believe.

Question...

Reveal hidden contents

Very early in the game you can aquire an item that allows you to go to a different area set in the past. So do I see this area through to the end or should I go through the other path the game has me on? I’ve already beaten the spear dude, and found an alternate way into the burning castle that had a dead end with two normal bald spear dudes, but I’ve also beaten the horseback dude in the other path that has lead me to a fucking bull with fire horns that has me banging my head on my bed post. 

You're farther in than me. However,

If you look at the rest points, it shows memories and prayer beads as upgrade items. Since that seperate area is a flashback, I suspect once you complete that scenario you'll get a memory and can use it to upgrade your attack power. So that might be your incentive for getting that done. Only conjecture, though.

1 hour ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

You're farther in than me. However,

Hide contents

If you look at the rest points, it shows memories and prayer beads as upgrade items. Since that seperate area is a flashback, I suspect once you complete that scenario you'll get a memory and can use it to upgrade your attack power. So that might be your incentive for getting that done. Only conjecture, though.

Hmmmmmm... Might finish it now. Even heard a podcast that called it a “side-mission”.

Also...

Beat that fucking bull, and then went down the path after that. Then the game gave me paths that diverged again in threes(it looks like). Picked one that had a one-armed shinobi boss(real bitch of a challenge). Love that listening into convos basically is a set-up for the boss fights. The one that set-up the shinobi made me think he was talking about my character.

Game is simply incredible. Can’t wait for my New Game+ run.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs