DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

21 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

The reliance on memorization is a bit of a problem with the education system. I don't have a degree in my field, but I'm typically the fastest in my office to research an answer to a problem we're facing. The ability to find the information is so much more important, and I wish that was stressed more.

I think we rely on memorization in places that make no sense (history) and de-emphasize it in places that do (basic arithmetic).  But we definitely don't teach people to think in a general sense.  Hence why we have so many people who can't spot misleading/fake news stories and so on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

The reliance on memorization is a bit of a problem with the education system. I don't have a degree in my field, but I'm typically the fastest in my office to research an answer to a problem we're facing. The ability to find the information is so much more important, and I wish that was stressed more.

Factual knowledge/memorising of facts and the repetition of accessing those bits of information allows things to move from working memory to long term memory. This allows your finite working memory to have more capacity to do the harder stuff such as problem solve etc.

I'm not saying it is perfect, but memorisation in itself isn't a bad thing per se.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Kinda rude of him to memorize your homework. :)

Back on topic, I don't know why but I've decided I want to beat Contra without dying again. I used to be able to do it as a kid but a couple of decades have slowed my reaction time.

Just had one of those “you just spent 30 minutes beating this Stormbird you had no business fighting only to be immediately killed by a rock or some shit before I could save” moments in Horizon Zero Dawn

The universe is conspiring against me

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just had one of those “you just spent 30 minutes beating this Stormbird you had no business fighting only to be immediately killed by a rock or some shit before I could save” moments in Horizon Zero Dawn

The universe is conspiring against me

If video games have taught me anything it's that the pain is what lets us know we are alive.

I'm slowly making my way through KotOR still because of work hours, but also because I just enjoy being in that game world, but I took a second to pop in X-Men Legends and it has satisfied my craving for an ARPG loot-fest that isn't set in a traditional Western fantasy setting and has me about ready to buy MUA 3 on Switch in a few months (though I didn't like MUA nearly as much as the XML games, and I haven't played it in so long that I can't remember why or what might have changed about the series in the transition). 

Anyway, XML is just so much fun to jump into, loot the shit out of enemies with simple combos, do the fun RPG character configuration stuff, and use the new powers that I unlock to loot some more a bit before jumping back out. I really would love an X-Men Legends remaster/collection on Switch specifically; it would be a great pick-up/put-down game (though they'd need to stop limiting save points and save game spaces in XML, which is kind of a bummer). 

was finally able to beat Smash Bros. Ultimate this weekend. the story mode took me just shy of 31 hours. i've easily put that same amount into other areas of the game. collected over 1000 spirits and beat classic mode with about half the characters. looking forward to the DLC announcements. 

so i own 7 games for the Switch and have now beaten 5 of them. next stop, Sonic Mania!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

Anyway, XML is just so much fun to jump into, loot the shit out of enemies with simple combos, do the fun RPG character configuration stuff, and use the new powers that I unlock to loot some more a bit before jumping back out. I really would love an X-Men Legends remaster/collection on Switch specifically; it would be a great pick-up/put-down game (though they'd need to stop limiting save points and save game spaces in XML, which is kind of a bummer). 

It's weird; that's one of the aspects I enjoyed about it, too, since you knew they were infrequent and it meant grinding your way through certain stuff.

Also funny you mention MUA, since I felt like the first MUA (never played the second) felt an awful lot like the first XML - I think that was namely the power functions, given you had much bigger gulps of points/damage that came along with each level-up or unlock (instead of the tiny, grindy stuff in XML2).  MUA also had my favorite solo training missions (Cap, but Daredevil especially).  Was MUA2 really that bad?

Then again, given how completely unbalanced XML1 was - Cyke + Storm for the leadership bonus, then Jean/Iceman plus Wolvie made all the other characters obsolete by Act 2 - it's not like there was much to grind.  But I suppose that's better than "broken/too easy due to glitches" in XML2.

Edited by Contentious C

Seeing Nintendo characters on the Xbox dashboard is incredibly surreal.  But I'm on board with whatever partnership they have.  I've heard people want Master Chief in Smash and if that's the case then holy shit that will be huge.

I'm finding a recurring pattern in my march through the JRPG backlog. I'll start a game, trudge through all this exposition, resent it, and then go back to the last game I abandoned in the same manner (which I will then appreciate).

Persona 4 Golden finally has its hooks in. I started it in November but didn't get past the absolute slog of the game's first 4 or 5 hours. So I beat some other games, started Baten Kaitos on Gamecube and realized I'd rather be playing a different JRPG. Now I'm caught up in P4G and completely understand why people call it one of the best JRPGs ever. The sheer amount of quality-of-life mechanics is crazy to me - The full chart of Persona that I can potentially fuse at a given time, pressing Square to jump to different parts of the map, non-random card shuffles at the end of fights, and my God the PSN functionality where you can see how other people spend their day are unbelievably convenient without cheapening the game at all. People told me to play P3: FES(which I adored) first or I would hate it's clunkiness if I went back and played it. They were right, I'm spoiled now. 

P4G does feel a little too easy relative to P3: FES, though. Scaling Tartarus was a tense sort of thing that I'd make sure to do late at night (and not entirely sober). The dungeons in P4G are much more forgiving AND since the characters don't get tired anymore it's best to do a shit-ton of dungeon crawling all at once and then spend the rest of the month fishing/eating beef bowls/attempting to bang your classmates. It creates some pacing problems, but it's the most efficient use of your time. To be fair my last experience with P3:FES was the straight-up dungeon crawl of it's post-game content which was not easy - I liked that stuff, though. My next SMT game will probably be one of the harder, grindier ones.

Apparently there was a WCW game that was never released back in the NES days. I guess the UWC name comes from the Universal Wrestling Corporation subsidiary that Turner Broadcasting formed after buying Jim Crockett Promotions? The game looks fairly awful so I can only assume that's why it wasn't released.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/03/an-unreleased-nes-game-from-1989-featuring-wcw-wre.html

Universal Wrestling Corporation was the name of the inc that once held the transferred JCP assets and then it became the renamed World Championship Wrestling, Inc then back to Universal Wrestling Corporation again. Listed as a subsidiary of Time Warner until 2017, where's it's now defunct and merged into Turner Broadcasting System.

Vince opened up a new WCW inc to transfer the assets to it when he bought out most of them.

I never actually played the NES WCW game that did come out. It didn't seem to get a particularly wide release in these parts at least.

I've been playing Final Fantasy 9 when I'm not playing Magic Arena or Apex Legends (god, what is time?) and it completely rules so far.

• Like 1

Tried For Honor's tutorial, to see what it's like. Whoever designed the control system thinks I have two thumbs on my right hand. This game is totally sinistrist*. Feels clunky. You know how NFL players are really good at Madden, and Premier League players are really good at FIFA? Being IRL good at Swordfighting doesn't make you good at For Honor.

* Prejudice against left handed people. This world was made for the naturally orthodox.

Def Jam: Fight For New York is a) one of the greatest video games ever made and b) what would happen in the alternate timeline where WWF Backlash came out for N64, but everyone on the AKI development team was doing hard drugs while making it. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

So I don't expect too many to dig into this, but I wanted to share one of my favorite games of the last couple of years, Secret Little Haven. It's a desktop/AOL IM simulator set in 1999 (yes, you read that right) where you play as a teenager coming to grips with potentially being transgender. It's really more like a visual novel, but you can tinker with various stuff on your character's computer.

This feels like a huge slice of what my life was like in 1999 (which is roughly when I discovered what being transgender actually was). I don't see often representation of people like me in media, so throughout my first playthrough I had to pause a few points because I kept crying about finally being able to truly relate to a character. (The ending is also very emotional, IMO.)

It's on Steam for five bucks, so if you don't mind doing a bit of a thought exercise about the trans experience circa-1999, give it a shot. It can be finished in about three hours.