DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So my solution of what to play next out of my backlog was to go out and buy Horizon Zero Dawn

Not a bad choice.  But it runs like a Bethesda game without the bugs, where you'll start doing side quests and forget the main one.  Eventually I'm going to circle back and finish it.

Horizon: Zero Dawn's strength is that it's a Far Cry game except the icons on the map are pretty much all fun activities.

It does have an engaging main narrative, too, and the combat options are fairly plentiful and quite fun. You can actually stalk and trap a robot animal and it feels excellent. 

You have chosen wisely. 

• Like 1

So my honest, slightly expanded thoughts after a couple days of Anthem stream watching.

- It's absolutely gorgeous, and the world is actually pretty cool sci-fi/"Lost World" feel

- There are brief moments where you are like "damn this is really good" but they are too few and far between

- Too many repeating bosses. Some of those bosses are quite cool, but how many times?

- The UI is bad

- A lot of the missions are way too repetitive. There are too many collect stuff missions

- Even on maxed out gaming rigs with insane specs there are 45 second loading times, it's gonna suck for normal people

- It's a "shoot stuff" game where, watching it, guns feel totally unimportant. It's all about charging up and using your skills. Weird.

- This game is not finished, and it shows. There are clearly missing dialogue sections that were cut, bad cutscene QA, no audio in places, etc.

- Related to the above the story feels quite disjointed at points. What is there is the weakest Bioware story

- The back half of the game is VERY buggy. Not, like Pathfinder Kingmaker buggy where it doesn't work at launch. But the next worse thing.

- The last main mission cannot be set to private and it is possible for level 1 characters to pop up in your party. This is busted as fuck.

- The lack of any music or ambient noise in town is absolutely fucking weird and jarring

- I'm not going to spoil the ending but... it's incredibly anticlimactic. Like "Shadow of War ended on a quicktime event" anticlimactic

There are things about the game where you see flashes, hints of what might have been. But this game is not good, and I'm sad about that. There's also incredibly little interest in it on streams, relative to what you would have expected a couple years ago. The well was poisoned before it even launched, but the actual product has done nothing to change people's minds. Lots of people watched the first few hours and said "nah I am good".

You could sign up for Origin's premier service, play the game for $15, then unsubscribe and it's probably fine?

It feels like a giant project that absolutely people poured in what they had to give. But they needed more time, and there wasn't any more. It's gross, but it is what it is now. I'm from Edmonton so Bioware is my hometown team, and I really hope the promises of more Dragon Age and Mass Effect are true. I know some people that work there through social media and mutual interests away from their work. This studio doesn't deserve to be remembered like this.

• Sad 1

Tetris 99 looks so fun. I’m just imagining that game being dominated by retirees who have been playing Tetris for years on their shitty flip phones and old school Game Boys (those fuckers make Timex watches look frail). Twitch streamers getting merked online by usernames like “GrandmaOf6” and “Eileen1957” is going to provide enough salt to put the Dead Sea out of business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally taking a break from RDR2 and popped in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I rarely play with a headset but it's highly recommended for this game, so I tried it and was freaked the hell out by the game's depiction of uncontrollable voices. It's an intense experience, and the atmosphere and imagery so far is gorgeous but I gotta say that the combat seems pretty secondary. Still, looking forward to getting through the story - just not something I could casually play at any given time. 

I'm quite enjoying Agents of Mayhem, but only because I paid £3.99 for it. If it had been £39.99 I'd think it was a total rip off. It's very generous with what it calls a hit, never mind a headshot. Lots of Specials and Supers that you can customise but don't seem that different.

Okay yeah - I am already in love with this game

I still haven't completed the first main quest and have already done like 5 side quests.

Plus it has crafting and a dialogue wheel

Swoon...

• Like 3

The best part about hunting is when you deploy traps and then lure your robotic prey right into the traps that you set and it all works perfectly, just as you envisioned during the planning and deployment process.

There is one fight in this game that is a side-quest that I think is one of the most satisfying combat experiences that I've ever had specifically because I had to do a bunch of planning to make sure that I might survive, and then it worked out just right. It's the feeling that other people say they get when they have to plan out an encounter in Monster Hunter. 

• Like 1

I also am trying to remember the last time I fell in love with a main character this quick

Possibly FemShep but even there, I was biased because I had already done multiple playthroughs so any Shepard I was gonna instantly bond with

• Like 1

After some suggestions I got Dragon Quest XI and I love the heck out of this game. The game is as old-school as it gets. I have seen people calling it a SNES game for PS4. I would not go that far, more like a PSX game for PS4 (with PS3+ level graphics). From a gameplay point-of-view they streamlined a lot of mechanics that often lead to frustrations: you can within a second (plus a loading screen) revisit (almost) any place you have visited in the past, all party members get EXP,  independent if they are in the active party and there (almost) no random encounters (except when travelling on sea).

I am 80 hours or so in the game and am considering if I should go for the platinum. There seems to be only one trophy, that seems to be time consuming to get, the rest is quite fair.

Aloy is wonderful but I will say most of the other characters aren't even a quarter as interesting.

I never used traps much besides against Sawtooths, but abused the FUCK out of the ropecaster. Shit, I gotta get back to that game... 

Had a good run with Tetris 99, with a few consecutive Top 10 finishes. Even came in 2nd once., even though it is midnight and Japan is awake.
I watched a tiny bit of video from the world's top Tetris player and it allowed me to hit like, two whole T-Spins. I also decided to remember that the hold button was a thing. And I read some Tetris 99 FAQs, so I got to pretend like I knew how to strategize. KO's early is maybe good? Attackers late, maybe? I have no clue.

I think a real good strategy that I personally like to use is Make The Blocks Go Away and I'd recommend it for anybody else.

Listen. I know that this is effectively double posting. But after Tetris 99 Win #3 I have something to say.

Tetris 99 is probably the best video game I'm ever going to play in my whole life. I will be stunned and elated if I am ever proven wrong. I am in considerable bliss just having it.

Like, think about the component parts here. You start with Tetris, which was already the baseline answer of the objective greatest game of all time. Then, you have Arika's Tetris, the finest playing of all the Tetris games. Then, on top of that, you have competitive tetris, the natural extension of the ideological purity of Tetris. Now you add in the biggest advancement in the global spread multiplayer as a dominant form, the internet. On top of that, you add in the perfect idea of the Battle Royale, of letting roughly 100 people into the same environment, to feel yourself tested against the world and not just a small sample size. AND THEN ON TOP OF THAT, make it trivially easy to play. It takes two button presses to go from the Switch UI to the Video Game.

1. You load the game in the UI. The title screen is the loading screen. It disperses by itself. You are immediately on the main menu.
  2. You press the button marked Tetris 99. You're in matchmaking, moments away from the single greatest video game ever made.

The only way you could improve on it is if you moved the rematch button to another button, and let me tape that button the fuck down. That is all I can possibly conceive of as a way to make the game better. That is the only reason I cannot say it is perfect. It is otherwise the greatest video game I will ever see, and I am straight up and down blessed to have been alive at the same time.

Tetris is having a heck of a revival right now between Tetris 99 and Tetris Effect. 

When it comes to puzzle games, I'm a Picross man myself, but I appreciate the universal greatness that is Tetris in general. I've only played T99 twice and finished 22nd and 54th, and I probably won't play it again, but this is a game that I am just happy to know exists. 

On another note, I had a hankering for KotOR, so I dug out my OG Xbox and plugged it in. First of all, it's still my favorite console ever, and second of all, the music playlists that I burned onto it and the game files that are available basically chronicle my college years. I've run into at least fifteen songs that i forgot existed before I ran into them on any one of my umpteen playlists that I burned onto the thing.

Just putting in WWE RAW 2 and looking at all the CAWs that me and my various friends made to play four-player season mode (a mode that really should be brought back) reminds me of how juvenile and stupid I was back then.

Well, how much more juvenile and stupid. 

Also, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X is still maybe the greatest platformer of all time? It's top five, at least. 

And also also, KotOR = still great. 

• Like 1

The KoToR games have held up for sure. Shit, it's actually better to play 2 now than when it was new because you can just install that community patch thing on Steam that radically improves the experience, including a whole cut content sequence with the HK factory.

The first game is pretty close to a flawless, big silly Star Wars adventure. Revan, HK-47, and Jolee Bindo are probably 3 of my 5 favourite Star Wars characters. HK-47 might actually be the best sidekick of all-time.

• Like 2

Playing through KotOR (and then the sequel) is already getting me excited for The Outer Worlds. Thirty hour WRPGs with good branching dialogue are right up my alley. I enjoy a 100+ hour big-budget Fallout every few years, but the 30-40 hour mark is perfect for me at this point in my life when it comes to RPGs.

Also, the gaming world is a sadder place for Top Spin Tennis being a dead IP. I dipped into the first one again tonight, and it feels fantastic. It's still the best sim tennis experience around. Tennis World Tour doesn't seem great, but maybe at sub-ten bucks, I'll give it another shot. 

Been playing the new Far Cry off and on while trying to get over the flu.  Combat is still fun.  Mission design leaves everything to be desired.  One mission made me think that it was written by somebody that absolutely loved the Citadel corridor scene at the very end of Mass Effect 3, only they wished it was 10 times longer, had bad purple lighting, and had your character spend the whole time coughing.  It was also broken, meaning I had to do half of it twice.

...so I want to get a headset to funnel all of my audio into when I game especially when my wife is home; however, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg, and I want one that I can use on either a PS4 or XBox controller. I was curious what people recommended here.