DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

T really wanted to do Dave and Buster's for a date night. It was a fun place to kill an hour and a half but the modern state of arcade games depresses me.

--The Rampage ticket game that was made to go with the movie has all of the mechanics of the prior games in the series, but none of the personality.

--There are SO MANY Operation Wolf-style reticle gun games, even stuff like Space Invaders got roped into that category. (Though I did think the visuals of that and the Pac-Man/Galaga game, with a screen full of tiny but visible bulbs, was striking as fuck)

--I can't even describe the crest and trough of feelings I had when I saw Injustice from across the room, said "I HAVE TO PLAY THIS" because I wanted to show off a game I'm actually GOOD at for my GF after forty minutes of failing at plastic rifle games, then getting over there and seeing that it's the fucking phone game blown up to arcade size and not the PS3/4 one.

I'm watching a (with Square's permission, no piratey/weird region shit) early 2 hour stream of Kingdom Hearts 3 and it looks and sounds insanely pretty. This game is going to sell a shit ton on nostalgia but is the game is even halfway good it's going to be a complete monster.

• Like 2

Got my 134th Platinum trophy with Wolfenstein (2009). The game is hot garbage and half of the trophies were grindy bs multiplayer trophies including 2 where you get them quickly from the leaderboards. Trying to Platinum more games that I did multiplayer trophies already, so lots of first person/third person shooters in my future.

Because everything was down for patching/maintenance Tuesday morning, I fired up Skyrim.

I had forgotten I could run the upgraded version on Ultra graphics on this newer computer. Good lord it's so pretty...

(and there goes 100+ hours of my life)

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

T really wanted to do Dave and Buster's for a date night. It was a fun place to kill an hour and a half but the modern state of arcade games depresses me.

--The Rampage ticket game that was made to go with the movie has all of the mechanics of the prior games in the series, but none of the personality.

--There are SO MANY Operation Wolf-style reticle gun games, even stuff like Space Invaders got roped into that category. (Though I did think the visuals of that and the Pac-Man/Galaga game, with a screen full of tiny but visible bulbs, was striking as fuck)

--I can't even describe the crest and trough of feelings I had when I saw Injustice from across the room, said "I HAVE TO PLAY THIS" because I wanted to show off a game I'm actually GOOD at for my GF after forty minutes of failing at plastic rifle games, then getting over there and seeing that it's the fucking phone game blown up to arcade size and not the PS3/4 one.

The only thing I will play at my local D&B is the Pac-Man's Arcade Party, mostly Rolling Thunder.

Gameworks is better IMO, at least they have a decent selection of pinball (been playing a lot of the Iron Maiden table there lately) and their drink/food prices are pretty decent, especially during happy hour.

While I would be cool with giving KH3 a go it's very much my wife's game as she played KH1 and KH2.  And to say she's completely ecstatic playing KH3 would be a huge understatement.  From what I've seen it looks really great and the Disney charm really shows.  First level is Hercules and while I was planning on playing Switch during the game the cutscenes for this felt almost like a full-on Hercules sequel/minishow.  With this and gameplay looking good it looks like it's gonna be a fun time.

As for the convoluted KH story we have a general understanding due to a 30 minute recap and there are 5 3-minute videos in the game that explain things in 1 and 2.  So we're as caught up as we're gonna be considering we didn't play much else aside from 1 and 2.  Hoping to have a go on my file soon but may just watch her play it since it's apparently a pretty long game.

• Like 2

I don't find KH any more convoluted than any of the modern Final Fantasy plots, it's more that it is simply longer because there's like 8 games of it or whatever, which leads to more secondary characters. That secondary character buildup is what really loses people even though it all cycles back to the same stuff. Most of it cycles back around to the same two or three main plot points. It's like the Dr. Who of video game nonsense. The recap videos in 3 did a pretty good job. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Based on my current experiences with the Tyrant constantly pursuing me in RE2 (the game put me out of my misery and changed the setting to easy) if they decide to remake Nemesis I might die in real life.

I love the RE2 remake so so much.  I finished both A sides, and am moving on to B sides, but the game gets so much easier in the boss fights when you figure out weak points are a thing.  Rumblings are that the pre-sales were good enough that RE3's already been green lit.  So yeah, this Mr. X engine applied to Nemesis who has ranged attacks, yeah.  No real good memes for Nemesis though.

• Like 1

Not to rain on the parade, but do these latter-day RE games still have the "piss on your leg and tell you it's raining" type of bullshit that 4 had?  I.e., "hit A+X to not die and watch Leon do Olympics-caliber gymnastics" but then 30 minutes later, aiming your weapon turns you into an immobile cigar-store Indian for every hand ax thrown at you?  Because...fuck that bullshit.  I bought that used for GC and played about 2 hours of it before taking it right the fuck back to Gamestop.  Never been so happy to fire up Cheat Engine and hate-play a game as I was for the PC version I got with some Humble Bundle or other.  Maybe I should do it again just to finish the dumb achievements.

I've started Yakuza Zero. I love it. I love it with such incredible force. I am no longer interested in games about The End of the World, whether it be Stopping it, Causing It, or Hanging Out After It. Yakuza Zero is a game about crime, naivete, and real estate. It has small stakes. I'm so fucking here for it. Also I'm now adding the Judgment/Judge Eyes thing to the games I want to play this year, which is now officially One Game I Want To Play This Year.

Also Siege and Tekken still. A Tekken Update: I have friends that rage a bunch and make it hard to play stuff with them. Someone in that group suggested that he wanted to start getting together regularly and doing something, and the first thing that lept to mind was Tekken. With great reluctance, I floated the idea and got curious responses. The first night was tonight and everyone fucking loved it. I have missed being able to play Fighting Games with people in person, and even though it's thoroughly clear we're amateurs with gimmicks, it's a fucking blast and I'm just elated.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2019 at 10:21 PM, Eivion said:

I want to actually replay all of the main KH games before playing III despite that being somewhat insane.

I picked up KH1.5 and 2.5 collection to try and do just that. Probably am not going to get even close, but meh.