2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

If you've got a PSN account you can check out your stats for 2018 here

I played 1118 Hours across 64 games

Binding of Isaac - 288 hours
Diablo 3 - 41 hours
Assassin's Creed: Origins - 37 Hours

I really like Binding of Isaac, y'all.

I sort of despise those stats, though only in relation to how much I despise myself. 

I clocked something like 3x that many hours (meaning, your total count for 2018) just playing Marvel Heroes on PC. That was a game that was born and died entirely within the timeframe of my PhD project. So I basically spent 5 months of a <5-year project screwing around on 1 video game. FML.

• Like 1

I have played Slay the Spire more than an average of 1 hour a day since I bought it like 9 or 10 months ago. It's literally the perfect video game for while you are listening to another show or what have you.

I also found time to put over 400 hours into Warframe in 2018. I am done with it now. That's not a knock on the game. I was just done literally all the content that I found worth doing.

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Destiny 2 - 758 hours

WWE 2k18 - 143 hours

Fallout 76 - 109 hours

Have to admit even plying it as often as I have I didn't think FO76 would already be over 100 hrs. I apparently only played 10 games last year. Won 82 trophies (only 3 were gold)

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I sort of despise those stats, though only in relation to how much I despise myself. 

I clocked something like 3x that many hours (meaning, your total count for 2018) just playing Marvel Heroes on PC. That was a game that was born and died entirely within the timeframe of my PhD project. So I basically spent 5 months of a <5-year project screwing around on 1 video game. FML.

I remember a friend asking me how it was back in 2015.  "It's okay." "Steam says you've spend 450 hours on it." "It's the kind of mediocre that makes it really good for something to do with my hands and eyes while I listen to CNN or podcasts and it lets me play as Hank Pym."  "Oh." 

(I think my 2013-2017 total on it was somewhere around 3000 hrs, though that probably includes at least 100 times I left it running until I idled out after an hour.)

I find it hilarious watching people who actually spazz out at most games with a save system who somehow totally understand how the typewriter ribbon system is good because it builds genuine tension that your video-life-progress is under threat.

The remake really does look great, though it's not really my style of game. But it's going to do super-well.

2 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I put 20+ hours into Skyrim only to find out that a mod I installed broke the Greybeards mission so I can't actually finish the story.

The true Bethesda experience.

Axiom Verge should be called "Legally Distinct From Metroid." Still very good.

• Like 1

Finished Yakuza Kiwami's story. The penultimate boss fight is a twat. One boss, plus two guys with guns. So you take the goons out so you can concentrate on the actual boss, but then you don't get to use their weapons once they drop. And then they get up WITH FULL HEALTH BARS, but they have knives now. And the main boss is shooting you and throwing grenades the whole time.

8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The true Bethesda experience.

Axiom Verge should be called "Legally Distinct From Metroid." Still very good.

You just know at some point in the 1990's Nintendo probably tried to copyright "having platforms and a gun". Though you're not wrong. That soundtrack is so 100% Super Metroid.

9 hours ago, Death From Above said:

You just know at some point in the 1990's Nintendo probably tried to copyright "having platforms and a gun". Though you're not wrong. That soundtrack is so 100% Super Metroid.

Kirby the Lawyer was so good at telling judges that Nintendo games weren't like other franchises that the shoe got all other-footed real quick. Looking forward to making billions on my eventual Super Jario Brothers franchise.

Today I put a dent, nay, an outright hole in the side of my JRPG backlog that is slowly killing me and leading me to more drinking that I already do tons of.

Coconut La Croix and tequila. The last boss of Xenosaga II. Maybe some fuckin' Ys II if my body deems me worthy for this kind of punishment. I bought Lufia for SNES and I don't even know why. I bought those blind box Limited Run Vita games and I got friggin Ys Origins - it's great! Promised a friend leaving the state that I'd start Baten Kaitos before she moves out - that's gonna take even more tequila. I really just want to play shumps while kind of sober.

If I live-streamed the gaming I've done over the last year it'd have less to do with whatever the average Gen-Z'er has to say about RDR2 and be a little closer to Kafka's "A Hunger Artist".

On 1/25/2019 at 12:22 PM, Zimbra said:

I played 784 hours across 52 games

Warhawk - 273 hours

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) - 120 hours

Loadout - 109 hours

I seem to like grindy multiplayer games

It says I had 2471 hours of gameplay and I earned 30 Platinums in 2018.

EDIT: I also picked up Resident Evil 2 for PS4 and Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal yesterday.

• Like 1

Finished Claire's A on RE2.  This game is amazing.  They took something that I've run hundreds of times, and remixed it in a way that's original, fun, and managed to work in all the iconic moments and rooms from the OG and have it all make sense.  If I didn't know better, this seems more a labor of love than a cash grab and other devs would do well to see what you can do when you really "upgrade" something rather than slap a texture update on it and brand it a "HD Edition".  Hopefully, the rumors of them already starting on RE3 are true, because I'd love to see what they did with Mr. X applied to Nemesis for a while game.