DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

Honestly, the game now favors people that grind the fuck out of getting their cards maxed out, because the ability bonuses for the card breaks the damn game in favor of the fully upgraded stuff.  Like, it doesn't matter how good I am, because if my lvl 23 ass with green cards runs into a lvl 50 with 3 full purples, I'm gonna die, even if I head shot (unless I'm using a sniper rifle, that's the only close to equalizer).  Playing Galatic Assault is basically "Respawn Screen: The Game" until you're using purple cards.  You're pretty much locked into Strike until you level up, and guess what's not in Strike... heroes.  And even then, the game's balanced so that a fully leveled Assault would smoke an unleveled Hero.

And space combat, while great, is fucking broke on PS4 right now.  Seriously, everyone stopped playing because for whatever reason, it doesn't recognize that a match actually happened, so no one's getting ANYTHING playing space maps.

So yeah, EA sucks 90% of the time.

• Sad 1

Dear Catch-All Thread,

I never thought this could happen to me. A retro games store in Hagerstown, MD was selling two sealed copies of Salt & Sanctuary, and I bought them both. For 30 dollars each.

Seriously, this never happens to me. If Limited Run hadn't done their blind box sale I would have never checked the prices on *every* LR Vita game and would have had no clue.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Raziel said:

Honestly, the game now favors people that grind the fuck out of getting their cards maxed out, because the ability bonuses for the card breaks the damn game in favor of the fully upgraded stuff.  Like, it doesn't matter how good I am, because if my lvl 23 ass with green cards runs into a lvl 50 with 3 full purples, I'm gonna die, even if I head shot (unless I'm using a sniper rifle, that's the only close to equalizer).  Playing Galatic Assault is basically "Respawn Screen: The Game" until you're using purple cards.  You're pretty much locked into Strike until you level up, and guess what's not in Strike... heroes.  And even then, the game's balanced so that a fully leveled Assault would smoke an unleveled Hero.

And space combat, while great, is fucking broke on PS4 right now.  Seriously, everyone stopped playing because for whatever reason, it doesn't recognize that a match actually happened, so no one's getting ANYTHING playing space maps.

So yeah, EA sucks 90% of the time.

Wow. This is mega depressing. After typing all of my diatribe out yesterday I kinda thought about reinstalling it. That is now a hard "nope" after reading what you said. 

57 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I tried to start Final Fantasy VIII, and the tutorials on the Junction system might be the most indecipherable horse shit I've ever seen in a video game.

I... might just eat the loss and jump straight to IX. That's how much fun my first hour was.

Come on, If you give up now you will miss all the fun of spending hours of literally farming magic (which you will never end up using because the game system punished you for doing so), finding out that the worst thing you could do is farm EXP early on (even though it does not matter, as even the supposedly extra-hard bonus boss is relatively easy to beat) and enjoying the complete and utter mess the "story" of this game is (a program doing machine learning on Anime could come up with a better and more coherent story and more interesting and relatable characters).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Come on, If you give up now you will miss all the fun of spending hours of literally farming magic (which you will never end up using because the game system punished you for doing so), finding out that the worst thing you could do is farm EXP early on (even though it does not matter, as even the supposedly extra-hard bonus boss is relatively easy to beat) and enjoying the complete and utter mess the "story" of this game is (a program doing machine learning on Anime could come up with a better and more coherent story and more interesting and relatable characters).

Play Suikoden I and II instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I tried to start Final Fantasy VIII, and the tutorials on the Junction system might be the most indecipherable horse shit I've ever seen in a video game.

I... might just eat the loss and jump straight to IX. That's how much fun my first hour was.

Now you know my pain. FF8 is still the FF game I hate the most. It sucks. The story sucks. The Junction system is garbage. The card game is shiiiiiit. 

People who like the card game probably also like Blitzball. Guess what, that's shit too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Now you know my pain. FF8 is still the FF game I hate the most. It sucks. The story sucks. The Junction system is garbage. The card game is shiiiiiit. 

People who like the card game probably also like Blitzball. Guess what, that's shit too. 

Blitzball grinding is what Save Game editors were created for.

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

You are safe skipping to IX. The junction system in VII is probably the worst in the entire series. The story is nonsensical even by FF standards. And the characters are bland and under-built.

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

You are safe skipping to IX. The junction system in VII is probably the worst in the entire series. The story is nonsensical even by FF standards. And the characters are bland and under-built.

Isn't FFII's hitting yourself worse?

• Like 1

What is the geek consensus on the FF order? People seem to agree on IV, V, and IX being near the top, with VI as the safe pick for best. VII and X have these super-polarized receptions since they're the "Hollywood" games. III's the clear-cut winner on the NES and I dig the DS remake but how well do people know it? The bottom three are probably VIII, II and XIII but I feel like VIII could be remastered and fixed up. No clue on XII since I've never played it and hear the Zodiac Edition is a big improvement.

55 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I have actually never heard anyone say a good thing about the actual Final Fantasy II (not the game that we now call IV).

The GBA remake is ok. 

I used Guy's USB/heavy physical skill to defeat Savage Quetzalcoatl for the first time? Some of the Leon stuff is ok plot wise?

It's character building?

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Isn't FFII's hitting yourself worse?

Yes and no. Its dumb, but at least its simple.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I have actually never heard anyone say a good thing about the actual Final Fantasy II (not the game that we now call IV).

Its hard to really say too much about something from that early in. Like the leveling mechanics are dumb but still simple enough while you really couldn't expect much story wise from back then.

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

What is the geek consensus on the FF order? People seem to agree on IV, V, and IX being near the top, with VI as the safe pick for best. VII and X have these super-polarized receptions since they're the "Hollywood" games. III's the clear-cut winner on the NES and I dig the DS remake but how well do people know it? The bottom three are probably VIII, II and XIII but I feel like VIII could be remastered and fixed up. No clue on XII since I've never played it and hear the Zodiac Edition is a big improvement.

VI being the best general consensus wise is more of a recent years thing. Beforehand it was between VI and VII for years. Then at some point VII garnered a good deal of backlash and was pushed into the polarizing spot. You are right about IV, V, & IX being held in high regard. IV and IX in particular take the top spot for many people. X was liked, but rarely loved.  You don't really hear many people talk about the first three games in general. VIII used to get a lot of love seemingly for not being VII. It was mostly an annoying contrarian bs thing that seemed to be more about being anti-VII than actually enjoying VIII. Honestly, VIII would need a full remake to be salvageable.  XII got an incredibly mixed reaction. I think it leaned a bit more positive after XIII, but I think that leaning wasn't unlike VIII's fandom for a bit. Never finished XII or XIII, but I thought XIII was better from what I recall of both. I haven't tried the Zodiac Edition of XII either to see how much of an improvement it is.

But they didn't have Eyes on Me! VIII had elements that worked. I thought the game had really solid character design, the writing just wasn't enough to back it up.

Here's a silly order to argue. VI > IV > IX > V > VII > III > X > XII > XV > I > VIII > XIII > II. I say this as a guy who never beat XII or XIII and am currently tooling around on XV when I feel like it / not playing through the entire Monolith Soft oeuvre.

I want to see some people put as much thought as all this into the Mortal Kombat franchise, just because I enjoy people having to acknowledge there's only like 3 or 4 actualliy good Mortal Kombat games and a whole bunch of other stuff we just pretend never happened. 

EDIT: I swear to god I didn't make a new year's resolution to just shit talk old franchises but here we are.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I want to see some people put as much thought as all this into the Mortal Kombat franchise, just because I enjoy people having to acknowledge there's only like 3 or 4 actualliy good Mortal Kombat games and a whole bunch of other stuff we just pretend never happened. 

EDIT: I swear to god I didn't make a new year's resolution to just shit talk old franchises but here we are.

Deadly Alliance and especially Deception were pretty fun games everyone shits on.

4, Armageddon, and DC vs. MK I won't refute.

47 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Deadly Alliance and especially Deception were pretty fun games everyone shits on.

4, Armageddon, and DC vs. MK I won't refute.

MK vs DC is a game that isn't good, but which I love thoroughly.  It's the origin of the story-mode model that became a Netherrealm staple after the weirdness of Deception and Armageddon, it tried some new things that didn't entirely work, and it let me play as Captain Marvel for the first time ever.  I feel like it's more mediocre than bad, but everything the studio made afterward was so much better that it sticks out like a sore thumb.  (spoken as someone who replayed it in the last 18 months)  Armageddon reeks of end-of-generation shovelware, 4 is just a total evolutionary wrong turn that has nothing to recommend it.

If I were going to just run an arcade ladder to kill 20 minutes, I think my preference would be 9>X>2>6 (Deception) > DC> 5 (Deadly Alliance) > 3 > Armageddon > 1 > 4 but that's based as much on sentiment as real quality.  The first 3 games have almost no value outside of nostalgia value and sowing the batshit crazy seeds of lore.

• Like 1

9 was so fucking good, even with Shao Khan being some sort of awful thing that came from Satan's anus itself in that game. It's so big and dumb and stupid but actually solid and balanced out enough. I had a lot of fun with that. Such a good balance of the goofy shit that made MK cool combined with just sensible modern design. Plus, the story that tied together all of MK's time travel nonsense is just a giant Dungeons & Dragons plainswalking mumbo jumbo story so of course I like that.