DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

CODECOMBAT [3]
I dont know why this is the year that I've decided to learn how to code as a hobby, but this is the year that I've decided to learn how to code as a hobby. Codecombat is a browser based python tutorial with RPG framing. I am enjoying it as a logic puzzle. Ideally this turns into an ability to make a video game later. My goal with learning how to code is to make a game for my mom, who likes Castlevania but has been passed up by 2D action game design in the last twenty years. Maybe I'll put it out. Maybe I wont ever finish it. Either way, Codecombat is a good enough time.

THE ETERNAL CASTLE REMASTERED [4]
GOTY candidate if your brain is broken in the same way mine is. It is a modern Flashback/Another World style game with an artstyle that is 100% completely amazing. It's only using four colors for the palette at a time, but what it's doing with those colors is just incredible. But, honestly, if you read "modern Flashback/Another World" and went "ugh why the fuck would you do that," you're good, this game will do nothing to convince you. It's also fascinating as a performative co-opting of nostalgia. The Eternal Castle isn't a real game. It's framed as remastered because the conceit of the design is that it's based on a game the developer remembers playing but doesn't remember the details of, so they made it again from scratch. So while that original game doesn't exist, that kinetic awkwardness of old PC games absolutely does. I strongly conditionally recommend this game.

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I always love when I am able to watch two episodes of The Good Place while a game that I physically own has to install itself on my console before I can play it

I feel like this isn't sarcasm because you are genuinely overjoyed to have had the chance to watch two episodes of The Good Place, in which case I share in your joy.

7 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I feel like this isn't sarcasm because you are genuinely overjoyed to have had the chance to watch two episodes of The Good Place, in which case I share in your joy.

To be fair - there was a lot of sarcasm but yes I just started watching the Good Place yesterday evening and I think I am 7 or 8 episodes deep now so realizing I could fire up Netflix on my iPad while Spider-man installed eased the irritation

• Like 2

Playing New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, and uh, well, maybe Nintendo should stop making these 2D games in the "New" series and do anything else with 2D Mario. There are lots of hidden items and secret exits, and as someone who really values exploration in his platformers, I should be so into that. The jump physics and feel of the characters, especially when trying to break into a run, are so bad that they cancel out my feelings about the level design entirely.

Also, this game is fucking ugly. Tiny Luigi looks like he was drawn by me, which is a real problem since my lack of spatial ability means that anything I draw looks like a desiccated hand. Put this up against other games of its budget and type, for example like Rayman Legends, and the motherfucker ain't even close. 

Nintendo had been low-key making bad Mario games for awhile between the release of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Odyssey. Those Galaxy games were the prettiest games that I've ever played and they were creative, but the actual gameplay and course design fell entirely flat most of the time, and those are the best games of a sub-average bunch. These New Super Mario Bros. games are an entirely new level of shitty.

Hot take incoming: Sonic has had the same amount of good core (platformer) games than Mario has between 1996 and now (Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, and Sonic Mania vs. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Maker, and Super Mario Odyssey).

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

There are maybe 3 good sonic games if we really stretch the definition of good to be "things people remember being good". I'm not even sure it's a top 10 SEGA franchise.

Bullshit.

Sonic isn't Mario. The fanbase is so beyond repugnant that it's a weird kind of sympathetic. No franchise has fallen off harder.

That doesn't mean that Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic + Knuckles (and add-ons), Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, the Rush series on DS and the wholly, criminally, never-mentioned in the conversation, underrated Sonic Advance series aren't some seriously great times on their respective consoles.

I'm not ever going to argue borderline-good games like Sonic Adventure, Heroes, or Generations. The conversation has always existed, even if the good (great) work Sonic Mania put in last year brought it back moreso than ever.

We're at a point where there are probably more bad Sonic games than good ones and that sucks. 30-somethings that grew up on a Sonic vs. Mario mindset might view that as damning. But did y'all even play Sonic Colors on Wii? Rush Adventure on DS? Tails fuckin' Adventure on Game Gear? There's like a dozen good Sonic games and arguing otherwise just doesn't hold water.

• Like 2

YAKUZA 0 UPDATE:

Chapter 14. I have now spent 175 hrs on this game since July, almost as much time as on Kiwami 1 and Fist of the North Star combined.  I really hate the minigame showdowns in Real Estate, I've lost the catfight challenge 4 times now.  I can't even imagine ever doing enough to finish hostess club because I'm just not great at it, even when I get a solid balance of girls my take is like 20 million yen.  I am definitely taking a break after I beat this to play God of War or something instead of moving directly to K2, since I have effectively spent two weeks of my life doing nothing but playing Yakuza games since May.

Shit, I'm only playing Kiwami one and it's pissing me off. Seems to suffer from a bad case of CBC* from time to time, with no real explanation as to why.

* Cheating Bloody Computer. When AI opponents engage god mode.

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I thought 3D World was pretty darn great even if it went from being way too easy to way too hard by the end.

I'm in the minority, I know, but I think 3D World is a bad game. It's clearly geared for multiplayer, which makes the levels feel sort of empty and without a clear direction or structure in SP until the post-game. It's got all this space, but it doesn't do interesting stuff with it like the Mario games where non-linear platforming is the focus (64, Odyssey). 

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

There are maybe 3 good sonic games if we really stretch the definition of good to be "things people remember being good". I'm not even sure it's a top 10 SEGA franchise.

Nah, gonna have to deny this. Sonic does what it does extremely well. If people don't like the different jump physics or the "speeding around loops as a reward for nailing a platforming section" design of the levels, that is what it is, but it clearly is a great series pre-Dreamcast, and the 2D stuff in daytime Unleashed stages, Colors, and Generations is exceptionally good. 

• Like 1

because I feel like being weird and ornery I went through all the sega franchises I could find and turns out Sonic is probably like 10th best. in order,

Yakuza
Virtua Fighter
Panzer Dragoon
Phantasy Star
Shining Force (NOT THE ARPGS)
Streets of Rage
Puyo Puyo
House of the Dead
Jet Set Radio

and then Sonic, unless you're one of those weird fukin Shenmue people in which case you should go play the Yakuza games, they're Shenmue But Good Instead

13 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

because I feel like being weird and ornery I went through all the sega franchises I could find and turns out Sonic is probably like 10th best. in order,

Yakuza
Virtua Fighter
Panzer Dragoon
Phantasy Star
Shining Force (NOT THE ARPGS)
Streets of Rage
Puyo Puyo
House of the Dead
Jet Set Radio

and then Sonic, unless you're one of those weird fukin Shenmue people in which case you should go play the Yakuza games, they're Shenmue But Good Instead

I know it's my dislike of most JRPGs speaking here, but Phantasy Star and Shining Force are a no from me, dawg. I like quite a few SRPGs, too, and I don't hate Shining Force, but the aesthetics put me off. Everything outside of the actual tactical battles puts me off. 

Also, I like light gun games, but HotD...uh, nah. 

I could entertain there being nine better SEGA franchises than Sonic, but those three aren't among them. If you had gone with World Series Baseball, Ristar (even though there's only one of them because that's how fucking GREAT Ristar is), and NiGHTS (even though Journey of Dreams exists), we could talk. 

(I would also entertain "Virtual On," "Thunder Force," or even "Zaxxon" as possibilities even though I wouldn't ultimately agree myself with any of them.)

I'm reminded of the fact that 2019 is the year Panzer Dragoon comes back

everybody buys Zwei on the eShop and SEGA does a Saga remake from the ground-up

When I run for God Emperor of the Universe, it will be on a "No Saturn games get remade until Burning Rangers does" platform. 

Not even Fighters Megamix. That's how serious I am about this. 

It really sucks when you say you like fighting games, and everyone assumes that that means you're either a Street Fighter guy, or a Mortal Kombat guy. And if you say neither, it's Smash Bros. Bloody travesty, that. Sega perfected the art and get no love.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

My God-Emperor decree is that nothing gets made until we get a new Power Stone.

I'm still salty that they re-released them for the PSP and Vita and absolutely nothing else.

Then you should check out the recently released Combat Core, which is the spiritual successor to Power Stone. It just came out on the Switch on Friday and it's been on Steam.