DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

There is also a Final Fantasy VI randomizer out there but if you're into that kind of thing, but the one for IV is more varied/interesting in the long run because the way that game stored data just allows for far more jumbling up of the actual experience, where as the one for VI is still (more or less) the linear game experience with bosses shuffled about.

12 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I didn't get too into IX. That's the one with the card system, right? That seemed wacky when I watched my friend's brother play it for a while. 

I adore Yoshitaka Amano's art style too. Those $100 SNES games seemed worth it when you got that incredible artwork in the manuals.

Both VIII and IX had card games.  IX's main character had a tail, VIII's main character was dollar-store-Cloud.

40 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Is FF6/3 the consensus best Final Fantasy on these boards? If not, why do you have bad opinions? Perhaps more seriously, which games am I missing out on? For instance I haven't played IV. Remember, if you feel it's not VI/III, then you're not just disagreeing with me you're disagreeing with Samoa Joe (didn't he say that was his favourite game of all time on UUDD?).

its VI for me, then VII. After them I'm not sure. IV is definitely good fun. You should check it out.

27 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I've yet to play IX, which seems to be the other serious contender in a lot of people's eyes. I'm going to get to that, but not until I play VII and VIII. Looking forward to it.

IX was always kind of overrated to me. Perfectly solid but nothing amazing, just better than the game before it in VIII.

At some point I really need to go back and finish/restart XII & XIII. I need to properly start XV as well.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

At some point I really need to go back and finish/restart XII & XIII. I need to properly start XV as well.

Don't bother with XV, as Squeenix didn't bother to finish it for anyone else.

XIII is ok, but if you thought X was on rails, XIII is the Small World ride.

30 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I already own XV so I have to play it at some point. I liked X fine. Really only XII & VIII ever gave me moments of active dislike.

I'm up to 68% completion on Konami's Pixel Puzzle Collection. This game is just as good nostalgia/video game history as Smash, on the real. 

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

I thought XIII-2 was a better game than XIII as it gives you much more freedom. Never having played XV (which I probably never will do) XII is my least-favorite FF game, the whole thing is so bland, no remarkable characters, a story that is both uninteresting and hard to follow at the same time.

I am in the camp of IX being the best in the series, though I can also see people who did not like it as much. There are clear pluses (great presentation, charming characters, characters with completely different skillsets (the only PSX FF game to do so), addictive minigame (Chocobo hot-and-cold), nostalgic classic-fantasy setting, story that splits and joins in the early parts similar to VI) and minuses (no gameplay related innovations, story getting weird in the latter part of the games, no great bonus challenges like the weapons in VII, trance system is a bit random).

I'd love to talk about how Final Fantasy VI is my favorite game of all time, but the last thread closed before I got my opinions on Sonic R in. I have it on the Sonic Gems Collection and it might be my favorite bad game ever. That soundtrack is stupefying. I actually got through the levels in single player and I guess there's *something* to the gameplay? It's so short it's harmless. Getting people to play it at the tail end of a party is a worthwhile gag, assuming everyone's had enough to drink.

• Like 1

1. RDR 2. It's gorgeous. It hasn't quite grabbed me the way the first one did, but I'm only on Chapter 2. I'm already excited about all the hunting stuff, but man, do I hate walking up on a deer I just shot. 

2. Skater XL. It's in Early Access on Steam. I've been waiting for this since Skate 3. It has a long way to go, but the board physics are already better than the Skate series from what I can see. My backlog is the Spider-Man DLC and maybe NG+. I got Divinity: Original Sin 2 for Xmas and Dark Souls 3 waiting for me. That's a dense batch of gaming right there and I honestly doubt I'll get through all of it.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm up again at midnight on the West Coast, playing video games and reading the board, so why not?

To start 2019, two questions: 

1. What are you playing now and how are you enjoying it?
  2. What is your most anticipated gaming thing for 2019? It can be a new release, a old release that you plan to finally get your hands on, whatever. 

1) Yakuza 0 at home. Smash Ultimate on the bus. I'm loving both; the Yakuza formula hits my buttons so perfectly I can't even explain, and Smash is Smash.

2) Mortal Kombat XI; the last decade of Netherrealm games combined with Capcom killing everything I loved about SF5 has left me with great expectations for the new game. Also highly anticipated: UFO50, Judge Eyes, Doom Eternal

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'd love to talk about how Final Fantasy VI is my favorite game of all time, but the last thread closed before I got my opinions on Sonic R in. I have it on the Sonic Gems Collection and it might be my favorite bad game ever. That soundtrack is stupefying. I actually got through the levels in single player and I guess there's *something* to the gameplay? It's so short it's harmless. Getting people to play it at the tail end of a party is a worthwhile gag, assuming everyone's had enough to drink.

I might pull out my Saturn and pop it in sometime when I'm bored in the next few months. I'll hate-play it for fifteen minutes, my wife will hear it and immediately break into CAN YOU FEEL THE SUNSHINE/AS IT BRIGHTENS UP YOUR DAY, which is a song she weirdly knows even though she doesn't really play video games and I don't exactly play a whole lot of Sonic R, and then I'll switch over to playing NiGHTS or VF2 or Darius Gaiden or Fighters Megamix or Night Warriors or something. 

Actually, I did buy a copy of X-Men: Children of the Atom three or four years back on a whim, but I still haven't actually played it yet, so maybe I should get the Saturn out. I legit haven't played that game in twenty years or so. 

It would also give me the chance to play some WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game. 

Has anyone owned one of the Nintendo 64 Funtastic series consoles?  Those were the consoles that came in various translucent colors - jungle green, grape purple, etc.  I'm assuming that, since the shells are basically clear plastic, they more or less glow in the dark when turned on and look rather cool in low lighting?  True?  I've been looking for an hour to try to find a video of one plugged in and still no luck.

They series really doesn't appeal to me. but I have a feeling I'd like them much more if I saw one plugged in.  Any thoughts?  Wandering if I should snap one or two from eBay.

8 hours ago, Spritenaut 32 said:

Has anyone owned one of the Nintendo 64 Funtastic series consoles?  Those were the consoles that came in various translucent colors - jungle green, grape purple, etc.  I'm assuming that, since the shells are basically clear plastic, they more or less glow in the dark when turned on and look rather cool in low lighting?  True?  I've been looking for an hour to try to find a video of one plugged in and still no luck.

They series really doesn't appeal to me. but I have a feeling I'd like them much more if I saw one plugged in.  Any thoughts?  Wandering if I should snap one or two from eBay.

I've had the jungle green one since it came out and honestly never remember it glowing in the dark.  I've always played it with the lights on so it wasn't something I paid attention to.  I'm hoping to get it hooked up to start playing it again and I'll see what happens.

20 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Is FF6/3 the consensus best Final Fantasy on these boards? If not, why do you have bad opinions? Perhaps more seriously, which games am I missing out on? For instance I haven't played IV. Remember, if you feel it's not VI/III, then you're not just disagreeing with me you're disagreeing with Samoa Joe (didn't he say that was his favourite game of all time on UUDD?).

It's the best pre PS2. I have Thoughts and Feelings which make FF X the best overall IMO, YMMV, etc. VI was one of the first I remember where you actually have the bad guy WIN, and then have to come back from that. The story is amazing, the characters are memorable, the esper system is really good, and the music is amazing for the technical limitations. 

6, 9, and 10 are my top ones, with 7 there for historic importance, even though I thought 9 was the better PSX FF.  I'll defend 10 as great even if it's largely linear and doesn't even attempt to convince you otherwise, even though every FF is linear when you look at it.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of the last disc of IX (where the plot gets unnecessarily existential and at which point you've already gained pretty much every ability there is to gain, ending playable character growth) but really like the rest. X's biggest problem was the lack of skippable cutscenes, just absolutely gutting replay value. The addition of voice acting slowing everything down kills it as a player. That was fixed in later versions but I haven't played those. Its second biggest problem was a problem for every game after it, replacing of meaningful character/plot driven side-quests with mini-games or (later) hunts. 

I got a C-64 Mini when Amazon had them for under fifty.  Emulation seems very good, game selection is a little iffy outside the Epyx stuff, you can tell the people in charge of picking games were UK-based. I need to hook up a USB keyboard, as the Apshai games are really not fun using a virtual keyboard.

The joystick is brutal. It's stiff and feels like it barely moves when you tilt it. I haven't used an actual Atari or C-64 joystick since about 1990, so I'm having a hard time telling whether it's just bad, or an accurate representation of joysticks that were bad by modern standards but were my only frame of reference in 1983.  Even with a crummy stick, the Impossible Mission and Jumpman games are still legit fun.  I'm half tempted to look for an archive of Ahoy mags and type in some games, but I know that I won't actually finish it.

With my wife getting called in to work on New Years Eve at seemingly the last minute because people always need dialysis, that just left my daughter and me to hang out until my wife got out of work. So, for some dumb reason, I decided that we should buy a new Switch game because the Mario Party and Hyrule Warriors my daughter got wasn't enough.

We bought Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Smash Bros. is always a game I buy and wonder why in the hell I bought it. I just never stick with it. I think it's devoid of strategy and button mashy as all hell. As far as fighting games go, I just don't quit get the platformer fighting game. At the same time, my daughter is 8, she likes a lot of these characters, and I figured we would get some use out of it. The story mode is actually kinda cool, but there's some caveats. First, some of the fights are downright cheap. Cheap wins for us or cheap wins for the computer. Second, after a couple hours into it, you pretty much know what the whole mode is and from my understanding this mode takes 30 hours? Oof.

My biggest problem with the mode is that we unlocked Marth. Now, Marth on his own is whatever. However, we also unlocked the spirit that goes with Marth, some 3 star spirit that ups sword damage. We boosted that spirit to 99 and now it doesn't matter what the opponent's fighter type is, Marth ALWAYS wins. Sometimes in a few sword swipes because the power level for Marth at that point is something like 10,000+. Not only that, but he'll get even more powerful as we upgrade the story mode skill tree.

Maybe I'll never get Smash Bros., but at least my daughter seems to be enjoying it.

Super Mario Party on the other hand may be the best Mario Party ever made.

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Super Mario Party on the other hand may be the best Mario Party ever made.

Ah, the result of only having low bars to clear. 

• Haha 1

If you want to go off the board of the current meta in M:tG Arena, and still want to have fun, and still want to be able to actually, get this, win a game, here's a thing I threw together a few days ago (without spending a shit ton of wildcards) that is fine. If you have resources and/or skills to refine this further, be my guest. But it's certainly a good change of pace from seeing the same shit over and over. I have mainly played this in just free play (where you will see every wild ass nasty deck in the universe) and I'd say it wins about 50% of the time. I haven't pushed ranked play that hard but I gave it a go in 2 games in the gold ranks and happened to win both, so this is not completely soft.

1 Dragonskull Summit
4 Cinder Barrens
8 Swamp 
8 Mountain
4 Doomed Dissenter
3 Brawl-Bash Ogre 
2 Banefire
2 Shivan Fire
4 Goblin Instigator
4 Lightning Strike
4 Lava Coil
2 Dragon Egg
2 Rekindling Phoenix
2 Gravewaker
2 Open the Graves

2 Rite of Belzenlok
4 Fungal Infection
2 Deathbloom Thallid

You are welcome. Enjoy.

I still play paper Magic and was even in the closed beta for Arena early on, but I hate the lack of group games and I especially hate the entire dusting/wildcard system. It still doesn't feel right after all this time. 

Meanwhile, I really feel like Artifact completely nailed how that type of game should work. Yes, there's no free to play component to earn more cards, but after the $20 to buy Artifact, which really just gets you a good starter deck and packs of cards, I only had to spend $12 to $15 on the Steam marketplace to finish building a tier 1 deck. It helped that I opened an Axe in one of my first packs. 

Oh yeah, it's also lame that WotC left out Android devices when it came to Arena platforms. Give us an Android release!