DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I read a plot analysis of all the KH games once. That was a mistake. As it is, it doesn't really matter because we're not playing this thing for a few years given that our most sophisticated system is a Wii U.

The 6 year old got Lego Avengers for Xmas (we had just unlocked Stan Lee in Lego Marvel the day before, finishing things up), and now that we've unlocked the hubs it's a lot of fun, though severely hampered by the lack of a functional map. Because of the rights issues and the choice to go deeper instead of wider, the breadth of characters is just a blast. Some of the first optional characters you unlock are Captain Universe, Chase, and Korvac and any attempt I made at trying to explain Thor Girl came off like the 90s Matrix Supergirl and I knew that wasn't right. I'm going to have to pony up for the DLC since for some reason the 6 year old is all about Dormammu. 

I've been playing Final Fantasy Type-0, which is the only standalone single player FF other than XV I haven't played (I haven't played the two XIII sequels, or Dirge of Cerberus for instance). Despite my intel card messing up the characters, it's a decent amount of fun. I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm playing it is to figure out who the heck these characters are for FFRK though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

What are the must play, non obvious PS4 exclusives?

Like I already know my own list is Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, God of War, the Uncharted games I haven't played but I am sure I am spacing on some

Ratchet and Clank (2016) is excellent.

Everybody's Golf is a must-play, IMO, but I don't know how you feel about arcade golf games.

Until Dawn is very good. I'm not calling it "must-play," but it's a fun trip. 

I'd say that inFamous: Second Son and First Light are both worth playing. They may not be essential, but I think they do traversal in an open world better than any PS4 game this side of Spider-Man. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I loved Everybody's Golf but it sure got monotonous really quickly. I wish there was more to do than play the same course over and over again.

I thought the variations on play and the variables like wind, small cup, etc., helped to keep the courses fresh. I'm also a perfectionist who loved the core gameplay so much that I was focused on lowering my score as much as possible, though, so even without that, I probably would have been pretty okay with the fairly limited course variation. 

Just now, Smelly McUgly said:

I thought the variations on play and the variables like wind, small cup, etc., helped to keep the courses fresh. I'm also a perfectionist who loved the core gameplay so much that I was focused on lowering my score as much as possible, though, so even without that, I probably would have been pretty okay with the fairly limited course variation. 

Yeah, I'm with you, even though I wish it shipped with a couple more courses.

Speaking of, I need to buy the rest of the DLC courses while the sale is still on.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

What are the must play, non obvious PS4 exclusives?

Like I already know my own list is Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, God of War, the Uncharted games I haven't played but I am sure I am spacing on some

Do you have a few minutes to talk about our Lord and Savior, Kazuma Kiryu?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Do you have a few minutes to talk about our Lord and Savior, Kazuma Kiryu?

Yakuza 0 is one of the two or three best games of 2018. I forgot that Yakuza is a third-party exclusive.

I hope SEGA brings the series to Switch. Maybe Switch can't run the Yakuza 0/Y6 engine, but I hope the Kiwami games can come over. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I loved Everybody's Golf but it sure got monotonous really quickly. I wish there was more to do than play the same course over and over again.

I really liked Everybody's Golf for about 3 days, and realized it was 2018 and playing the same course over and over again was unacceptable in 1998.

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am angry at myself for forgetting Ratchet & Clank since I have played all the previous games (I might be missing one)

One thing to note is that Ratchet, Bloodborne and a fuck ton of other stuff is on Playstation Now.  PSNow doesn't get day-one first-party titles like Xbox Game Pass (and thus is not as good) but this time of year you can get 12 months for $80. It is objectively not worth the monthly ($20) and quarterly ($45) plans, but it's got enough very good shit to be worth the holiday deal.

9 hours ago, JLSigman said:

ROFL  I've got to find some recaps, because apparently not playing the handheld games that came out after KH II means I'm missing a few important plot points. 

That's not even the worst of it.  There's at least one recap on Youtube that says the frigging gacha mobile game is canon and kicks off the entire KH storyline.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:58 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm up again at midnight on the West Coast, playing video games and reading the board, so why not?

To start 2019, two questions: 

1. What are you playing now and how are you enjoying it?
  2. What is your most anticipated gaming thing for 2019? It can be a new release, a old release that you plan to finally get your hands on, whatever. 

1. As I'm writing this, I'm watching the final cutscene of Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. Pretty nice game, somewhere between an 8 and an 8.5 from me. A real aesthetic triumph, absolutely gorgeous art direction, a who's who of voice actors, top notch soundtrack, all of that. The gameplay's as ingenious as it is rough-around-the-edges (and I mean edges), but it's not so much the fault of the system (turn-based/real time shooting hybrid with set amount of turns and real-time cover fire) as the implementation of it. A lot of the game is based around not knowing what the hell a particular mission wants from you until you fail it once. Abusing the ability to save after every movement is both essential and tedious in harder battles. Still, it's a more clever combat system than not and everything else in the game gets you through. Even the workmanlike anime storyline has its moments.

But I fucked up and got buried under my JRPG backlog. I own plenty of games from plenty of genres, but I've currently got active files going on Person 4: Golden, Xenosaga 2, Final Fantasy Adventure 2, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, and The World Ends With You. TWEWY's the next one I have to finish. I bought it last March and only managed to give a crap about it in the last few weeks.

2. See: backlog. Games I own , have never even started, and am most excited about , going on the six-hundred-some games I have displayed in my living room; Ninja Gaiden Black, Baten Kaitos, Incredible Crisis, NIER, Robot Alchemic Drive, Danganronpa 2, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Bully, The Last Story, and Zack & Wiki. EDIT: AND MY ORIGINAL PRESSING YAKUZA 2 the hell did i forget that

Real answer for new 2019 releases; Psychonauts 2, the Resident Evil 2 remake, and Shenmue motherfuckin' 3. I'm sure some new franchise will swipe me off my feet but I know enough not to expect which one it'll be before the fact.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm up again at midnight on the West Coast, playing video games and reading the board, so why not?

To start 2019, two questions: 

1. What are you playing now and how are you enjoying it?
  2. What is your most anticipated gaming thing for 2019? It can be a new release, a old release that you plan to finally get your hands on, whatever. 

1. Smash Bros Ultimate
man, it's a blast. i think i'm pretty much burned out on Spirit Adventure or whatever the single player campaign mode is, though. I'm extremely near the end (no spoilers) and i think i've hit my limit on the frustration i can handle. I've unlocked all the characters i wanted and skipped a few that i don't care about (mainly pokemon + wii fit trainer)

2. i honestly don't know any games that i'm excited for to release in 2019. My whole year 2018 has basically built to Smash. i will probably go back to my backlog, although a coworker has seriously got me contemplating Pokemon Let's Go, so i'll likely pick that up in the next week or so.  But i've also felt the pull from Sonic the Hedgehog, so maybe i'll dive in to Sonic Mania or replay Sonic 2 & Knuckles for the umpteenth time. but i never did finish Metroid......

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

1. Smash Bros Ultimate
man, it's a blast. i think i'm pretty much burned out on Spirit Adventure or whatever the single player campaign mode is, though. I'm extremely near the end (no spoilers) and i think i've hit my limit on the frustration i can handle. I've unlocked all the characters i wanted and skipped a few that i don't care about (mainly pokemon + wii fit trainer)

2. i honestly don't know any games that i'm excited for to release in 2019. My whole year 2018 has basically built to Smash. i will probably go back to my backlog, although a coworker has seriously got me contemplating Pokemon Let's Go, so i'll likely pick that up in the next week or so.  But i've also felt the pull from Sonic the Hedgehog, so maybe i'll dive in to Sonic Mania or replay Sonic 2 & Knuckles for the umpteenth time. but i never did finish Metroid......

I wanted all the characters so while I did a little of Spirit Adventure it was mainly doing regular/special smash battles that led to me getting them all.  Hope you and others add your Switch name in the naming thread as I'd like to do online battles without having to deal with cheap bastards.

My wife played the crap out of Let's Go before we got Smash.  If you're into the series at all it's super fun to play.  If you happen to find one with the Pokeball and don't mind dropping the cash for it it does add to the overall experience.  As great as Sonic 2 is I can't recommend Sonic Mania enough.  It's a mix of old and new and the guy behind it that works with Sega put so much love into the game.  It's the Sonic game it should have always been instead of the 3D games that had mixed results.  If you're up for physical copies of games then get that.  It has a reversible cover and the other side looks like a cover straight out of the Genesis days.

• Like 1

Finished Final Fantasy IV last night for the first time. It was really good, on the whole. Combat-wise it actually... feels a lot like Dragon Quest XI? It just has like 50 less hours of exposition. Overall I enjoyed it a lot and I am glad I finally knocked this off my never played list. Apparently the Steam/DS/IOS version is significantly harder than the NA SNES release, which was toned down compared to the original Japanese version? Anyway, it feels real good overall. A lot of the bosses will absolutely fuck your shit up if you don't understand their gimmick.

Started VII this morning... Been ages since I touched this. I think the first hour is about 20 minutes of gameplay and 40 minutes of cutscenes which is exactly what I remember. Also I accidentally locked myself into at least 2 inescapable tutorials that made me want to die. Welcome to Final Fantasy VII everyone!

• Haha 1

I gave FF7 a run about a year ago, and I was amazed at how fucking easy the game was if you just bothered paying attention to the Enemy Skill materia. You wipe the floor with everyone with limits and maybe 6 skills.  Of course, I never finished it (i.e., knocked over the Weapons & descended the crater), so all the actually hard stuff from Disc 3 (in my head I know it's that, even while playing on Steam) is still left.  Maybe I'll bother, maybe I won't.

Is FF6/3 the consensus best Final Fantasy on these boards? If not, why do you have bad opinions? Perhaps more seriously, which games am I missing out on? For instance I haven't played IV. Remember, if you feel it's not VI/III, then you're not just disagreeing with me you're disagreeing with Samoa Joe (didn't he say that was his favourite game of all time on UUDD?).

VI is incredible. I've been watching quite a few speedruns in the last few months. (It was that and seeing the FF IV Randomizer which re-ignited my interest in the series.) It's actually a pretty easy game casually especially if you fully exploit the Esper system (I highly recommend self-banning using Espers on the non-magic users at all), but goddamn it's one of the greatest video game stories ever told. I still have a working SNES cart of it so I have zero interest in the steam mobile port version which just flat out looks inferior. The soundtrack of that game is, like, insane that it exists. There's never been better work done with MIDI files. It's like someone painted a Mona Lisa out of a box of crayola crayons, somehow.

I've yet to play IX, which seems to be the other serious contender in a lot of people's eyes. I'm going to get to that, but not until I play VII and VIII. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I didn't get too into IX. That's the one with the card system, right? That seemed wacky when I watched my friend's brother play it for a while. 

I adore Yoshitaka Amano's art style too. Those $100 SNES games seemed worth it when you got that incredible artwork in the manuals.