DVDVR Message Board

2019 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

SirSmUgly

I'm up again at midnight on the West Coast, playing video games and reading the board, so why not?

To start 2019, two questions: 

1. What are you playing now and how are you enjoying it?
  2. What is your most anticipated gaming thing for 2019? It can be a new release, a old release that you plan to finally get your hands on, whatever. 

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Yakuza Kiwami and lots of Rocket League.

Well, my backlog of things I own is Uncharted 4 and God of War. Planning on getting RDR2 at some point. Anthem... maybe.

4 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm up again at midnight on the West Coast, playing video games and reading the board, so why not?

Christmas NiGHTS Into Dreams on the Saturn.  Really enjoying it.  The amount of bonus material and Easter eggs packed into what is basically a demo is astounding.

What is your most anticipated gaming thing for 2019? It can be a new release, a old release that you plan to finally get your hands on, whatever. 

Eh, I've got a bucket list of games I'm planning to spend $100-$1000 on sometime this year, but I think the things I'm looking forward to the most are: getting boxes and original manuals for the rest of my retro systems, collecting most of the hardware peripherals for the 32-bit gen consoles (Saturn, N64, PS1 mostly), and getting those same 32 bit systems hooked up to a CRT telly and doing whatever else I need o do to maximize the video quality.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I've been playing through N++ again, now that I have a monitor with a better refresh rate (I need all the milliseconds of reaction time I can get with that game). I also made a huge mistake and bought The Sims 4 while it was on sale for $5. I handle stress in odd ways, now that I think of it.

I'm looking forward to new Cuphead DLC, as well as working through my backlog of games I purchased and wanted to play but didn't for whatever reason.

6 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

2. What is your most anticipated gaming thing for 2019? It can be a new release, a old release that you plan to finally get your hands on, whatever. 

1) Mostly Star Wars: The Old Republic and Lord of the Rings: Online. Both are fun ways to waste time. 

2) I'm a goober, I know, but I will somehow, someway have Kingdom Hearts III in my hands when it comes out. 

1) Currently kind of burning out yet again on Path of Exile, but I had a real good run this league. It's incredible how much content is in that game, and that's the power of the "successful free 2 play long term game" model. Game is a mammoth. Also still playing Slay the Spire, mostly when I wind down before bed.  It's funny that because it's going to officially leave early access in January, I can already tell you what my game of the year for 2019 is. Playing through the steam version of Final Fantasy IV for the first time. It's quite good, the challenge factor is there with a lot of the bosses, and the soundtrack is *chef kisses fingers* as far as the midi shit goes. This was a weird gap in my old RPG collection and it's been a lot of fun. FF IV is very much a J-ass-JRPG, and honestly for all the talk of people whining about this being the DS port on the graphics front it's... fine? If people can fetishize hideous visual trash like Ocarina of Time they can absolutely find a place in their heart for this.

2) I don't see myself playing much on the AAA front in 2019 because my laptop is underpowered, but I also live on Twitch now so I'll see all of it. Sekeiro: Shadows Die Twice should be cool? It's gonna be a year of me playing indie games (and holy shit, is it a good time to be in that space) and knocking off other old shit I haven't played like Final Fantasy 9. I also want to do more with tabletop RPG's this year. Why did nobody sit me down years ago and tell me how fun those were?

1) Right now, it's MGSV and Link to the Past and Super Metroid randomizers (even the combined one).  I love MGSV, even if it's not finished and a little disjointed but I love the game.  the Randomizers are fun, and it's more a rolling back into them deal, although my hands really don't agree with the technical moves SM requires but they're getting easier with repitition. 

2) Outside of the Resident Evil 2 remake, there's nothing that stands out as "Oh shit, I gotta have this!", although I'm looking hard at a Switch for some of that stuff.

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

1) Mostly Star Wars: The Old Republic and Lord of the Rings: Online. Both are fun ways to waste time. 

2) I'm a goober, I know, but I will somehow, someway have Kingdom Hearts III in my hands when it comes out. 

I watched a streamer play the entire PS4 collection of the KH series last year so I'm all in on at least watching 3 now.

Please don't ask me to explain the story.

• Haha 1

I still play Binding of Isaac daily as it's something my wife enjoys watching.  I've also been slowly going through Dragon Quest XI, and Zelda: BOTW and I just picked up WWE 2k19 in the PSN winter sale to be my screwing around game.  At some point I need to get back into Red Dead 2, but I just didn't find it very enjoyable to actually play.

1. I...I spent the morning playing Skyrim. Clearly I hate my life. But I just bought a 4K TV, and I did want to see what the SE really looks like. It looks like Skyrim. 

2. MUA 3 is the only genuinely exciting game for me. I almost feel done with getting more games, maybe ever at this rate. My backlog is embarrassing, and perhaps I'll do something about it. 

Sad panda, of course, that MUA 3 doesn't drop until practically 2020.

Clone Hero. Last week, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos from a guy who streams the game and it looked like fun. So I downloaded it, dusted off my RB1 wired guitar controller, and now I'm totally hooked. The last plastic instrument game I played was Rock Band 3 and, having played CH for a week, I'm already doing song charts on hard mode instead of normal. I'll never be as good a player as the players who stream the game (because holy crap) but I'm having a ton of fun fudging my way through songs again.

I should have answered these. I'm in the epilogue of Red Dead Redemption 2. Its systems are confounding sometimes, but it's quite the achievement. I'm stunned that Rockstar wrote multiple solid female characters, for as male-dominated and overly-broad as most of their games are.

I'm super-excited for Yoshi's Crafted World. That's the game that I want the most. I have trepidation about Psychonauts 2 being able to capture the utter magic of the original, but that's the other game that I'm really thinking about playing from 2019. Well, and The Outer Worlds, too. Obsidian RPGs are the best in the business outside of that shitty South Park RPG they made.  

I also downloaded the MtG Online game.

I have no fucking idea what I'm doing.

EDIT: Okay, looking over the basic rules, and I actually do know what I'm doing in that outside of the tap/untap stuff, it's structured the same as YGO (or rather, YGO structured itself off MtG),  so that my curve won't be that bad.  I just need to figure out how to deck build and what everything does, since I'm used to a 40 card deck and 15 extra instead of a 60 card and 15 sideboard with the need to run lands.

Currently playing Red Dead 2, and when that's done, gonna push through the backlog, including finishing Dying Light, Spider-Man, and Yakuza 0. 

I'm happy to say that very few games are catching my eye for next year, as enough has come out recently to tide me over for a while. Still, Psychonauts 2 is highly anticipated, as is The Pathless.

I’m playing AC:Odyssey. A lot. 20+ hours over the last 3-4 days. Much like Origins, this game is a dream come true for someone (me) who likes to check boxes in video games. A billion discreet areas, all with their own clearly defined objectives? Sign me up!

Also started Celeste, which seems like it might end up more punishing than I want, but I’m playing with Assist Mode off. I’d be willing to flip it on to see the story, though. The good thing is that, while I’m banging my head against some parts, it’s ultimately a super fair game. When I die, it’s because I messed up, not because the game screwed me. 

God help me, but KH3 is the game I’m most looking forward to. It’s going to be one of those games that causes me to drop everything else so I can focus on it. 

Isn't it annoying that the minute you start downloading, your consumer rights go out of the window? I've wasted £40 on two games I don't enjoy this Christmas (Detroit Become Human and Project Cars 2) and am unable to get a refund because I downloaded them when I bought them. Think I'll go back to buying physical copies rather than get caught out again.

As for upcoming games, hopefully I'll finally get to play Kentucky Route Zero when it's released on PS4. Other than that REmake 2, Streets of Rage 4 and Last of Us II are the only things on my radar

What are the must play, non obvious PS4 exclusives?

Like I already know my own list is Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, God of War, the Uncharted games I haven't played but I am sure I am spacing on some

I'm back and forth between Fire Pro World and WWE 2K19 on PS4.  For Switch it's all about Smash Brothers.  I unlocked all the fighters the other day and at this point am trying to get better playing as certain characters.  Will dip back into Spirit Adventure fairly soon.

As for games on the horizon it's kind of hard to think about that when I have AC: Odyssey that I want to work more on.  If I can at least get to a point where I can take the ship to Chios (where my dad is from) and not die then that's good for me.  After that I would like to at least rent Spiderman and play that before deciding if I have time to fully commit to it.  My wife on the other hand is beyond ready for KHIII and even FF VII on Switch.

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I watched a streamer play the entire PS4 collection of the KH series last year so I'm all in on at least watching 3 now.

Please don't ask me to explain the story.

ROFL  I've got to find some recaps, because apparently not playing the handheld games that came out after KH II means I'm missing a few important plot points.