DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

wasn’t Sonjay Dutt booking Impact with Callis and someone else? Not like they can’t find someone else to fill his role, but damn, WWE taking 1/3 of their booking team has to be a blow to them in the short term.

EDIT: nevermind, just read that Konnan and (I guess?) Tommy Dreamer are joining the creative team.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

wasn’t Sonjay Dutt booking Impact with Callis and someone else? Not like they can’t find someone else to fill his role, but damn, WWE taking 1/3 of their booking team has to be a blow to them in the short term.

EDIT: nevermind, just read that Konnan and (I guess?) Tommy Dreamer are joining the creative team.

I think Jimmy Jacobs is still on Impact's creative team as well.

With all that the guy has put himself through, I'm all for Abyss making some decent money. I just don't see any matches for him that I would be chomping at the bit to see. (I swear to God if we get another ultimate deletion out of this I will complain very loudly on this message board). Bray Wyatt could use a new friend, I guess?

Why would you (or anyone) complain about another Deletion?

-------

Anyway, the esteemed @Matt D sent me a link to a fancam of Misawa/Kibashi vs Williams and The Big Bossman from 1993 in complete form and damn if Bossman didn't fit right in beautifully. I mean, his outfit stuck out like the sorest thumb ever, but his work was great. They protected his finish with a save, him and Doc broke out an amazing double team Stampede, Traylor moved around the ring like a junior, and he ate some high impact stuff when the time came. Obviously the other three were great as well, with Doc breaking our a nasty Tiger Suplex and an even nastier top rope almost deadlift into a throw, both on poor Kenta. This was good shit, and although I'm really glad we got the Vader/BossAngel feud, I kinda wish he had stuck around All Japan more.

This was also shot at a strange ass angle that made it look like they were wrestling in a slanted ring, so that was fun.

• Like 1

I respect the hell out of both Matt and Jeff for reinventing themselves at a time when damn near anyone else in their spots would just coast on name value and cash indy checks for the rest of their days. Matt obviously deserves more credit for being the architect of the whole deal. They were one of if not the hottest things in wrestling at one point and TNA in large part owes those guys for keeping them afloat. And I can understand why people would enjoy more Broken related hijinks, it's just never been my thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Without going into all the details, Dave is reporting Ronda is likely finishing up with WWE at Mania

I don’t know what’s happened, but if I was AEW, I would go after her hard no matter what. Although if I had to guess it’s either hating the bumps, or wanting to start a family for why she wants to leave.

It’s the later

She frequently said wrestling was temporary and that she wants to start a family ASAP

Basically - folks in the WWE are thinking she is leaving after Mania because that is the natural conclusion on the story arc. So it’s possible they come up with something and she stays through Summerslam or something.

its said that she will be leaving on good terms and if she wanted to return they will gladly have her back

I'm really going to be sad to see her go. She had a great year. She got not only the loudest pop of the house show I saw her on, she got the loudest pop I've ever heard in that particular building except for Hogan. 

Apologies if this has already been discussed in the Japan folder, but apparently NJPW had to completely rearrange their US cards because they had issues getting visas for their guys due to the government shutdown here. I feel bad for the fans who bought tickets thinking they were getting top Japanese stars. That being said, a lot of the comments on NJPWs site and Reddit have been really uncool toward those they were able to have booked. Under any other name these would be good shows I feel like: https://www.njpw1972.com/42933?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Those New Japan cards are terrible. Put Josh Daniels on those cards and they would look like cards Steve Corino would have put together and tried to pass as ZERO ONE cards in America.

Props to Ronda for doing the year she did but her becoming a part-time special attraction like Brock is probably best for everyone long-term. 

So, was watching Superstars last night (the '92 Survivor Series go-home show, which was awesome) and Perfect and Savage pointed out that they never wrestled to that point. Cagematch confirms that. How odd, in hindsight. That absolutely seems perfect for a Saturday Night Main Event but the stars never aligned. Them both wrestling in '89-90 could have been so great. 

edit: in fact, per Cagematch, they only wrestled ONE time singles ever. 

Randy Savage defeats Curt Hennig by DQ (5:00)

WCW Monday NITRO #100 - TV-Show @ Denver Coliseum in Denver, Colorado, USA

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that pretty much fucking sucks. What an odd wrestling anomaly. 

I guess this would be a good discussion point. Not talking about dream matches, but what are some matches that seem inexplicable they never happened?

Figured some folks might be interested in this

Some of the videos have sketchy VQ (more because of background noise) but I figure Gresham and the folks doing it will figure that out as they go along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

I guess this would be a good discussion point. Not talking about dream matches, but what are some matches that seem inexplicable they never happened?

Bret Hart never wrestled Rick Rude or Mick Foley (on television. I think he faced each one once at a house show).

Tully Blanchard vs any Von Erich.

Hiroshi Hase vs Dynamite Kid would have been good. But Kid jumped to AJPW before Hase started in NJPW, and was retired by the time Hase was in AJ. 

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay, I have no problem with him getting a one-off, especially if it's a Rumble appearance. He deserves it. I just meant being a wrestler vs. being an agent really.

I doubt Vince would let him work the Rumble, but I would be amazed if he doesn't work at least one NXT taping at Full Sail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

The Undertaker vs. Eddie Guerrero in a singles match as both were on Smackdown from 2002 till Eddie sadly passed away in November 2005. Both took part in a Fatal Four Way match with JBL and Booker T at Armageddon 2004.