DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

According to the original report, Dean told them flat out he's not interested in negotiating, he's not angling for a better deal, he's just done. Assuming he convinced them that he really won't negotiate, they might as well get out ahead of it and prepare for life without him. Let him put over Nia and call it good.

I mean, it could be a work, but to what purpose? So he can a surprising midcard win at Mania?

I'm not reading too much into the Nia stuff. I figure Dean's facing Hunter and they're rehashing Punk's storyline. 

I mean, Ambrose going rogue on Raw, the barbs at Trips, the HBK overly elaborate selling, staying in the ring following commercial breaking fourth walls, then the news coming out from WWE themselves about Ambrose's contract is masterful trolling/working. We know WWE have ramped up their social media presence and encouraged the talent to use twitter to further feuds and air out their grievances, I figure WWE reporting the news about Dean's contract is an extension of that. It's brilliant. 

55 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Maybe it's a Pillman thing, where they will actually go through with not renewing his contract, thus they are not "working" anybody reporting that he's not re-signing, but with it agreed upon that he will come back to work an angle when he's "unsigned"

And then he doesn’t actually re-sign and goes elsewhere anyway for the full Pillman experience ?

• Like 2

Also if the plan is for Dean to feud with Nia then fans would absolutely revolt against it. Major media publications picking up the story concerning Dean leaving and acknowledging he's pissed off with hokey storylines and shitty creative, only to then go into Mania facing Nia Jax would be spectacularly tone-deaf. Dean has all the leverage here. WWE purposefully shitting on one of their biggest stars on his way out would do a great deal to sour fans on the product going forward, and with AEW on the scene, heads will turn if they did manage to sign Ambrose. 

• Like 2

I think he's seen how Daniel Bryan's gotten so much creative freedom and figured he'd trying and see if he could get the same, he's not at Bryan's level politically but he is one of the more highly valued Raw talents. It's not like he doesn't have valid arguments about the silly shit, especially when you compare to the way he was booked before the first Sheild split. They've used him at times they way they use Midcard comedy acts. And he was already in the doghouse saying Brock Lesnar didnt want to give him shine in his highest profile match at that point , can you blame him?

I can’t decide if I think it’s a work or not. I’d almost gotten excited about him closing “All In 2” by staring down the PAC/Page winner. If it’s a story to get him to triple h, it’s a pretty good one...

18 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Do people really want to see another HHH Mania match? Isn’t he tired of getting mediocre reactions?

I honestly can't say I've ever really wanted to see another HHH match. He's the very definition of mediocre, and lucky as fuck Stephanie fell for him. He should stick to nxt getting loud chants. I love proud nxt Papa H.

19 minutes ago, offspring515 said:

Don’t we always think it’s a work when we hear someone wants to leave? It never is. 

Exactly.  I'm going with the Authors of Pain principle.  The most obvious explanation is usually the right one.  He wants out and he believes he can be better elsewhere.  People who have tried to pull the Pillman angle are so forgotten, you guys still call it the Pillman angle.  An angle from 23 years ago.  That blew up in WCW's face by the way.  At least the Punk angle was "I'm winning the title and I'm leaving."  Dean just wants out.  

Also, I love HHH behind the scenes.  I never want to see him in the ring again.

I am thinking that since ESPN is now involved in the reporting that this wouldn't be a work. If it turns out to be a work I would think ESPN would be leery of working too closely with WWE in the future. 

I do think he could do some really fun things as Moxley in AEW but for the love of God keep him and Jericho away from each other. 

I can't see Ambrose not working anywhere- he's in his prime years and I don't think he's got CM Punk/Sting/Alex Wright/JBL money.

Lot of good possibilities now if you don't want to be in WWE- ROH would probably offer $250k minimum, AEW even more, and NJPW might open the wallet for him hard.  Ambrose G1 run followed by a few months trolling say Naito or Minoru?

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

I am thinking that since ESPN is now involved in the reporting that this wouldn't be a work. If it turns out to be a work I would think ESPN would be leery of working too closely with WWE in the future. 

If it's a work most likely he'll sign on TV. They can work it like when Bret Resigned and challenged Austin in 96 or the Pillman signing months earlier. The Bret announcement was a shoot supposedly but the Pillman signing came off as legit. ESPN wont notice the difference.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That was the moment Sterling James Keenan should have gotten a kick to the fucking balls.

Ouch; I've never seen that video. Poor Michael Cole being stuck between them (how often is it you get to say that? I know he probably gets beat on for a living behind the scenes but you don't get too many opportunities to feel bad about it). 

As far as KENTA goes, I don't blame him. 

• Like 2

Not surprised Itami asked for his release. I was a big fan of his back in the day. I wasn't high on Marufuji, but together they had some great matches during their GHC Jr. tag title run. I thought he was at least going to get the CW title at the Rumble, but that didn't happen. I don't think he signs with AEW though. I actually think he ends up returning to Japan and working for Noah and winning the GHC heavyweight title this time around. It would be cool if he signed with New Japan though.