DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Now to follow that up and tie it back into the Ambrose thing

Dave said he hadn't been able to confirm it himself but since it is coming from the Torch (though the implication was more specifically Wade Keller) he believes it

He said he has asked around and no one is talking about it which is surprising. Dave did said though he has heard the same things as the Torch said in the reason for Ambrose's unhappiness (especially the part about "doing hokey things")

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer injury update

He has to have surgery on hand (this is the fallout from his bike crash last week) Thursday. He can't type for 8 weeks. And more importantly to Dave - he can't train (at least with his hands) for 12 weeks.

There will be WONs every week but they will have a different format.

He said he will do most of the breaking news via the audio shows and is planning on doing more audio shows.

Basically this is a FYI for the folks who are either are subscribers but don't listen to the audio or you wait till folks post it on Reddit or Twitter or something

Just in time for the price increase too (for us print only people).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

He said he has asked around and no one is talking about it which is surprising. Dave did said though he has heard the same things as the Torch said in the reason for Ambrose's unhappiness (especially the part about "doing hokey things")

That’s a complaint Ambrose has expressed in the past. So it sounds believable.

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dave doing his best to keep the US Postal service in business

Way off topic but those SOBs just raised a bunch of their prices yesterday, including stamps which was the highest single increase of all time. So at this point, I'm just so pissed at them I'd be happier if Dave just sent a pigeon to my house

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I would feel bad for Renee if he left. 

One, it would likely alter their lives in a big way. 

Two,she would prob be punished for it. 

This is my fear too. I have no idea what their personal lives are like, but they look like a couple that makes it work and I wonder if part of that is being able to travel together and see each other more than most wrestling couples. I'd hate to see this become the reason for some sort of break between the two.

Career wise, they can both land on their feet. I think out of any of their announcers, they probably fear losing Renee the most. She's expressed interest in the past for doing more professional announcing, possibly ESPN. For Dean, I can see him doing the CM Punk thing and just being done with wrestling altogether because WWE soured him on it so much, but I could also see him going to AEW where he'll have a ton of a creative freedom or just doing indy spots.

They had to be nice to A J Lee, she was the only over wrestler in the women's division at the time.

As far as who is going to be in the Smackdown Women's World title match at Mania, they have a bit of a problem. Nobody's really ready for Asuka.

Is Renee on the road with Dean doing house shows? Considering the main roster usually has about two days at home a week and assuming Renee travels Sunday night and flies out after Raw or early Tuesday, him being off the road probably gives them more time together. Does she even do SD at all?

Now, he’s not retiring I assume but he doesnt seem like a guy that has blown his money and he’s been basically at a main event level for six years. I don’t think he’ll be making towns like Tommy Dreamer. 

Anyway, a lot of dominos to fall but we’re all assuming he’s going to AEW right? 

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Now, he’s not retiring I assume but he doesnt seem like a guy that has blown his money and he’s been basically at a main event level for six years. I don’t think he’ll be making towns like Tommy Dreamer. 

Anyway, a lot of dominos to fall but we’re all assuming he’s going to AEW right? 

Someone pointed out on Twitter that Ambrose a few years ago said on a podcast that when he left the WWE he would do a deathmatch or two and then disappear in the mountains.

So with him - who the hell knows.

4 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Like I mentioned in AEW thread, if he is going to work indies it would be mostly for companies like GCW or CZW against Nick Gage and Joey Janela.  If all of this stuff about "hates hokey shit" is true then wasting time with the Bullet Club will drive him crazy.   No matter how much they overspend on him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Like I mentioned in AEW thread, if he is going to work indies it would be mostly for companies like GCW or CZW against Nick Gage and Joey Janela.  If all of this stuff about "hates hokey shit" is true then wasting time with the Bullet Club will drive him crazy.   No matter how much they overspend on him.

Other people have mentioned this, but if he wants to keep wrestling then the two best options are doing random hole in a wall indies or signing with AEW. He'd get all the creative freedom in the world with AEW.

For some reason there is this thought that AEW is just going to be dumb silly shit because that's what Being the Elite is. That couldn't be further from the truth. Because they do silly skits on BTE doesn't mean that's how AEW is going to be booked. Keep in mind the serious and awesome build up to Cody vs Aldis, look at Penta vs Kenny, look at the whole build to Kenny vs Cody and Kenny and Ibushi getting back together. People can point out the dick druids all they want, but that's not the only thing that was on All In.

Maybe I'm wrong, but when Dean speaks to hokey shit he doesn't like, I think of stuff like saying this town or that town are diseased, I think of him getting a fake vaccine to inoculate himself to the area he's going to, I think of the completely nonsensical booking of his heel turn on the night Roman revealed he had leukemia, I think of the announcers always referring to Dean as being "wacky" or "unhinged". I think of shit like how his rebound clothesline was called shit like the "wacky line." 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

This is my fear too. I have no idea what their personal lives are like, but they look like a couple that makes it work and I wonder if part of that is being able to travel together and see each other more than most wrestling couples. I'd hate to see this become the reason for some sort of break between the two.

Career wise, they can both land on their feet. I think out of any of their announcers, they probably fear losing Renee the most. She's expressed interest in the past for doing more professional announcing, possibly ESPN. For Dean, I can see him doing the CM Punk thing and just being done with wrestling altogether because WWE soured him on it so much, but I could also see him going to AEW where he'll have a ton of a creative freedom or just doing indy spots.

Renee said in some interviews that she’s only there mondays, tuesdays, and special events. If anything, I bet they get more time together now....

• Like 3

If this proves to be true, it feels like it'll be more due to Ambrose being emotionally spent. He spent years wrestling every night. His body finally breaks. Not only does he have to rehab his arm, he then contracts MRSA and nearly dies. He finally recovers and doesn't get five minutes to reflect before going back on the road. And then one of his best friends has to leave because of cancer. Even for the most strong-willed, that's a lot to take. 

Creative issues may be in play, too. But I'd bet more on Ambrose needing a real sabbatical.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

They had to be nice to A J Lee, she was the only over wrestler in the women's division at the time.

As far as who is going to be in the Smackdown Women's World title match at Mania, they have a bit of a problem. Nobody's really ready for Asuka.

Charlotte vs. Asuka is the best way to go. Play up Charlotte ending Asuka's streak. Charlotte wants her belt back. Asuka feels she needs to avenge her loss from last year. I'd keep Charlotte far, far away from Becky/Ronda. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but when Dean speaks to hokey shit he doesn't like, I think of stuff like saying this town or that town are diseased, I think of him getting a fake vaccine to inoculate himself to the area he's going to, I think of the completely nonsensical booking of his heel turn on the night Roman revealed he had leukemia, I think of the announcers always referring to Dean as being "wacky" or "unhinged". I think of shit like how his rebound clothesline was called shit like the "wacky line." 

Having to pretend to get multiple inoculations in your ass while a crazed septuagenarian cackles with delight off camera like he's Uncle Hank in Requiem for a Dream is enough to make any dude quit.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Odd that we haven't heard anything about WWE throwing money and promises at Dean to keep him on board like they did for the Revival. Maybe this break up is mutual.

For what it's worth, PWI reported WWE offered him a five-year-deal, worth over a million per.

Ambrose has worked the most dates in WWE for a long time and he's been near the top of the card the whole time,  if he's saved his money then money probably isn't much of a factor right now.  

On AEW,  I do believe wrestlers will have some creative freedom but like I said in the past,  once they get on a network all bets are off.  Network people have ideas and they like to share those ideas and they like to see those ideas play out on the shows they are spending money on.