DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

if there's one difference between the Deadly Games tournament and anything else Russo did (spoiler: there's lots more than one difference) it's that DG made logical sense. The heel turn made sense. the breadcrumbs paid off. everything built to one moment, and that moment worked. it was masterful booking on every single level. 

everything else has been swerves for the sake of swerves. turns because turns. shooty promos because marks. none of it was built up, none of it made sense, and none of it paid off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

if there's one difference between the Deadly Games tournament and anything else Russo did (spoiler: there's lots more than one difference) it's that DG made logical sense. The heel turn made sense. the breadcrumbs paid off. everything built to one moment, and that moment worked. it was masterful booking on every single level. 

everything else has been swerves for the sake of swerves. turns because turns. shooty promos because marks. none of it was built up, none of it made sense, and none of it paid off.

I don’t think its that cut and dry. His second WCW run in 2000? You’re right on the money. It was pure shit full of all the things you mentioned.

His first run, when it was him and Ferrara, was better. For example, the entire nWo reformation that took place in December of 1999 featured a lot of the same breadcrumbs and foreshadowing that the Deadly Games stuff featured. Although I must concede that there were other things during that first run that were indeed awful. 

The common theme is Ferrara. When Ferrara is involved, who understands scripting out stories in a TV level (He was a TV writer), the shows are normally better. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Honestly fuck Ed Ferrara I can't stand that dude. The Oklahoma thing was classless and was a waste of time for Medusa and the CW title. And those fucking dreads in TNA blegh

Hahaha. He actually did the Oklahoma bit in WWF on Sunday Night Heat and nobody said a word until it happened in WCW. 

You’re not wrong. But I stilll think he’s a talented writer. 

38 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I thought it was 1995.

I'm sure of this. 10-year-old me vividly remembers Million Dollar Man's music hitting and Sheri coming out in a low-cut dress that made me feel some kinda way. 

Plus I could swear Bobby Heenan said or started to say "WOOO SHE'S GOT KNOCKERS" and maybe stopped himself or got talked over? Or I'm making this up because I was super-hormonal at the time, obviously, and heard what I wanted to hear. 

Anyway, I've seen '92 in the past couple years, and that didn't have music, but '93 did. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm sure of this. 10-year-old me vividly remembers Million Dollar Man's music hitting and Sheri coming out in a low-cut dress that made me feel some kinda way. 

Plus I could swear Bobby Heenan said or started to say "WOOO SHE'S GOT KNOCKERS" and maybe stopped himself or got talked over? Or I'm making this up because I was super-hormonal at the time, obviously, and heard what I wanted to hear. 

Anyway, I've seen '92 in the past couple years, and that didn't have music, but '93 did. 

1993 didn't have music, and Ted DiBiase came out with Jimmy Hart. @DreamBroken is right, it's 1996.

@Infinit they did NXT UK tapings at the Rumble Axxess event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

1993 didn't have music, and Ted DiBiase came out with Jimmy Hart. @DreamBroken is right, it's 1996.

Holy shit, then I've mixed the events of two Royal Rumbles together into one. I won't check the tape because I assume you have done so already. 

5 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Holy shit, then I've mixed the events of two Royal Rumbles together into one. I won't check the tape because I assume you have done so already. 

She only managed DiBiase from WrestleMania VII until right after the Rumble in 1992 (right?), so it had to have been the '92 Rumble you're thinking of?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

She only managed DiBiase from WrestleMania VII until right after the Rumble in 1992 (right?), so it had to have been the '92 Rumble you're thinking of?

Yup, that's it.

So, to recount:

I've merged Sheri in the low-cut dress in '92 with the arena and card of '93 (which I had on tape as a kid and which had a good undercard with Steiners/Beverlys and Michaels/Jannetty and if I had thought for two seconds more, I would have remembered that Sheri was part of that whole angle at the show) and then I just stuck the Million Dollar Man's music in there when I saw him come out from behind the curtain in my mind.

THE HUMAN MEMORY, EVERYONE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don’t know why anyone bothers discussing Russo. He’s a one hit wonder from the turn of the century. He’s about as relevant as Three Doors Down. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, and their lead singer is dead. 

Their music sucks, but their singer isn't dead.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

It's okay if you were really thinking about Jimmy Hart in a low-cut dress....

I just thought about it. It's hilarious. I may do it again sometime. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Morganti said:

What was the first rumble to have entrance music announce the incoming participant?

Demolition came out to their music in 1989, which helped in making that the best number 1 & 2 reveal in Rumble history. Number 1 & 2 always came out to their music until they went to it for everyone.