DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Even then, it was very much a faster paced TV show. Raw and Nitro played off of each other and the timing of their programs changed over the years of that rivalry. I feel like some of the early Nitros were a little too deliberate but I'd rather let things breathe and take their time than jam too much in. 

17 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If you watched 83-86 Mid-South, you'd struggle to understand how the same guy was booking 92-93 WCW.  They're night and day.

I guess the argument would probably be that Bill might have not technically the Booker, just the guy in charge approving things. Dundee was certainly booking the 84 (late 83?) Stuff, Ernie before that then Mantell and Gilbert. And WCW? Who can really tell? :)

I'm almost out of likes for the day because there have been some really really great arguments on both sides of this one. Ultimately, a mix of both is something that would suit my personal tastes. A lot of it is the element of unpredictability I guess too and speaking strictly for myself I was much younger then so there is that sort of romanticism involved. But like For example Eddie's point, I loved every second of the Nitro hour 1 lucha matches and shit too but where I disagree is that I feel like the announce team discussing the NWO Sting, Flair etc. during them sort of added to everything. It had like almost the effect of seeming like they were shell shocked from whatever they did in the first segment or at the previous show. I don't know if it helped get them over with the world at large but it worked for young ass me. It's a formula I firmly believe WWE should be using today. Especially with the abundance of great workers they have. You can get an NXT or 205 or New signee over with the live a based on their work alone, get their faces on TV, and still further other things be it an angle or speculating on someone's motivations, character development, etc. It's a good system

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Even then, it was very much a faster paced TV show. Raw and Nitro played off of each other and the timing of their programs changed over the years of that rivalry. I feel like some of the early Nitros were a little too deliberate but I'd rather let things breathe and take their time than jam too much in. 

Disagree. Nitro 99 devoted way more time to wrestling than Raw and didn’t have almost any stories playing out throughout the show apart from the main event. It certainly wasn’t as fast paced as Raw.

• Like 1

If you hate guys fighting for belts, Russo is your man. Besides the fact that every wrestler is going to jump back and forth between face and heel every six weeks, days, or hours; wins, losses and titles are all things rendered meaningless. Nothing beats a guy losing a title despite not getting pinned or submitted, but because his opponent shoved a baseball bat so far up some Howard Stern show freak's ass that his eyeballs popped out. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm almost out of likes for the day because there have been some really really great arguments on both sides of this one. Ultimately, a mix of both is something that would suit my personal tastes. A lot of it is the element of unpredictability I guess too and speaking strictly for myself I was much younger then so there is that sort of romanticism involved. But like For example Eddie's point, I loved every second of the Nitro hour 1 lucha matches and shit too but where I disagree is that I feel like the announce team discussing the NWO Sting, Flair etc. during them sort of added to everything. It had like almost the effect of seeming like they were shell shocked from whatever they did in the first segment or at the previous show. I don't know if it helped get them over with the world at large but it worked for young ass me. It's a formula I firmly believe WWE should be using today. 

I agree very much with this. I used to get so annoyed when people would complain about “how dare you take away from the match by talking about something else?!”

It added to the show. It made the things that were more important feel more important. And it gave things a sense of unpredictability which is so missing today.

I too loved Nitro and appreciated what they offered. But I also appreciated what Raw was doing, for different reasons. 

6 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

If you hate guys fighting for belts, Russo is your man. Besides the fact that every wrestler is going to jump back and forth between face and heel every six weeks, days, or hours; wins, losses and titles are all things rendered meaningless. Nothing beats a guy losing a title despite not getting pinned or submitted, but because his opponent shoved a baseball bat so far up some Howard Stern show freak's ass that his eyeballs popped out. 

Nobody wants Russo’s bad tendencies. But then you have the opposite extreme where everything is “I’m the best and I Want the belt” and they beat you over the head with it for two hours. Shit gets boring. 

• Like 1

Russo's default mode was always the extreme opposite of titles meaning something, guys having fairly consistent character motivations or main event matches being any good because every other finish was the result of a plastic baseball bat whack or balsa wood guitar shot. Meaningless convoluted schizophrenic shitshow isn't much of an alternative to boring.  

• Thanks 1

Something to lighten the mood. HHH needs to bring these back and keep Vince around as long as his voice holds up just to do voiceovers. 

The mock one is pretty good. There's another mock one on youtube, but the voice ruins it. It's like Vince after the massive coke crash.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Russo's default mode was always the extreme opposite of titles meaning something, guys having fairly consistent character motivations or main event matches being any good because every other finish was the result of a plastic baseball bat whack or balsa wood guitar shot. Meaningless convoluted schizophrenic shitshow isn't much of an alternative to boring.  

Some of those instances did exist, sure. But saying it was all like that is patently false. For example, the Rock’s heel turn in the fall of 98 was some of the best writing in wrestling history, period. 

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

But people have different opinions on what quality is.

Thibs favourite ten songs of 2018:

1. One Kiss by Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa
  2. God's Plan by Drake
  3. Shotgun by George Ezra
  4. This Is Me by Greatest Showman OST
  5. These Days by Rudimental feat Jess Glynne and Macklemore
  6. Perfect by Ed Sheeran
  7. Nice for What by Drake
  8. Paradise by George Ezra
  9. No Tears Left to Cry by Ariana Grande
  10. Feel it Still by Portugal the Man

It doesn't matter if he'd never heard some of these songs, or if he's heard them and doesn't like them. Because by his own argument, he's not allowed to have personal opinions on things, he can only like what's popular.

If someone posts "Thibs is a twat" on this board, and it gets enough likes, he has to agree with it and start thinking of himself as a twat. Assuming he doesn't already.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

2. God's Plan by Drake
  6. Perfect by Ed Sheeran

It doesn't matter if he'd never heard some of these songs, or if he's heard them and doesn't like them. Because by his own argument, he's not allowed to have personal opinions on things, he can only like what's popular.

If someone posts "Thibs is a twat" on this board, and it gets enough likes, he has to agree with it and start thinking of himself as a twat. Assuming he doesn't already.

Nah, a twat is someone who makes shit up and pretends other people have said those things. Like you just did. So you’re the twat

Because I never said people can only like what’s popular or that you’re not allowed to have personal opinions on things. Simply said that the only impartial metric of how a TV show is performing is the number of people who are watching.

But feel free to continue to make shit up and be a dick. Or twat. Whatever you prefer. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

2. God's Plan by Drake
  6. Perfect by Ed Sheeran

I like @Thibs, but tht is one funny post.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Something to lighten the mood. HHH needs to bring these back and keep Vince around as long as his voice holds up just to do voiceovers. 

The mock one is pretty good. There's another mock one on youtube, but the voice ruins it. It's like Vince after the massive coke crash.

The Jack Swagger part gave me a laugh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

NXT is a perfect layout if you ask me.. 

This is 100% true for me. Even the post Takeover clip show that also airs a couple dark matches are great. Sometimes you just need to let the big event that just ended breathe a little bit. 

But yeah, from promos, to matches, to backstage segments, NXT is about as good as it gets. Oh, and it's only an hour so it's ultra easy to digest. There's literally no waste on each NXT episode. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Thibs said:

Disagree. Nitro 99 devoted way more time to wrestling than Raw and didn’t have almost any stories playing out throughout the show apart from the main event. It certainly wasn’t as fast paced as Raw.

It doesn't really matter which part of WCW 1999 you're referring to, there were midcard storylines running all year on Nitro.