DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

You know how WWE likes to trumpet Firsts for the women’s division (First Women’s Royal Rumble! First Women’s HIAC! First Women’s TLC! First Womens 3-Way TLC!)?  You know what this Ronda leaving news is a precursor to? First Women’s ScrewJob! Steph tells the timekeeper to ring the bell when Becky puts Ronda in the sharpshooter! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Pretty sure I read in WO that someone was pushing hard for Charlotte to be in a triple threat at WM with Ronda and Becky, while Vince had wanted it to a be a singles match and they finally convinced Vince to do it. So really, we need to blame that guy. Whoever it is...

Yeah - it was a couple of issues ago (basically right after Sasha was named the challenger) (Jan 14, 2019 - Despite Dave forgetting to change the date and it saying Jan 14, 2018)

What Dave wrote then was 

The back story is that as of right now, as noted a few weeks ago, the arguments to get Flair into the WrestleMania Rousey match were accepted by Vince McMahon. The current plan is a three-way for the title with Rousey vs. Flair vs. Becky Lynch. The feeling was also to not compromise that match, that Rousey shouldn’t face Flair at the Rumble. We were also told that while that is the plan right now, it is not locked in stone and there are still two PPVs between Rumble and WrestleMania (Elimination Chamber on 2/17 in Houston and Fast Lane on 3/10 in Cleveland) that Rousey vs. Flair could take place at if McMahon changes his mind.

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I hope Charlotte's in there to make it a three way. Finishes business still open from Survivor Series and TLC, and it'll be better than a Becky singles match. 

Plus Charlotte being in the mix gives Becky fans something to be paranoid about. That's where most of her heat comes from anyway.

It's a win-win-win.

Charlotte was the best worker in the TLC match (convince me otherwise), so I don't mind the Mania match being a triple threat.

• Like 3

Well, that's what the follow up PPV could be for. Meltzer mentioned several times that she may very well stick around for the next PPV after Mania (they don't do Backlash anymore, do they?! Bring back the giant meat hooks!).

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Is it too late to get Batista on there?

What we need is a Batista Fashion Watch segment at Wrestlemania. Mania is what, 9 hours now? There's time for it. Let Big Dave sit in on commentary to judge everyone's gear with giant Olympic judge score cards.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

1. They’re good. Better than most Becky singles matches. 

2. It’d be fine. People don’t think in those terms. 

3. It’s the Mania main. It’ll be plenty convincing. 

Didn't Becky and Charlotte just have a great match at Evolution?  Their singles match was better than the triple threat with Asuka and that's not a knock on Asuka. I'm pretty confident that Becky's singles match with Asuka this weekend will also be great. 

People don't think Ronda's first loss in a triple threat would be weak?  I can guarantee you that's not the case. Even WWE themselves tends to have dominant champions lose in singles matches. Like Brock against Roman. 

It will be a nice win for whoever wins but a singles match is a lot more convincing,  there are no excuses,  there is no possibility of a "I had to face two people!" defense that the losers of triple threats often come out with.  

9 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I'm surprised Bret never got his big win over Ted DiBiase. You had the finish to Survivor Series 90, the double DQ on SNME, a time limit draw on MSG TV, and even the fuck-ending to the 91 Survivor Series, but never Bret going over Ted clean.  

I would have liked to see Bret & Owen vs. Money, Inc. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Didn't Becky and Charlotte just have a great match at Evolution?  Their singles match was better than the triple threat with Asuka and that's not a knock on Asuka. I'm pretty confident that Becky's singles match with Asuka this weekend will also be great. 

Who denied that Becky and Charlotte had a great match? Who would deny the greatness of Asuka? I spoke only to most Becky matches and the level she plays at. She's not as good as the one or two great matches she's been involved in. And triple threat matches are generally unfairly maligned in terms of quality. "Oh, they spent too much time on the floor," cries your average smark wanker. But I'll take the variety offered by three competitors over your average WWE singles heat segment. 

People don't think Ronda's first loss in a triple threat would be weak?  I can guarantee you that's not the case. Even WWE themselves tends to have dominant champions lose in singles matches. Like Brock against Roman. 

You're deferring to what WWE does as a source of authority? That's your business and I won't lower myself to that.

I will grant you that people who spend too much time on the internet will have takes about such booking. But that's not what matters to anybody in the long run. If they follow through with a push, nobody cares. 

It will be a nice win for whoever wins but a singles match is a lot more convincing,  there are no excuses,  there is no possibility of a "I had to face two people!" defense that the losers of triple threats often come out with.  

So you're suggesting that we can have a great Mania moment and an obvious opening for another major PPV match? I don't see the drawback.

I'll leave it there. I shouldn't have taken your "I'll hear your retort" bait. We obviously won't be seeing eye-to-eye. What we value in wrestling is far too different. 

You're probably right on that I do not agree with pretty much anything you said but this idea that all these issues with WWE booking and creative are all internet hive mind bullshit is factual inaccurate. The numbers prove it out.  The only people left watching week to week are the "wankers" like me and oh by the way..  you too.  You aren't on some exempt list, pal. Spending too much time debating this shit is exactly what we are all doing here in the first place.  :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

this idea that all these issues with WWE booking and creative are all internet hive mind bullshit is factual inaccurate.

Take it up with someone who said that. I certainly didn't. I look forward to reading your discussion with someone who did say that. Once you find them. 

Putting aside what I think they should do (Becky/Ronda is so obviously the right answer I don't understand how anyone can argue it) or what I would like to see (Honestly, I think Charlotte vs Becky is the most interesting match) but I'd personally rather see any of the possible one on ones more than a triple threat. Give the odd woman out a big match with Asuka. 

I don't dislike triple threats, but I'm a traditionalist in some ways, and the main event of WrestleMania should be a one on one world title match damnit.

• Like 3

I'd take a one on one victory for whoever wins the belt off Rousey. Simply because I think a first defeat of someone portrayed and perceived as a big star (and special attraction) should be done in a way that creates the new star. It's a chance to show how WWE's women you see on TV every week can compete one on one with a supreme athlete and superstar.

Of course a three way dance would be entertaining and a good match. But I think this is a rare chance of creating the next big thing on the biggest stage. My biggest fear of adding both, Lynch and Flair, would actually be it leading to one beating the other instead of one beating Ronda Rousey. Or Rousey's defeat / being pushed to any kind of limit  explained away by the odd /special circumstances. Or even worse, Ronda coming out on top holding onto a peerless status up until everyone's fed up and the eventual win over here not meaning that much. 

If Rousey gets a Brock Deal, it would be cool for someone to get a decisive win before the whole thing gets reignsed to Death. And yeah, I'd personally prefer Becky Lynch getting the nod over Charlotte Flair.

I still think the decisive one-on-one win is the path they should take, no matter with whom they go, though. The moment is going to be WrestleMania. But maybe WWE will surprise me and be able to elevate both Flair & Lynch in one fell swoop. 

Edited by ReiseReise
I swear I typed while Fowler replied
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't dislike triple threats, but I'm a traditionalist in some ways, and the main event of WrestleMania should be a one on one world title match damnit.

This "traditionalist" talk (not just from you; I see it all around) makes no sense to me. There are so many examples of quality 3-way matches at this point that there's no cause to be averse to them on principle. And this one is merited as the payoff to six+ months of build. 

If we go with Becky-Ronda, what was the point of Survivor Series? Why not just job Charlotte out there if she was destined to be an afterthought? Why bother having Ronda screw two rivals at TLC rather than just Becky?

Ronda v Becky v Charlotte is the right choice. And it's been the right choice since Charlotte and Ronda gave you the main roster MOTY for 2018 at Survivor Series. 

• Like 1

1.) Do you understand what traditionalist means in this context? I'm not even trying to snarky, you basically just said traditionalists should be okay with this thing that is the exact opposite of their position.

2.) Charlotte vs Ronda can be paid off at Fast Lane or whatever. Charlotte is really good, but it's absolutely undeniable that Becky is way the fuck more over than Charlotte.

3.) I liked Charlotte/Ronda a lot, but MOTY? Fuck, Charlotte had two better matches in 2018, and I don't have either of them as the main roster MOTY either.

• Like 2

Oh, I forgot one more thing

4.) There have been a ton of really good triple threats. There has never been one that would make my top 100 matches of all-time, and I don't think there's ever been one that would make my top five for the year it happened.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

1.) Do you understand what traditionalist means in this context? I'm not even trying to snarky, you basically just said traditionalists should be okay with this thing that is the exact opposite of their position.

I understand what self-described "traditionalists" mean when they say things like that. But the entire notion is nonsense. 

2.) Charlotte vs Ronda can be paid off at Fast Lane or whatever. Charlotte is really good, but it's absolutely undeniable that Becky is way the fuck more over than Charlotte.

Beckbeards pitching a fit is why she has a place at Mania. But Charlotte makes the match better than it would be as a singles and makes it a hotter angle.

3.) I liked Charlotte/Ronda a lot, but MOTY? Fuck, Charlotte had two better matches in 2018, and I don't have either of them as the main roster MOTY either.

Well we can't all be as right as me. ;)

4.) There have been a ton of really good triple threats. There has never been one that would make my top 100 matches of all-time, and I don't think there's ever been one that would make my top five for the year it happened.

I've never sat down and plotted out a top 100 of all time. No comment. 

That's what we're doing now? Pretending Becky Lynch isn't that good a worker? Fucking dumb. Some of y'all will defend Seth "boiled chicken" Rollins to the death and then say with a straight face that Becky isn't just as good as Charlotte? Smh. Every once in a while a really bad take will catch fire around here and it baffles me (Dolph Ziggler isn't a good worker, the New Age Outlaws were never any good, et. al.). Becky connects with the audience in a way no one else does and that matters WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than "movez." And she's really quite good in-ring, too. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I don't buy for one second that it would be as good. Triple threats are never as good as singles matches unless they are used to hide someone. None of them need hidden. Nobody has ever been made by winning a triple threat. 

The notion Becky is only over because of Charlotte is absurd. If it has petered our quickly, or if a real backlash against Charlotte had emerged, that argument would hold weight. Neither happened. Becky is the most over act in the company, and her beating Ronda one on one at the biggest show of the year is, by far, their best chance of breaking her out into the mainstream. Adding anyone else in there just muddies things up.

• Like 3