DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ouch. They are gonna sit on them like nobody's business.

I could see Vince respecting them for speaking up and giving them a run with the belts. Isn't it often said Vince respects workers that speak up for themselves more so than those that don't?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, nate said:

I dunno, he did go after that one Canadian dude pretty hard, that one time. 

There's a huge difference between Bret possibly showing up in WCW with the WWF title and The Revival asking for their release. Of course, then there's the question of whether Montreal was a work or shoot. 

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's a huge difference between Bret possibly showing up in WCW with the WWF title and The Revival asking for their release. Of course, then there's the question of whether Montreal was a work or shoot. 

Where do we all sit on that these days? I'm assuming "It was a work to everyone but Bret, who has only really just clued on in the last 10 years" seems to be the favorite?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

True enough.

If that's true about the Revival, then they're not wrong. There was zero point to signing Gallows and Anderson. The tag titles are an afterthought on Raw while on SDL it's always the same shit. Their way of freshening things up was to make Miz and Shane a team. Like someone else said tag teams don't even get promos, not that I'd trust their scripted promos to be good anyway. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Where do we all sit on that these days? I'm assuming "It was a work to everyone but Bret, who has only really just clued on in the last 10 years" seems to be the favorite?

I don't feel like we'll ever truly know given that we're dealing with carnies who would probably give you 10 different answers when asked 10 times.

If it wasn't a work, I don't blame Bret for not wanting to drop the belt to Shawn after all the bullshit Shawn pulled to avoid dropping titles.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

If that's true about the Revival, then they're not wrong. There was zero point to signing Gallows and Anderson. The tag titles are an afterthought on Raw while on SDL it's always the same shit. Their way of freshening things up was to make Miz and Shane a team. Like someone else said tag teams don't even get promos, not that I'd trust their scripted promos to be good anyway. 

The point was too keep them away from everyone else

They could have done a better job of getting ahead of the Bullet Club stuff if they had leaned them/Balor/Styles more. I'm not going to say that would have totally taken the wind out of All In's sails, but they could have probably Laycooled the Bullet Club's Beautiful People at least a little if they had put the effort in.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

They could have done a better job of getting ahead of the Bullet Club stuff if they had leaned them/Balor/Styles more. I'm not going to say that would have totally taken the wind out of All In's sails, but they could have probably Laycooled the Bullet Club's Beautiful People at least a little if they had put the effort in.

The Beautiful People were better than LayCool.

15 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Asides from New Day - when was the last time a tag team got serious screen - mic time?

The Usos got quite a bit of mic time during their bigger runs and still get to talk.

The Revival was destined to take a step back from their NXT heyday, even without the injuries. They're two average-looking guys who come out to a Southern Rock-inspired theme while bragging about how they're good at tag team wrestling.That wasn't going to be enough to get more fans on board. The New Day ride rainbows, throw breakfast food, and play in the band. The Usos are urban cool, wear the newest Jordans, and can out-rap half the folks on Spotify. The Bar are soccer pals who can whoop your ass in a bar fight. Even the B-Team were the banana peel-slipping goofballs who tripped into wins. Nearly every other team has something that gives them a firm identity. The Revival are great at the in-ring stuff, but don't have much in the way in character and being honest, they never have. Booking has been spotty for them, yes, but the road to stardom was always going to rough for them.

We also need to recognize things such as Anderson having a wife and now four kids. He doesn't want to be away from home for weeks at a time. WWE allows him to be with his family three days every week. If needed, he can get on a plane and be with them in a few hours instead of flying across an ocean for a rotation around the sun. AEW can possibly offer a similar lifestyle, we have to wait and see. So while WWE wanted to get G&A under contract, those guys also wanted what was being offered beyond championships and TV time.

• Like 4

I want to live in the World where Bret found out about the Survivor Series 97 screwjob before the match started, and then shot on Shawn in the ring for real. Whether it was a Sting vs Hardy five second clean pin, or if he just stretched him like Stu would. Either way.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The Revival was destined to take a step back from their NXT heyday, even without the injuries. They're two average-looking guys who come out to a Southern Rock-inspired theme while bragging about how they're good at tag team wrestling.That wasn't going to be enough to get more fans on board. The New Day ride rainbows, throw breakfast food, and play in the band. The Usos are urban cool, wear the newest Jordans, and can out-rap half the folks on Spotify. The Bar are soccer pals who can whoop your ass in a bar fight. Even the B-Team were the banana peel-slipping goofballs who tripped into wins. Nearly every other team has something that gives them a firm identity. The Revival are great at the in-ring stuff, but don't have much in the way in character and being honest, they never have. Booking has been spotty for them, yes, but the road to stardom was always going to rough for them.

In addition to all of this, even the Revival's "we're good at tag team wrestling" was exposed by a big fatal flaw the team has on the main roster:

The Revival proved they're great at 20 minute matches, but they can't put on a good 5 minute match. And their old school "we're a serious old-style tag team, No Flips Just Fists" gimmick means they CAN'T do a good 5 minute match, because their wrestling style is far more boring if they're in a 5 minute sprint than if you give them 20 minutes to put on a  clinic in the ring (there are good brawlers who can put on sprinting brawls- but those guys, by and large, are in hardcore matches- and The Revival aren't even hardcore, they're just "good solid brawlers".) 

Why are they having 5 minute Tag matches with other major teams? That makes no sense, unless they are squashes. 

...And they did have good 5-6 minute squash matches in NXT.

No the main fatal flaw is that Vince’s booking style is outdated. We need new(blue) blood, that can utilize everybody’s talents. NXT has shown the capability of the talent there. Hell even No Way Jose looked decent there.

• Like 3

Unless you're a top tag team, 5-8 minutes is all you can expect on either main show. And Vince didn't send them to Raw with a boring gimmick.

No one is denying the Raw tag division stinks, but that doesn't have anything to do with the Revival not having anything in the way of character that will pull in interest.

• Like 1