DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The worst is one of these guys leaves and becomes an Okada, because then you look like TNA.

I feel like Vince could release AJ, Bryan, Rusev, Ceasro, Andrade, Sasha, & Bayley, waive their no competes, and fly them to Cody's doorstep in a private jet, and they'd still have a ways to go before they look like TNA, Dave.

• Like 1

Okada was not a TNA contracted worker anyway. Even if they used him perfectly, someone else is reaping the rewards. Different situation than WWE losing someone and them taking off for another company.

Until Jericho breaks out paystubs, there's no reason to believe that his AEW contract is worth more than anything he made with WWE.

It's funny though, how much of this never happens if they just agreed to put some NXT workers out to sea for a week? :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve said:

I feel like Vince could release AJ, Bryan, Rusev, Ceasro, Andrade, Sasha, & Bayley, waive their no competes, and fly them to Cody's doorstep in a private jet, and they'd still have a ways to go before they look like TNA, Dave.

You might be missing the point? The idea is TNA had Okada for a year or so, he won one televised match, ended his excursion, and almost immediately established himself as a top guy and one of the best workers in the world.

3 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Forever The Revival.

FTFY

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

You might be missing the point? The idea is TNA had Okada for a year or so, he won one televised match, ended his excursion, and almost immediately established himself as a top guy and one of the best workers in the world.

Okada showed none of that potential in NJPW before the excursion.

6 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Lucha House Party forever, The Revival never.

Well I think we know who was booking all of those Lucha House Rules matches.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Okada showed none of that potential in NJPW before the excursion.

Ehhhh... I wouldn't necessarily say that. Of all the young guys during that period, he was the one all the Puro marks were hyping up. Like I thought the Go Shiozaki match before he left was very entertaining. Which is something you can't say about a lot of Go matches. 

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ehhhh... I wouldn't necessarily say that. I thought the Go Shiozaki match before he left was very entertaining(Which is something you can't say about a lot of Go matches).

Not sure I have seen that match since its been so long. I just remember Okada not doing too much before the excursion.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, Eivion said:

Not sure I have seen that match since its been so long. I just remember Okada not doing too much before the excursion.

That match, and the tag match where Sugiura kills him are ones that stick out in my mind.

tumblr_o1l6yiRQso1qcztrfo1_400.gif

But he was also pretty damn impressive in a lot of other undercard tags. It also helped that he was a very handsome, and very tall.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Um. Whoosh?

EDIT: Ok, I hate having to explain it, but I'd rather just make myself clear.

I just meant that TNA has sucked to such a magnitude that it would be almost inconcievable for the WWE to lower themselves to that standard no matter what they did. It was all very tongue in cheek. (I guess I should've used an emoji?) My point had nothing to do with Okada at all.

I'm ready for The Miracle to come on back to Impact. One of few, but I was a huge fan of his 2016 run. Great heel. Thought he was on fire alongside Lashley, Drew, EC3, the Hardys, Edwards, and everyone that was killing it there that year so it's a shame he won't get to tear it up with them in WWE. And have felt he's been the most underrated/underused/wasted dude going for the past 2 years. Great theme was about it for his WWE run. They almost made me watch 205 live by putting him on there but then that barely lasted. Could see him back in ROH or Corgan was a big fan so I think he'd be a step up from Aldis for NWA. Maria was a fun character throughout her time in Impact, but I thought she looked really good in her limited showing at Evolution, like she looked ready for a real run but I guess not. I would love a Mike Bennett/Johnny Impact feud if they do come back.

• Like 2

I have a tendency to root for good guys and Mike Kanellis seems like a good dude. Had an aisle seat to a House Show a year or so ago right around when he was celebrating one of his rehab milestones. As he was stumbling back down the aisle after jobbing, I congratulated him on his accomplishment of being clean and he basically broke character to walk over and shake my hand and thank me. 

I hope he's happy wherever he ends up.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The worst is one of these guys leaves and becomes an Okada, because then you look like TNA. 

Or someone could leave and become a Kenny Omega, because then you look like (checks notes)... Oh...

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Seems like we could get to The Fall of WCW stage where guys are collecting paychecks sitting at home doing nothing. 

If I were Cody, I'd fax Lanny Poffo an AEW contract that Lanny can take to Vince. Greatest rib ever.

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I find it hilarious that Dave thinks anyone at WWE is running around frantic saying "What about OKADA?!?!? We'll look like TNA!!!!!!"

I could buy maybe they are thinking more along the lines of a Hall and Nash situation (maybe) but there's like a zero percent chance Okadas TNA run is on their radar.

Here's a fun story I may have told before: I worked for a company years ago that had a contract with WWE (Im being purposely vague as to not doxx myself). A WWE production staffer said to me outright, thinking I didn't know anything about wrestling "Even though we can't use pyro in (town), were not going to go with the green lasers. Our competition uses them. Well, they're not competition... at all, really, but... We're not going with the lasers." 

I think that probably sums up the level of attention paid to TNA at that time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Seems like we could get to The Fall of WCW stage where guys are collecting paychecks sitting at home doing nothing. 

I was thinking the same.  Lanny Poffo is waiting for that phone call that'll come any minute now.

WWE can double triple everyone’s salary tomorrow and not blink an eye because the lack of competition has artificially kept salaries ridiculously low based on the revenue generated

Then they should start rightfully classifying these guys as employees and give them benefits.  Disgusting carny fucks.

• Like 3

This is something I brought up with a friend, but I don't think its worth a whole thread.  What are some spots that you didn't realize were crazy when they happened, but went back and watched and realized they were insane?  I think #1 for me is Taka Michinoku's Spaceman Plancha.  For someone to run to build up speed, jump high enough to land on the top rope, pause, and then dive to the outside, takes a crazy amount of athleticism, balance, and balls.  It may be the most impressive signature dive in history when you take into account athleticism, difficulty, and danger.