DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Agreed. I watched a lot of weekly PPV early TNA and JJ refusing to drop the title and top spot was terrible along with Russo's garbage WCW worked shoot garbage.

At the time they were pushing for Raven as a top star and the fans were eating it up and then JJ beat him and he got crapped on by the fans even though he was the face.

IIRC there was this one match where JJ basically defeated the entire roster and retained the title on one of those weekly PPV's. Some really overbooked terrible stuff.

I will admit, I forgot about the MMA stuff, but that stuff was so terrible and cringy, it was actually funny.

My guilty pleasure lately has been watching old TNA PPVs circa 2003-2004 on Pluto TV.  They actually tried to get Jarrett over as a face and it was amazing how spectacularly it failed.  One incredible angle they aired last week had some random guy (who I later found out was Joe E Legend) get in an endless brawl with Jarrett.  Jarrett throws him off the bleachers to no reaction, Legend no-sells it and beats him to a bloody pulp (to no reaction.)  Jarrett makes his own comeback and beats up an attacking Vince Russo (to no reaction.)  Finally the two team up and beat the shit out of Jarrett.  And the fans respond with a "Russo" chant.

They tried to get Jeff sympathy by attacking him on a stretcher backstage.  Again, to no reaction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

My guilty pleasure lately has been watching old TNA PPVs circa 2003-2004 on Pluto TV.  They actually tried to get Jarrett over as a face and it was amazing how spectacularly it failed.  One incredible angle they aired last week had some random guy (who I later found out was Joe E Legend) get in an endless brawl with Jarrett.  Jarrett throws him off the bleachers to no reaction, Legend no-sells it and beats him to a bloody pulp (to no reaction.)  Jarrett makes his own comeback and beats up an attacking Vince Russo (to no reaction.)  Finally the two team up and beat the shit out of Jarrett.  And the fans respond with a "Russo" chant.

They tried to get Jeff sympathy by attacking him on a stretcher backstage.  Again, to no reaction.

Ooooh, I’ve been watching that too. It’s surprisingly not horrible. Made me remember how good of a thing they had with the 3LK.

1 minute ago, Edwin said:

Anyone seen those rumors the Revival requested their release?

Well the dude reporting it says he can't say they requested their release but "something" happened at RAW that has officials "concerned" that they are going to leave

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

That's also the problem- it sounds good when it's a word, or even a last name.

When WWE just gives a performer- any performer- one name that's a first name, or even a last name that either could be a first name [for example, "Neville"] or is close enough to a first name [for example, "Cesaro"], it inevitably makes a wrestler sound like they're a stripper.  There's really no nicer way to put it.

Yet they never called Val just "Venis". *sigh*

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ooooh, I’ve been watching that too. It’s surprisingly not horrible. Made me remember how good of a thing they had with the 3LK.

I was watching some of the stuff from 06 last month. Slamboree was this really good ppv, then it ended with Jarrett winning the belt. In a King of a Mountain match. When Earl Hebner and Larry Zybsco both helped him. That's TNA in a nutshell.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

That's also the problem- it sounds good when it's a word, or even a last name.

When WWE just gives a performer- any performer- one name that's a first name, or even a last name that either could be a first name [for example, "Neville"] or is close enough to a first name [for example, "Cesaro"], it inevitably makes a wrestler sound like they're a stripper.  There's really no nicer way to put that. 

You also have/had the trope where the male one-name wrestlers have only a last name and the female one-name wrestlers have only a first name. This was pointed out to me when I was at my college paper writing film reviews years ago as an example of subliminal sexism (for lack of a better term), when last names are seen as strong and first names are seen as more vulnerable/emotional. 

I guess there are now a couple exceptions like Sheamus and maybe Asuka, although they are both foreigners. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You also have/had the trope where the male one-name wrestlers have only a last name and the female one-name wrestlers have only a first name. This was pointed out to me when I was at my college paper writing film reviews years ago as an example of subliminal sexism (for lack of a better term), when last names are seen as strong and first names are seen as more vulnerable/emotional. 

I guess there are now a couple exceptions like Sheamus and maybe Asuka, although they are both foreigners. 

There's also Elias, Big E, Konnor, Viktor, and briefly Apollo, and many of the women are given last names now, so it's at least not as much of a problem as it used to be. 

I half wonder if some of these folks maybe aren't getting paid so great from WWE and know they aren't going to be used much. Then they look to the Indies and see the talent base there is drying up by the day, therefore leaving tons of work to be had there, regardless of opportunity in a AEW or MLW or whatever.

What a crazy time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I half wonder if some of these folks maybe aren't getting paid so great from WWE and know they aren't going to be used much. Then they look to the Indies and see the talent base there is drying up by the day, therefore leaving tons of work to be had there, regardless of opportunity in a AEW or MLW or whatever.

What a crazy time.

When Aries left WWE he said something about making better money and that was awhile ago before they grabbed even more people.

I actually think The Revival would fit the best in RoH long term but if they want to go do their feud/matches with the Bucks over FLIPS and FISTS or show up on Impact I wouldn’t be surprised either way. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

So according to Pro Wrestling Sheet, Maria and Mike Kannellis have requested their release from the WWE.   

All of the sudden i am having TNA nightmares of them on the show 70% of the time  ?

More Maria is never a bad thing. They really should have been in nxt when they returned. The "power of love" gimmick would have gotten over in nxt.

I wish I knew what WWE was paying these dudes.  Jericho said in an interview recently that AEW is paying him the most he has ever made. That's kind of crazy to think about considering he was a near-top guy in WWE for about two decades. He had to be making quite a bit of money off merchandise also.