DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It wasn't MMA Double J, it was Double J Double M A. Almost as funny as when he introduced the two Mexicans as Jose and Hose B.

I never watched TNA religiously but I did turn it on from time to time, so my experience with Jarrett there was limited.  I do remember seeing Jarret doing an in-ring promo with whatever faction he was running at the time and all the smart marks kept chanting "drop the belt!"  Jarrett slyly smirked and let it slide off his shoulder and fall to the mat.  That was fucking great.  The guy gets a pass in my book.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I never watched TNA religiously but I did turn it on from time to time, so my experience with Jarrett there was limited.  I do remember seeing Jarret doing an in-ring promo with whatever faction he was running at the time and all the smart marks kept chanting "drop the belt!"  Jarrett slyly smirked and let it slide off his shoulder and fall to the mat.  That was fucking great.  The guy gets a pass in my book.

If you watched regularly, you wouldn't feel that way. Jeff Jarrett and his stranglehold on the NWA title was as bad as 2003 HHH. It was probably worse since Jarrett created TNA so he could be the top star.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I mentioned that in the podcast thread yesterday, since the sleaze thread had just come up the other day. 

Somebody here should write a screenplay for that shit, and make something out of it. Just change the wrestlers names, and hope they won’t notice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Somebody here should write a screenplay for that shit, and make something out of it. Just change the wrestlers names, and hope they won’t notice.

Several years ago RF Video did a shoot with Raven and The Honky Tonk Man where they spent about an hour reading through various posts in the thread and discussing their merits.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you watched regularly, you wouldn't feel that way. Jeff Jarrett and his stranglehold on the NWA title was as bad as 2003 HHH. It was probably worse since Jarrett created TNA so he could be the top star.

They did not really have many options beyond Jarrett. A lot of the roster was very young and could not really be the face of the company. I think giving the title to AJ Styles in 03 was a mistake. I think the one time he should have dropped it was to Raven in 03. That was the biggest buyrate the weekly PPVs ever got. If they had done a strong finish with Raven winning, would have changed the companies future. 

Once Sting and Kurt Angle arrived, Jarrett was never near the World title again. 

35 minutes ago, Victator said:

Once Sting and Kurt Angle arrived, Jarrett was never near the World title again. 

Him and Sting has a feud over the belt. He did drop it the last time right after Angle came in.

Still, that was almost four years of being on top nearly always. He held the belt for a combined 1,006 days in just shy of four years.

3 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Clearly they are prepping Andrade to be a part of the new League of Nations with Cesaro, Sheamus, and Rusev.

Holy shit can we actually have that please?

I am all for this if it means Rusev is TV Champ again

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Clearly they are prepping Andrade to be a part of the new League of Nations with Cesaro, Sheamus, and Rusev.

Holy shit can we actually have that please?

All those kids in Kenya needed an update to their free League of Nation shirts. 

P.S. I actually wish I bought one of those so I could ironically wear it to a bar today.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

All those kids in Kenya needed an update to their free League of Nation shirts. 

P.S. I actually wish I bought one of those so I could ironically wear it to a bar today.

When you walked in, I hope the bartender told you that you weren't just at a bar, you were at THE BAR. 

Those kids in Kenya also got Y2AJ shirts. Not a bad deal.

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Agreed. I watched a lot of weekly PPV early TNA and JJ refusing to drop the title and top spot was terrible along with Russo's garbage WCW worked shoot garbage.

At the time they were pushing for Raven as a top star and the fans were eating it up and then JJ beat him and he got crapped on by the fans even though he was the face.

IIRC there was this one match where JJ basically defeated the entire roster and retained the title on one of those weekly PPV's. Some really overbooked terrible stuff.

I will admit, I forgot about the MMA stuff, but that stuff was so terrible and cringy, it was actually funny.

16 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Agreed. I watched a lot of weekly PPV early TNA and JJ refusing to drop the title and top spot was terrible along with Russo's garbage WCW worked shoot garbage.

At the time they were pushing for Raven as a top star and the fans were eating it up and then JJ beat him and he got crapped on by the fans even though he was the face.

IIRC there was this one match where JJ basically defeated the entire roster and retained the title on one of those weekly PPV's. Some really overbooked terrible stuff.

I will admit, I forgot about the MMA stuff, but that stuff was so terrible and cringy, it was actually funny.

Jarrett's peak should have been IC/US champion. He was a solid mid-card heel, but definitely not someone that should have ever been been a company's top guy.

• Like 1