DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I think on a national level, I'd like something akin to an NFL commentary, where they delve into the storyline while the match is going, and highlight moves etc to advance such.

I know it's really tough to do that while pushing the SM trends and latest corporate catchphrases, but I'd welcome the change.

Everyone talks about the next Heehsn, but we need a new Gorilla (Which JBL did well, shockingly)

• Like 2

What Gorrila did which say Mama Mia won’t is go up and down as the situation warranted.  He didn’t sell everything like the greatest thing ever.  He could ebb and flow. I know people are in live with the football call, but Gorilla was more baseball to me where it was like watching it with a buddy who kept up on the box scores.

• Like 4

Gorilla will always be my favorite ptp because of childhood and nostalgia.

He was great at the "lead storyteller" thing Vince wanted, but he was actually not great at the actual play by play. His best quality, though, was his easy banter with Jesse and especially Bobby (who is the best, period, I am unshakeable in that view)

Lawler (who frankly sucked) and Ross had good chemistry. The first time around, JBL and Cole worked well together. No team since have had that chemistry.

And I know three man teams are tougher, but WCW had some really fun three man groupings that worked (at least until Bobby stopped giving a shit in late 98)

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
26 minutes ago, Goodear said:

What Gorrila did which say Mama Mia won’t is go up and down as the situation warranted.  He didn’t sell everything like the greatest thing ever.  He could ebb and flow. I know people are in live with the football call, but Gorilla was more baseball to me where it was like watching it with a buddy who kept up on the box scores.

Mauro Ranallo feels to me like he's trying to be a super-positive version of Joey Styles.

As I always mention when commentary comes up, the best team was Solie and Regal on WCW Worldwide International. And honestly, the fact that nobody's even mentioned the Dean of Professional Wrestling announcers before now is a real black mark for the board.

2 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Everyone talks about the next Heehsn, but we need a new Gorilla (Which JBL did well, shockingly)

But that's also the problem as well.

Gorilla is the best example of someone who was GOOD because he was BAD.

Gorilla was not very good at all- he was less like "the guy who kept up with box scores' and more "the biggest homer announcer you've ever heard." Listen to Gorilla, and any babyface- from Hogan down to the random jobber in white boots, could kill a puppy in the middle of the ring and say "that puppy had it coming!"

That's why Gorilla was a terrible announcer...but it also meant he clicked perfectly with guys like Heenan (just like that, but to the heels) and Ventura (who was always willing to call a babyface out when they broke the rules and, in the process, shine a light when Gorilla's being a hypocrite.) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Gorilla will always be my favorite ptp because of childhood and nostalgia.

He was great at the "lead storyteller" thing Vince wanted, but he was actually not great at the actual play by play. His best quality, though, was his easy banter with Jesse and especially Bobby (who is the best, period, I am unshakeable in that view)

Lawler (who frankly sucked) and Ross had good chemistry. The first time around, JBL and Cole worked well together. No team since have had that chemistry.

And I know three man teams are tougher, but WCW had some really fun three man groupings that worked (at least until Bobby stopped giving a shit in late 98)

I felt JR and Heyman in both WCW and WWF was a very good team.  Heyman was fantastic.  JR and Schiavone was another great team.  

• Like 2

Tony, and David Crockett is a surprisingly good team on World Championship Wrestling. Sure David sounds like a spaz at times, but he at least always sounds like he has real enthusiasm for the stuffing instead of potatoes. Although he sounds real turned on during these squash matches. I remember him whispering “He’s breaking his arm, Tony” during a Ron Garvin match.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Infinit said:

The moment I heard Jim Ross with Bob Caudle on NWA Pro, JR became my favorite announcer. And Bob Caudle was pretty damn good in his own right. 

AFAIK the only PPV they ever called was Capital Combat and it made the in-ring action so much better. Caudle was excited for everything

• Like 1

Just because it always gets asked about

Meltzer announced that the WON Awards Ballot will be out in the new issue.

Some new stuff this year

1) Dave is actually asking for help in tabulating the votes. So it should be done in about a month (as opposed to months that it takes Dave)

2) New categories: Wrestler of the Year in the following categories: Women, American, Japanese, Mexican, European and Women MMA (there is still an overall Wrestler of the Year too)

Dave said he has been pestered for years by people to have separate "MVPs for each region" - he seemed to imply the most vocal complainants that a women would never win "wrestler of the year". It also was very much implied he is doing it just to shut them up - though he did acknowledge that it would at least put them in line with the big Japanese wrestling awards

It wasn't MMA Double J, it was Double J Double M A. Almost as funny as when he introduced the two Mexicans as Jose and Hose B.