DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

“Raging Bull” Manny Fernandez is one that comes to mind. Super talented dude, with a bad attitude. Otherwise you either died, or had a horrific injury/disease that cut your career short. Gino Hernandez is another.

I'd say Curt Hennig. Can't miss for the WWF, but picked up the back injury that knocked him out for quite awhile. Bret vs Perfect would have been Dusty vs Flair for the mid 90s otherwise.

When he came back he just wasn't the same.. but that was also WCW. A real shame we never got the blowoff Perfect vs HHH match we were supposed to get.

I think the two biggest "can't miss" that missed is Barry Windham and Lex Luger. Windham should have been a much bigger deal... And I LOVED Barry Windham. 

Luger had the entire Vince machine behind him and he just couldn't make it work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I'm not sure why a company never tried a "Total Divas" reality rope show. The wrestlers are just living there lives and all of the conflict is resolved in a ring. It was be completely different and you don't even need a crowd. 

You mean like... *looks around suspiciously* ...apartment wrestling?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Is Nigel the biggest “cant miss guy” to have never made WWE either main roster or NXT?

Possibly excluding Lucha or Puro guys?

James Storm maybe? 

Excluding Lucha/Puro, it's Magnum TA, maybe? 

This question was easier to answer before Sting finally went over. 

• Like 1

Shortened careers, you're looking at Art Barr. He could have been massive. But there's plenty of guys who looked like can't miss prospects until they arrived in McMahonland, and then missed. Your Goldbergs and Vaders and Essa Rios's (Essa Ri'ii?). Scott Steiner was a main eventer in every company he worked for, except WWE.

Speaking of Scott Steiner, is he the only American who was a wrestler on TV in 1989, and is still a wrestler on TV on 2019? Who can still actually go (a bit) in the ring? Because obviously Liger and Muto are still kicking it a bit. But Scott is the only Westerner that springs to mind.

• Like 1

Honestly, considering the fact that he did wrestle in NWA/WCW and therefore isn't strictly an overseas guy, my other answer besides Magnum would be The Great Muta. Of course, my opinion could be clouded by the fact that when I was seven, I thought that he and Randy Savage were the craziest and baddest dudes walking the earth. 

EDIT: Oh, and Bad News Brown. If you wanted me to pick three wrestlers that I thought would actually win a real-life street fight, I would have said those three without hesitation.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Shortened careers, you're looking at Art Barr. He could have been massive. But there's plenty of guys who looked like can't miss prospects until they arrived in McMahonland, and then missed. Your Goldbergs and Vaders and Essa Rios's (Essa Ri'ii?). Scott Steiner was a main eventer in every company he worked for, except WWE.

Speaking of Scott Steiner, is he the only American who was a wrestler on TV in 1989, and is still a wrestler on TV on 2019? Who can still actually go (a bit) in the ring? Because obviously Liger and Muto are still kicking it a bit. But Scott is the only Westerner that springs to mind.

Dustin Rhodes?

And we'll never know what Marty Jones or Rollerball Rocco could have done in the USA, because they never went. Kendo Nagasaki. Giant Haystacks made it to Stampede and even WCW, but not the land of the giants. Even though he was one

15 minutes ago, AxB said:

Assuming he is not retired after his last injury, theres still Dustin. 

48 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I think the Freebirds have to be considered here, and by default the non-Kerry Von Erichs

The Freebirds were hired by the WWF, worked a few shows and were fired for posting off Andre and being drunk all the time, IIRC.

I *think* it was just one show.

But Hayes has had a non-wrestling job for over 20 years there, and Gordy had another cup of coffee run as The Executioner around 96ish. Did Roberts ever do anything other than that Freebirds failure?

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'd say Curt Hennig. Can't miss for the WWF, but picked up the back injury that knocked him out for quite awhile. Bret vs Perfect would have been Dusty vs Flair for the mid 90s otherwise.

When he came back he just wasn't the same.. but that was also WCW. A real shame we never got the blowoff Perfect vs HHH match we were supposed to get.

I think the two biggest "can't miss" that missed is Barry Windham and Lex Luger. Windham should have been a much bigger deal... And I LOVED Barry Windham. 

Luger had the entire Vince machine behind him and he just couldn't make it work.

Luger was done in by not winning the title at Summerslam. They tried to drag it out and Lex cooled off by December. But he was super over in WCW no matter what.

Barry jumping to the WWF was a mistake. He could have had a good run, but got caught up in the legal troubles his family was having. He went back to WCW and by the time he was nearly back to his 89 peak and was injured. Career wise he never recovered. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Magnum seems like the obvious but asterisked answer.

my earlier suggestion of Dundee still seems like best one to me so far that doesn’t involve someone with a shortened career.

Dundee? Bill Dundee?? "Superstar" Bill Dundee??? You have got to be kidding. If there ever was a Southern-style rassler that verified Mr. McMahon's aversion to Southern rasslin', it is he. And he is tiny short.

- RAF

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I *think* it was just one show.

But Hayes has had a non-issue wrestling job for over 20 years there, and Gordy had another cup of coffee run as The Executioner around 96ish. Did Roberts ever do anything other than that Freebirds failure?

I believe he managed The Samoan Swat Team for awhile.

8 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I’m posting this excerpt from a Shane Taylor interview to hopefully put the Ray Rowe/possible white supremicst to rest. 

DailyDDT: You trained with Ring of Honor Alumni Raymond Rowe. Who we all know from one half of the tag team War Machine, now War Raiders in NXT. What was it like to have him as a trainer, and work alongside Rowe and Hanson?

Taylor: It was incredible! Ray is one of the best men I’ve ever known in my life. Just about any story involving my career, it’s going to have the name Ray Rowe mentioned in it. 

He’s always been a great mentor, teacher, rival, friend, big brother and the lessons I’ve learned from him and continue to learn in and out of the ring, continue to help me grow as a performer, and as a man, his role in my career is invaluable. 

Well, that's good to know that Rowe and Sarah aren't nazi pieces of shit like the Harris Bros.

8 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Could a wrestling show done by HBO, where it's clearly edited in the way any other HBO show is, rather than emphasizing the live action component, and gives the adult themes that you'd expect from a HBO show, and that people fondly recall of the attitude era, but done as safely as possible in that context to avoid unnecessary injuries/concussions/etc work?

Prolongs guys careers, gives the adult themes you can't get from today's wrestling, and makes you feel a bit less guilty demanding blood/bumps/etc when you know that they're not exactly killing themselves to provide it?

It's hard not to say it without a "Settle Down, Hollywood SorceressKnightico" coming to it, but...with the adult themes you'd expect from an HBO show, it'd probably go past the Attitude Era adult themes.

The blood/bumps would be one thing (and it's always going to be a LITTLE risky, since you can't exactly use stuntmen regularly for pro wrestling), and if it's an HBO show, the adult themes people would expect would...well, mean they'd have to go further than just bra and panties.  (PROTIP: That's going to dramatically lower the quality on the talent side, because the amount of good wrestlers, who'd also be willing to do nudity, would be relatively low.)