DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 1/12/2019 at 10:27 PM, Edwin said:

That Nigel documentary is something else.

An absolute must watch.

Watched it again. One of the best wrestling documentaries I've seen along with Wrestling With Shadows, The Rise and Fall of ECW, Bret Hart's first ever WWE DVD, Chris Jericho's first WWE DVD and Daniel Bryan: Road to WrestleMania 30.

EDIT. Nigel McGuinness has provided a link to watch the original documentary he made:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EVA said:

The Nigel doc is depressing as fuck.  The scene where he gets the text from Bryan after winning the WWE title took years off my life.

This. I was a tad surprised the headbutts from Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness at ROH Unified 2006 made it. It was something when Daniel Bryan on camera said he was dishonest in his 2009 WWE medicals. McGuinness was unfortunate with things: telling the truth in his medical tests for WWE, the Hepatitis B and getting cut by TNA.  More ROH and TNA footage than usual, they get a plug at the end. Shame it didn't workout for Nigel as a wrestler for WWE but glad he's now a part of the company as a commentator. That's a positive.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Is Nigel the biggest “cant miss guy” to have never made WWE either main roster or NXT?

Possibly excluding Lucha or Puro guys?

James Storm maybe? 

James Storm did have one match in nxt. I think Billy Gunn got him in and he left when Billy did. Impact offered far more money for obviously less work, so he went back to Impact.

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

James Storm did have one match in nxt. I think Billy Gunn got him in and he left when Billy did. Impact offered far more money for obviously less work, so he went back to Impact.

If we count one NXT match then we need to include stupid Davey Richards.

stupid Davey Richards

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lashley is fascinating in that he has the most easy-to-use built-in story in that he was a potential Olympic wrestler who injured his knee avoiding gunfire during a bank robbery while he was in line that ruined his chance at being in the Olympics.   Then you just use said story as a face who wants to be the best but has had fate conspire against him to keep him from the top or as a heel who feels so slighted that he is going to destroy everyone in his path to sate his rage.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Is Nigel the biggest “cant miss guy” to have never made WWE either main roster or NXT?

James Storm maybe? 

How far back do you want to go? Did Brody or Abdullah ever work for the McMahons?

But either way this question is in a too soon to say state right now. We won't know how big the Young Bucks are going to end up having been, assuming they never go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

How far back do you want to go? Did Brody or Abdullah ever work for the McMahons?

But either way this question is in a too soon to say state right now. We won't know how big the Young Bucks are going to end up having been, assuming they never go.

Bruno defended the WWWF title against Brody in the mid 70s. 76 I think?

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

James Storm maybe? 

“Raging Bull” Manny Fernandez is one that comes to mind. Super talented dude, with a bad attitude. Otherwise you either died, or had a horrific injury/disease that cut your career short. Gino Hernandez is another.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AxB said:

When you consider that "the WWWF had Madison Square Garden, and any big name in the territories probably worked at least one MSG match", even that doesn't work.

Personally, though, I'd still say the cutoff line I'd use for this would be 1989 as "the first full year of WCW's existence" for who the big can't miss prospects to never work for WWE were...and even then, considering most of the biggest name WCW superstars ended up working for WWE anyway, you can make a strong case the cutoff line being 2001 (when WWE was basically a monopoly) is the better cutoff.

True. And then there's Penta and Fenix who are pretty big names in the USA already, have never been to WWE and probably aren't going any time soon.

But like I said, right now is the first time in a generation that the correct answer to the question "What will Wrestling be like in five years?"  is "I don't know." Since 2001, the answer had always been "Exactly the same as it is now". 

• Like 5

I’m posting this excerpt from a Shane Taylor interview to hopefully put the Ray Rowe/possible white supremicst to rest. 

DailyDDT: You trained with Ring of Honor Alumni Raymond Rowe. Who we all know from one half of the tag team War Machine, now War Raiders in NXT. What was it like to have him as a trainer, and work alongside Rowe and Hanson?

Taylor: It was incredible! Ray is one of the best men I’ve ever known in my life. Just about any story involving my career, it’s going to have the name Ray Rowe mentioned in it. 

He’s always been a great mentor, teacher, rival, friend, big brother and the lessons I’ve learned from him and continue to learn in and out of the ring, continue to help me grow as a performer, and as a man, his role in my career is invaluable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Could a wrestling show done by HBO, where it's clearly edited in the way any other HBO show is, rather than emphasizing the live action component, and gives the adult themes that you'd expect from a HBO show, and that people fondly recall of the attitude era, but done as safely as possible in that context to avoid unnecessary injuries/concussions/etc work?

Prolongs guys careers, gives the adult themes you can't get from today's wrestling, and makes you feel a bit less guilty demanding blood/bumps/etc when you know that they're not exactly killing themselves to provide it?

38 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Could a wrestling show done by HBO, where it's clearly edited in the way any other HBO show is, rather than emphasizing the live action component, and gives the adult themes that you'd expect from a HBO show, and that people fondly recall of the attitude era, but done as safely as possible in that context to avoid unnecessary injuries/concussions/etc work?

Prolongs guys careers, gives the adult themes you can't get from today's wrestling, and makes you feel a bit less guilty demanding blood/bumps/etc when you know that they're not exactly killing themselves to provide it?

I think it could. We already see an adult themed like GLOW work on Netflix. But an even darker comedic HBO take on say the eight year history of ECW would be amazing.

edit: Oh wait you mean something like a legit HBO wrestling show. If this was the days of Spicy City, then maybe. I don’t know if they would do something like that now.

I hadn't considered that, that would definitely work also.

I was thinking more along the lines of an actual promotion, broadcast in the same way Oz/Breaking Bad/The Wire is portrayed. The face/heel alignment is generally based on from whose perspective the shot is filmed from, it isn't broadcast as a spectator sport so much as a drama that just happens to lead to in-ring stuff. 

I've always felt an HBO dramatic series with wrestling as a backdrop shouldn't show any in-ring action.  The closest it would get to the ring is wrestlers going through the curtain to the ring and them coming back thru after the match.  All stories would be focused on backstage political/personal issues.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I hadn't considered that, that would definitely work also.

I was thinking more along the lines of an actual promotion, broadcast in the same way Oz/Breaking Bad/The Wire is portrayed. The face/heel alignment is generally based on from whose perspective the shot is filmed from, it isn't broadcast as a spectator sport so much as a drama that just happens to lead to in-ring stuff. 

If HBO is still willing to experiment, then I could see them giving it a shot. The thing with that style of wrestling show is that they have such a short shelf life. Lucha Underground was super lucky that they’re parent company loved the concept, and gave them plenty of chances. It just was never a ratings getter, or money maker, and like a lot of scripted shows viewers gave up on it fast when the formula got tired. I sort of dig it for the cheese, but how long am I going to watch what was essentially a B-Movie/TV show. Unless you find wrestlers who can legit act, I’ll take the fake sports presentation every day of the week over that.

I'm not sure why a company never tried a "Total Divas" reality rope show. The wrestlers are just living there lives and all of the conflict is resolved in a ring. It was be completely different and you don't even need a crowd. You could build to big arena events.