DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Vikings did make it to North America (Columbus was a hype job), but they didn't in any way colonize it. The Native Americans aren't descended from Vikings. Bit of a giveaway there. Nazis just like Norse mythology because, well, Jesus was from Nazareth, which is in the Holy Land, so Christianity is middle eastern. And most of the pre-Christian White boy religions we know about are Southern European, Greek and Roman and that. And being as that Walken/Hopper scene in True Romance was historically accurate, your actual white supremacist isn't about to praise Zeus. And British Paganism has already been co-opted by Hippies, so they can't have that. So Norse is the only thing left. But it's bullshit to suggest that Vikings lived in an all-white world when there's archeological evidence of Viking burials in Norway and Sweden with Turkish grave goods in them. Much as they didn't stop at the British isles going West, but struck on to Iceland, Greenland and Canada, they didn't stop at Russia when they went South-east.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like Rowe and Sarah quite a bit on TV and would like to think that they're wonderfully awesome people IRL.  I never knew about that part of the Viking/Norse history and the crossover that has with white supremacists.  I'm not necessarily surprised but have never looked that up.   I would like think they just want to be super-badass people and are into Viking metal.  So with that unless proven wrong I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

This is pretty much the same for me. I haven;t really looked up anythign about Vikings and Norse mythology since I was a kid (Latin kind of made me focus on Greek/Roman) so I was unfamiliar with the connections.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

How did I forget?

XkQClY3.gif

FUCKIN HELL, that is uncomfortable to watch.  I don't watch religiously, just when it's convenient or feel like it (no cable, so if I'm staying out if town in a hotel on a Monday, and I may randomly watch a Hulu 90min show on a whim), so am I ever glad I missed that shit.  I don't know the context, and I'm ok with that because it's probably something stupid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nate said:

FUCKIN HELL, that is uncomfortable to watch.  I don't watch religiously, just when it's convenient or feel like it (no cable, so if I'm staying out if town in a hotel on a Monday, and I may randomly watch a Hulu 90min show on a whim), so am I ever glad I missed that shit.  I don't know the context, and I'm ok with that because it's probably something stupid.

I beg to differ.

ziusfyx06k1z.gif

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I am overly sensitive to stuff like this, but then there are a number of famous wrestling Supremacists, and people (like in this thread) might not be aware of the connection.  Better safe than sorry.

If it was most other places I'd be wary of it because you never know what shit will be said.  But long story short I appreciate this type of discussion here.  We're mostly civil about it and it's very fascinating to learn about.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I beg to differ.

ziusfyx06k1z.gif

Rusev and Summer were awesome in that angle. Dolph and Lana were... considerably less than awesome. 

Summer may be one of the biggest misses from NXT, obviously not in the ring so much, but she could sell an angle.

• Like 3

On January 9, 2019 at 4:50 PM, ChesterCopperpot said:

Should be good

Really looking forward to this. Having seen Nigel since his early days in the HWA and watching his Last of McGuinness doc and I always felt sad that he didn't quite get his dreams fulfilled of making it to the WWE as an in ring performer. He seems to be in a really good place right now and couldn't be happier for him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, quackhell said:

Really looking forward to this. Having seen Nigel since his early days in the HWA and watching his Last of McGuinness doc and I always felt sad that he didn't quite get his dreams fulfilled of making it to the WWE as an in ring performer. He seems to be in a really good place right now and couldn't be happier for him.

At least we got that brief push with Desmond Wolfe, before TNA’s producers decided to end it for no reason after he won a fan vote for a title shot.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

At least we got that brief push with Desmond Wolfe, before TNA’s producers decided to end it for no reason after he won a fan vote for a title shot.

Well, admittedly, the fans kinda fucked that up; he won the fan vote, got his title shot, then the fans loaded the ballot box for him a second time in a row.  Given this was during the reign of Dixie "Next time I hear a 'Fire Russo' chant, I'll fire someone else" Carter, they scrubbed the fan voting system entirely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

Well, admittedly, the fans kinda fucked that up; he won the fan vote, got his title shot, then the fans loaded the ballot box for him a second time in a row.  Given this was during the reign of Dixie "Next time I hear a 'Fire Russo' chant, I'll fire someone else" Carter, they scrubbed the fan voting system entirely.

No. Hogan/ Bischoff era. The fan vote was their idea. Wolfe won the first week but they gave someone else the title shot instead. Then he won again and they put him in the match but jobbed him out quick. Then he won again because the fans wanted a proper title match, so they dropped the idea.

• Thanks 1