DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 1/2/2019 at 7:26 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It also has an MST3K channel that I believe has under 20 episodes in rotation. Also Pluto TV is just a fucking weird thing. I don’t know whether I like it or not. It currently works well as a thing to put on in the background, but to actually sit down, and watch is a chore due to the awkwardly placed ad breaks, as well as the same 6 ads being run. Like I don’t know how much more I can take of these commercials for that Catherine Zeta-Jones tv show on Facebook Watch without slamming my head against a wall.

I just downloaded the Pluto app on my phone. I wish it worked on my Amazon Fire tablet. Free wrestling, MST3K, Rifftrax; I like it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Internet Police, I'd like to report a murder:

(It started with Bayley saying Happy New Year, Graves being a fucking creep and saying he can't wait for their romance angle, a fan saying he should go for Becky, and Graves stupidly walking into the bear trap.)

Just to clarify, he said he can't wait for their "romance" angle jokingly in reference to a rumor going around 2 years ago that they were going to book a Graves/Bayley romance angle that never happened.

Even when he was in complete shtick mode at NXT he was still pervy in the Eva Marie angle.    Not as bad as he is Mandy Rose now but it was there.    Corey is going to become just like every other guy and girl in WWE broadcasting in that they are so over the top and fake in their character that nobody will believe him when he is trying to be serious.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Thinking a lot of this is in reference to Toni Storm taking down all her social media after she had a nude video clip hacked and posted online yesterday, leading to all kinds of crass and ignorant remarks to her.

I wasn’t quite sure where to post this but I have been in search of the RPG book, WWF Basic Adventure Game that was released in the early 90s. I used to play this all the time as a kid and now that I have three boys into wrestling, I wanted to introduce them to this game.

If anyone knows where to look or if anyone has a copy and would be interested in selling it, please let me know.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

31 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Thanks for finding that. $174 is a little steep, obviously it’s a rare book now. I should’ve kept my copy. 

Hitting a couple of different points here

RE: Alexa's post - it is definitely about Toni Storm. For those who aren't aware (And I really think you only would be if you are on Twitter) - Storm was the latest to have her privacy invaded by hackers. I didn't see her post about it but apparently she took it really really hard and deleted all her social media. Alexa hasn't been the only one posting her support to her. (Like Io Shirai just to name one also had a post supporting her).

RE: Kimber Lee

She asked for her release because the WWE wasn't really using her in NXT (like she wasn't doing anything beyond the Florida loop)

RE: Zeda

They didn't think she was very good and they were making room for new signings

• Like 1

Mea culpa. 

I also found a Soupy Sales show bit where he's watching wrestling with his "dog" and then it cuts to a fake promo, but I was annoyed enough that I couldn't identify what he was watching that I gave up. Mainly you get wrestlers singing "My Way."

Read into this what you will

WWE video titled "5 Superstars who will be champions in 2019"

• 1) Drew McIntyre
  • 2) The Miz (specifically saying World Champ)
  • 3) Ember Moon (spending a lot of time focusing on how over she was at Evolution)
  • 4) Sanity
  • 5) Mandy Rose

Regarding that last one - that would play into recent stuff from Meltzer who says Vince is in love with Rose. Though I think it will probably be more a backdoor type of title in winning the Women's Tag

On 1/3/2019 at 4:06 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Internet Police, I'd like to report a murder:

(It started with Bayley saying Happy New Year, Graves being a fucking creep and saying he can't wait for their romance angle, a fan saying he should go for Becky, and Graves stupidly walking into the bear trap.)

Fatality:

• Haha 6

Indiewire asked 52 directors to name their top movies/TV of the year - https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/directors-best-movies-tv-2018-guillermo-del-toro-edgar-wright-pedro-almodovar-1202030788/

Robert Greene, who I'm not familiar with but I'm aware of his documentary Kate plays Christine, is obviously a wrestling fan.

His top 10:

1. Johnny Gargano/Tommaso Ciampa feud, NXT: The greatest piece of storytelling in the last several decades.

2. “Hale County This Morning, This Evening”: Director RaMell Ross and his collaborators work to find new ways of seeing.

3. Robert Mueller Indictments: A severe dose of documentary reality in the fictional universe we inhabit.

4. “Thank U, Next”: Remember when that fucking priest touched Ariana?

5. “Of Fathers and Sons”: Slippery, tricky, essential filmmaking.

6. The Rise of Becky Lynch, WWE: Casual wrestling fans: did you know that the new “man” in wrestling is a woman?

7. Wyatt Wu’s “Nai Nai” / Erick Stoll & Chase Whiteside’s “America”: Two films (one by my student Wyatt from the Murray Center at Mizzou) about aging and deep familial love. A gorgeous, heartbreaking double feature if anyone wants to have a great screening in 2019.

8. “Shirkers”: Director Sandi Tan made the great Zine Movie of my dreams.

9. Bing Liu after any “Minding the Gap” screening: The movie is great but the director who made it is an especially graceful, charming, amazing fella. Fun to root for him.

10. Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega – IWGP Heavyweight Championship – Dominion 6.9 In Osaka-Jo Hall: The best movie of the year.