DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2019 & BEYOND)

RIPPA

Amazon announced that it is working on a free to play Lord of the Rings MMO that will be on PC and console

And that was the extent of the details provided

To go along with what Rippa posted I'm amused by the Switch Lite announcement and how much people are bitching about it.  Especially when it seems it's mostly those who already have a Switch.  But while it's clearly not for everybody there are those would find it useful.  We'll likely get it because I'm tired of asking to play the system when my wife is knee-deep in BotW or some other game.  Same is true in reverse.  So this should come in handy.  Plus the Pokemon one while potentially hard to come by looks pretty neat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Amazon announced that it is working on a free to play Lord of the Rings MMO that will be on PC and console

And that was the extent of the details provided

I haven't seen if this is supposed to be the same new MMO that was announced last year or not.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This was actually a full page ad in one of the recent Fangorias (as in the relaunch that started this year where I warned everyone to subscribe and they didn't and now people are paying $50 an issue).  Friday the 13th is a fun game.  Yeah I'm probably a bit biased but it's a lot of fun even playing bots, but absolutely getting destroyed on multiplayer is also pretty fun.  

FYI the bots are always councilors and you're always Jason.  The only way to play as the councilors is online multiplayer.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1

RE: the LOTR thing - this was everything the Entertainment Weekly story had

With a live-action Lord of the Rings TV series in the works at Amazon, it was only a matter of time before the videogame space again tackled the realm of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth. Today makes it official.

Amazon Game Studios revealed the development of the next big Lord of the Rings videogame, described as “a free-to-play massively multiplayer online” release for PC and consoles.

There are few specifics available at this time, but we know the game will be set in Middle-earth and “give fans around the globe a new, immersive game experience for epic exploration of the vast world of Tolkien.” It won’t, however, be directly connected to Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings TV series, which is set during the Second Age, thousands of years before the events of Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring.

A release date has not been set.

Numerous Middle-earth videogames predate this new one, including Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, and console games based on Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. Earlier this year, Daedalic Entertainment announced development on its own game, The Lord of the Rings: Gollum.

This next LOTR game represents a collaboration between Amazon’s game technology and MMO developers with Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited (the game developer/publisher behind Warframe) and Middle-earth Enterprises (which licenses entertainment based on The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit).

“We believe our combined resources and expertise will result in a beautiful and compelling game that customers will love and play for years to come,” Leyou CEO Alex Xu said in a statement.

“We’re committed to bringing customers games of the highest quality, both with our own original IP as well as beloved cultural pillars like The Lord of the Rings,” added Christoph Hartmann, vice president of Amazon Game Studios. “Tolkien’s Middle-earth is one of the richest fictional worlds in history, and it gives our team of experienced MMO developers — from the same studio developing New World — tremendous opportunity to play and create. We have a strong leadership team in place to helm this new project, and we’re actively growing our team to help build this incredible experience.”

I am assuming The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar is what Raziel was talking about

Ugh, I'm going to end up having Friday the 13th on every console and pc. I only really played it much on ps4, which I got from the Kickstarter. Cannot wait to see what they learned from this game in Predator. One of my most anticipated games. 

There's a mic input for the switch, right? I've only played mp a bit with Splatoon and Mario Kart/tennis with randoms. F13 without a mic is awful. Councillors need to coordinate supplies if they stand a chance of escaping. 

Edited by Oyaji

It really is one of the best worst games I've ever played. Technically it was a mess from the get go but once they patched the shit out of it and got the servers to the point you could actually play the game it was so much fun. I am okay playing as Jason but I don't really love it. Gimme the thrill of fleeing any day. Councillors fucking with an inept Jason is just about the funniest yet saddest thing you'll see in a video game. 

On 7/11/2019 at 9:18 AM, Raziel said:

Isn't there already a FTP Lord of the Rings MMO?

There is, it's about 12 years old now and still chugging along. They've been updating the graphics over the last couple of years, but the age shows here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

So Sony ran a press conference for a game convention in China featuring a bunch of games being announced and shown off, and here's the one I thought was the most impressive by a fair distance. It's called ANNO Mutationem, and even if you're turned off by seeing pixel art in the picture there, I'd still ask that you give it a look because it's doing some crazy new millenium Strider 2 shit.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare's multiplayer reveal

The big news is that it is crossplay and there is no season pass

BTW - this might sound silly - but that video might be a trigger if you have any sort of PTSD (especially if you served). Might seem obvious due to the nature of the game but I rather say it than just drop the video into the wild.

Now with that being said - I don't play these games but I would totally play a game where Enter Sandman plays the entire time

More about Pokemon Sword and Shield

I enjoy that my about to be High Schooler is at the stage where he wants to know nothing about the game(s) so he can go in completely unspoiled (Though weird to me that this is the game he chooses to do that for)