DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2019 & BEYOND)

RIPPA

One of the things that got me on board with Stadia was how nicely Playstation Now runs for me.  I was legit shocked that Google had screwed up a technology Sony has made work for five years now, until I remembered that PSNow only streams at 720p while Google's trying to run 4k.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

so, uh, a new Half Life game is coming out.

But it's VR.

And not Half Life 3/Half Life 2, Part 3.

And the main character is likely Alyx.

Valve can GTFO with that. It's either Half Life 3 or it's nothing. People have been asking for HL3 for over a decade and this feels like Valve is trolling rather than doing something people want. I don't want a tech demo for VR with a secondary character. If Alyx is going to get her own game, it better be good.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 4:57 PM, JLSigman said:

Never played the Lightning dress-up game.

Neither will I!

The Yakuza series is finally coming to Xbox One.
Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1, and Yakuza Kiwami 2 are all coming to Xbox One, and will be available on Game Pass in “early 2020.”

I'm happy we're getting a couple of the Kazuma Kiyiu games.  I don't particularly care for the new protagonist and the shit set in the Edo period is just plain weird.

Edited by J.T.

The Shenmue review embargo got moved up and the early word is that the game is a gorgeous-looking, brilliantly sountracked game of weird voice acting choices, hypnotically simple minigames, uncanny-valley facial animations, and a fighting tutorial that is literally "just hit buttons". Supposedly it feels like it came out in the middle-00's. In a word - it's Shenmue. More than that, it's Shenmue As Fuck. Early user reviews on Metacritic are way more positive than I expected. And even though the final tally on it's review scores will never crack the 80s, everybody says that if you enjoyed the originals it's absolutely captivating. And if you didn't, y'know, avoid it like the plague.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2019 at 1:31 AM, Cliff Hanger said:

One of the things that got me on board with Stadia was how nicely Playstation Now runs for me.  I was legit shocked that Google had screwed up a technology Sony has made work for five years now, until I remembered that PSNow only streams at 720p while Google's trying to run 4k.

From video reviews I've seen, Stadia works pretty well, but that's not the problem with Stadia right now.

The problem is the absolute shit show that has been this entire launch. I pre-ordered this fucking thing as soon as it was announced and the launch date was yesterday. For whatever reason, I was scheduled to get the device today or tomorrow or Friday. Fine, whatever, at least let me lock in my username. Keep in mind that when this was all announced we were told that if you got the Founder's Edition then you could lock in your username and you'd get the device on the 19th. Then Google did an AMA a few days ago where they said no matter what you'd still be able to register and lock in your username on the 19th.

Well the 19th came and went and there are people who received the Founder's Edition bundle, but never got an email with their registration code so they're just left in limbo. There are people who were supposed to get their device yesterday and received nothing, but got the registration email. There are people who experienced no issues (this is the minority from the sounds of it). And then there's my group where my order is in fucking limbo. I kept checking to see when this all would be shipped and there's still no shipping confirmation and no registration email, but my credit card was charged. This is the same for a bunch of others who had their card charged, but their order is "stuck" in processing and so nothing has been shipped or emailed.

It's all a fucking mess and something that is pretty inexcusable considering that it's Google and this isn't even the first pre-order for hardware they've done. I'm tempted to just cancel, but my card has already been charged and I don't know how much of a hassle it's going to be to cancel my order. I already talked to Google support this morning and they're supposed to call me back.

So yeah, the launch is just awful, but the service, if you actually get to use it, sounds great.

• Sad 1

My god. I fell from one bucket to another. So Google support fixed the processing error on their end and shipped out my bundle today and I'll get it tomorrow. 

So now I'm with the camp that had their stuff shipped out, but they didn't get an email with their invite code and when I talked to Google support, they didn't know what I was talking about.

On 11/19/2019 at 3:12 AM, Casey said:

so, uh, a new Half Life game is coming out.

But it's VR.

And not Half Life 3/Half Life 2, Part 3.

And the main character is likely Alyx.

The biggest troll move would be for you to play as Alyx and for the end of the game to be the same as the end of Episode 2

• Haha 2

The entire appeal of the Half-Life 3 meme was the idea people wanted more narrative driven shooters in a time that was far less common. I have no idea why people think it's going to matter in 2019.

The Valve game people should actually want is Portal 3. It would also be the vastly superior VR title for the 2% of gamers that matters for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The entire appeal of the Half-Life 3 meme was the idea people wanted more narrative driven shooters in a time that was far less common. I have no idea why people think it's going to matter in 2019.

I think people want a conclusion to the story, or maybe that's just me personally.

This game looks fucking gorgeous, though. But I'm not going to buy a Facebook product like the Oculus to play it.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:39 AM, Death From Above said:

The Valve game people should actually want is Portal 3. It would also be the vastly superior VR title for the 2% of gamers that matters for.

Portal 3 in VR would be entirely better than what we saw in the trailer for Half Life: Alyx. I personally can't stand hands only on screen in VR.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 3:50 PM, Raziel said:

It had to happen considering RE3 pretty much used the same setting as RE2. Must've been developed hand in hand with the RE2 remake

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 5:05 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

The Shenmue review embargo got moved up and the early word is that the game is a gorgeous-looking, brilliantly sountracked game of weird voice acting choices, hypnotically simple minigames, uncanny-valley facial animations, and a fighting tutorial that is literally "just hit buttons". Supposedly it feels like it came out in the middle-00's. In a word - it's Shenmue. More than that, it's Shenmue As Fuck. Early user reviews on Metacritic are way more positive than I expected. And even though the final tally on it's review scores will never crack the 80s, everybody says that if you enjoyed the originals it's absolutely captivating. And if you didn't, y'know, avoid it like the plague.

Jesus, so I am going to have to keep track of shit like weather and eating, going to the gym to train or practice new techniques, and getting proper rest on a regular schedule?  Fuck...

My OCD will love this game and I will hate my OCD for loving it.

I will fall into the trap of scouring the entire city to find Yu just the right leather jacket to wear in the cutscenes where he's beating the living shit out of some bōsōzoku thugs.

Edited by J.T.

On 11/21/2019 at 5:47 PM, Casey said:

I think people want a conclusion to the story, or maybe that's just me personally.

Seriously, there are people still out there that are looking for closure with Half-Life.

And I thought I held onto shit for an obscene amount of time

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Seriously, there are people still out there that are looking for closure with Half-Life.

And I thought I held onto shit for an obscene amount of time

Eh, I have a sentimental connection to Half-Life. When I was like, 9 or 10, my Dad would play it on the desktop a few nights a week if he wasn't tired from work and I would watch him play it (other games I remember him playing were shit like Myst and Phantasmagoria). He bought the sequel when it came out, and I played it after he did a few months later, but I didn't play Episodes 1 & 2 until the Orange Box on the 360.

Half-Life 2 was as close to a flawless game as anyone has ever played and the debacle that followed pretty much put me into the mindset that Valve was never going to get serious about HL3 and closing the circle.

I think the reason I never got into any of the Portal games was out of resentment for how Valve handled (didn't handle) HL3.  Every year, HL3 people assumed that the latest Portal game would be a tech demo for a future HL game and the HL game never came.

Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington can kiss my ass.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Half-Life 2 was as close to a flawless game as anyone has ever played and the debacle that followed pretty much put me into the mindset that Valve was never going to get serious about HL3 and closing the circle.

I think the reason I never got into any of the Portal games was out of resentment for how Valve handled (didn't handle) HL3.  Every year, HL3 people assumed that the latest Portal game would be a tech demo for a future HL game and the HL game never came.

Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington can kiss my ass.

But the Portal Games were SOOOOOOO good.

23 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Could you give us a list of people in the video game industry that haven't wronged you personally, because I'm pretty sure it can't be longer than four people.

I can't help it if I am a consumer who is brave enough to speak with words as well as my cash.  Save the proselytizing for the sheeples. 

If I don't like something, I don't like it.  Fuck 'em.  It's up to them to earn back my trust and if they don't bother, neither do I.

Fuck Anthem.

20 minutes ago, Raziel said:

But the Portal Games were SOOOOOOO good.

I am old and stubborn and have stupid convictions that only make sense to me.  Sorta the opposite of the Valve grognards that keep fooling themselves about getting closure with Half Life.

I have my moments of foolish optimism, too.   I am sure that I will get me my true Skies of Arcadia, Star Ocean, and Phantasy Star current gen installations any day now.

I am also 100% certain that someone will buy the Alpha Protocol license and make a perfectly good game out of it.

Occasionally, foolish optimism is rewarded.   I feel at least two sick days coming on when VtM: Bloodlines 3 comes out and that sequel only took forever to put out.

Edited by J.T.

MLB The Show is going multi-platform starting in 2021, which means that they'll get my money for PS5 and Switch copies, fuuuuuuuuck. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

So this is finally getting down to where you can just say "why can't sony/xbox just make games for the other platform?"  First big guy to break the seal will kill the myth.  It's like Sony movies on a JVC VCR.  Another way to offset is to only offer digital for opposition consoles.

Edited by assfax