DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2019 & BEYOND)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

That makes it sound like a good game but your long explanation makes it sound like a horrible game.

Perhaps if you said it was the Lars Von Trier's Antichrist of video games.

I mean...I guess that works too?

Also, I hated Kid A. I still do. I tried listening to it again not that long ago and it's just...not good.

• Like 1

Metal Gear's gameplay, from day one, was about taking the prevalent genre of the time (run-and-gun) and subverting it. You want to run around the base and shoot the baddies? Is that the most exciting thing? Too bad. The point is to *not shoot them*. It's more realistic and provides more atmosphere, at the cost of action and immediacy. And that foundational gameplay philosophy ended up deeply entwined with the series' plot and themes. Seems to me that Death Stranding is doing the same thing. Our prevalent genre is the open-world/sandbox thing, a genre (if genre is even the right word) that features a ton of running around vast worlds hoping to get to the next bit of action. Except Death Stranding has made the choice to make the traversal the main focus of the gameplay instead of a means to an end. Breath of the Wild sort of got there first (a phrase I'll probably be using for the rest of my life) but I can't immediately fault Death Stranding for saying "All these modern games are just fetch quests, anyways" and leaning way the hell into it. Kojima uses gameplay to make statements about gameplay (and, y'know, the greater human codition), and I trust him enough for an 84 on Metacritic not to scare me off.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, I hated Kid A. I still do. I tried listening to it again not that long ago and it's just...not good.

The rest of the world does not share your sentiment or at least now they don't since no one will really cop to absolutely loathing that album when it originally came out. 

Music nerds will never to admit to being the person that didn't "get it." and I think that's the main reason I hate most hardcore Radiohead synchophants

The tracks grew on me over time, but it really did seem obnoxiously self congratulatory at first listen.  It is an album that is far more clever conceptually than you initially gave it credit for being, but not better from a musical perspective than the one that came before it or the ones that came after... especially In Rainbows. 

I like music that comes from the heart, not the head.

BUT WE WERE TAKING ABOUT VIDEO GAMES, RIGHT~!

The more I hear about Death Stranding, the more I think I will hate it.  I love Kojima's work and admire his passion but if you don't real that fucker in he will most certainly put in a minigame in this fucking thing where you have to find a concealed spot in the woods to take a shit or you'll be killed by a pack of wolves.

The mechanic in Metal Gear Solid where your rations would freeze if you spent too much time in a cold environment still annoys me to this very day.  Let's just take away the most effective health recovery mechanism during one of the worst boss fights.

Fuck you, Vulcan Raven. 

Then again, how hard can you be on a game where the only means you have of identifying your female ally in disguise is by watching her ass as she walks away from you?  Meryl Silverburgh may have the most infamous switch in all of video gamedom.

Edited by J.T.

As someone who is primarily a stream watcher for seeing new games, I kind of feel like Death Stranding is can't miss for me. Either it surprises me and is actually good (I've seen nothing in any of the preview material to suggest this is true for my tastes), or the game is going to get dunked on in Very Amusing Ways that I get to observe and, perhaps, participate in. Either way I get my entertainment.

I tend to stay away from watching streams of games I'm going to get around to eventually.  That said, I'm probably not getting Death Stranding anytime soon, so I'll be watching.

I know what I will be doing in just four days.

I will be be happy.. because Happiness is Mandatory!

The Computer is Happy. The Computer is crazy.

The Computer will help you become happy. This will drive you crazy.

Being a citizen of Alpha Complex is fun. The Computer says so, and The Computer is Your Friend.

Many traitors threaten Alpha Complex. 

Many happy citizens live in Alpha Complex. Most happy citizens are crazy.

Which are more dangerous -- Traitors or Happy Citizens?

Rooting out traitors will make you happy. The Computer tells you so.

If you are NOT happy, The Computer will reassign you as reactor shielding.

Being a Troubleshooter is fun. The Computer tells you so.

Do you DOUBT The Computer, citizen?

Troubleshooters get shot at, stabbed, mangled, incinerated, poisoned, blown to bits, and occasionally accidentally executed.

This is so much fun, that many Troubleshooters go crazy.

You work with a team of Troubleshooters. They all carry lasers.

Aren't you glad you have a laser too? Won't this be fun?

STAY ALERT, TRUST NO ONE, KEEP YOUR LASER HANDY!

Combine Real Time (with Pause), with Paranoia's setting (where anything can go wrong, turning in Commies, Mutants, and Secret Society Traitors is a good way to advance in Clearance (and everyone is a Mutant, and a member of a Secret Society,) and things are so dangerous that every citizens is granted five extra clones. (Troubleshooters are well known for going through those clones quickly. Some missions in the pen and paper end up with a 600% casualty rate, possibly even before finding out the mission they've been assigned to!

• Like 2

I was hoping someone would do something with the Paranoia licence. Some of the best World building ever, but nobody who didn't play RPGs in the 80s knows about it.

19 hours ago, D.Z said:

All the Pokemon and forms in gen 8 via datamine. Sans the two mythicals that might be dlc.

Reveal hidden contents

EJGLmbuXUAAnk6w?format=png&name=large

My wife is super excited for this but is trying to avoid seeing the evolutions for the new starters if she can help it.  Considering the awesome games that have come out recently she's going nuts trying to get through them before Friday.  But I guess that's a good problem to have even if she's getting one helluva backlog piling up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Stadia launch day lineup is out and it's 12 previously announced games.  Worse, it looks like the ONLY launch game on Stadia Pro will be Destiny 2.  Given that I only bought in because I expected a decentish back catalog on Pro, I want to cancel if I can

If you really fucking the Tomb Raider reboot series, Stadia got you covered.

Did anybody else play that Nioh 2 beta that you couldn’t play after Saturday? That shit was fucking hard. The new mechanic now is that you can turn into an oni for offensive attacks. But you can also dash dodge with your oni powers to counter red magic attacks. After about 8 hours of doing this I don’t believe I got the handle on it. I hope when the game finally releases that they narrow it down to a one button command. Making it two buttons, while other essential defensive, and offensive maneuvers also use two buttons is just too confusing to the point where by the end I felt like Sekiro might be an easier game.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 11/11/2019 at 10:19 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

Stadia launch day lineup is out and it's 12 previously announced games.  Worse, it looks like the ONLY launch game on Stadia Pro will be Destiny 2.  Given that I only bought in because I expected a decentish back catalog on Pro, I want to cancel if I can

That is all not great. I mainly bought in because I don't have a Chromecast Ultra and so that, what looks like a good controller, and 3 months of Pro seemed worth it for $130. The Chromecast Ultra and controller are worth that alone. I figure if the whole thing sucks then I just won't continue the Pro service beyond the first 3 months.

17 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The weirdest thing about Stadia to me is that apparently they oversold their pre-orders, so there are people that bought the literal Founders Edition that are absolutely not going to be receiving one at launch.

I'm one of them, kinda. I preordered way back in June. I don't think it was that long after it was even announced. I'm not getting my package until the 21st or 22nd. When you pre-ordered the Founders Edition, you were told you would be able to be the first to pick your name and now you don't even get to do that. You have to wait until your package ships and you get your access code to pick your name and get everything setup. So the people who aren't getting their Founder's Edition package until December are really screwed. I can understand why those folks cancelled their pre-orders.

The other weird thing is that you weren't charged right away when you pre-ordered and there are people who pre-ordered with a debit or credit card that is now expired and they can't update their payment information with the new card's expiration date.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm one of them, kinda. I preordered way back in June. I don't think it was that long after it was even announced. I'm not getting my package until the 21st or 22nd. When you pre-ordered the Founders Edition, you were told you would be able to be the first to pick your name and now you don't even get to do that. You have to wait until your package ships and you get your access code to pick your name and get everything setup. So the people who aren't getting their Founder's Edition package until December are really screwed. I can understand why those folks cancelled their pre-orders.

The other weird thing is that you weren't charged right away when you pre-ordered and there are people who pre-ordered with a debit or credit card that is now expired and they can't update their payment information with the new card's expiration date.

It also doesn't help that apparently there's a lot of things that won't be available at launch and may not be there until next year.  https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/google-stadia-will-be-missing-many-features-for-mondays-launch/?comments=1&post=38264313

I shouldn't be comparing launch issues between Stadia and Anthem yet somehow I'm getting a similar vibe with this.  Hopefully it all works out in the end but I don't feel confident about this.

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Tell Me Why

New game from the folks who do Life is Strange (unclear if it is in the universe or separate)

Why'd that make me start humming Backstreet Boys after reading that title -_-.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1