DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2019 & BEYOND)

RIPPA

I am gonna wait until they actually have some sort of physical machine spinning around on a platform at E3 or something before I start a new thread for it so here we go.

A few more details about the Playstation 5 have come out

• will have a solid state drive
  • backwards compatible with PS4
  • Sony folks are trying their hardest to not say the words "Playstation 5"
  • will not be out this year (that doesn't mean next year either but it is possible)

That is all via a new article from Wired

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Contains

1944: The Loop Master
Alien Vs. Predator
Armored Warriors
Capcom Sports Club
Captain Commando
Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness
Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
Eco Fighters
Final Fight
Ghouls ’N Ghosts
Gigawing
Mega Man: The Power Battle
Progear
Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
Strider
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

This is not an original thought, at least one person has posted or tweeted it about every article I've seen. But it's true: this is the worst of both worlds. The people who want a quick plug and play option aren't going to give a shit about arcade-quality parts in the controller and the people whose ears perk up at the name Sanwa have already built their own stick for a bootleg cabinet.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:15 AM, RIPPA said:

I am gonna wait until they actually have some sort of physical machine spinning around on a platform at E3 or something before I start a new thread for it so here we go.

A few more details about the Playstation 5 have come out

• will have a solid state drive
  • backwards compatible with PS4
  • Sony folks are trying their hardest to not say the words "Playstation 5"
  • will not be out this year (that doesn't mean next year either but it is possible)

That is all via a new article from Wired

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

That's interesting about the SSD since it's basically confirmed the system will come with a 2TB drive. That size SSD is not cheap. 

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

That's interesting about the SSD since it's basically confirmed the system will come with a 2TB drive. That size SSD is not cheap. 

If they plan to let games hold 8k assets, they'll need to offer as much HD space as possible, especially if requiring SSD limits external storage capabilities to a degree.

CastleVania collection contains

Castlevania

Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse

Castlevania II Belmont’s Revenge

Super Castlevania IV

Castlevania Bloodlines

Kid Dracula

Castlevania the Adventure

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

• Like 1

Added to the Sega Genesis mini

Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Contra: Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2
Thunder Force III
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Landstalker

I like that they're going out of their way to include some stuff that wasn't on previous compilations (like the Mickey Mouse games)

I am most interested on how easily I'll be able to hack it like I did to all my other mini consoles, though.

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

While looking for any real gameplay footage for MUA3, I ran across a vlogger who mentioned he was hoping it would fill the Marvel Heroes Omega-sized hole in his heart.  

Me too, Tony.  Me, too.

I often described MHO as "a mediocre game that i can't stop playing." It was the perfect thing to not give a shit about playing whilr i listened tonpodcasts or binge watched The Office.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 11:23 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I often described MHO as "a mediocre game that i can't stop playing." It was the perfect thing to not give a shit about playing whilr i listened tonpodcasts or binge watched The Office.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it mediocre - there were some specific game modes & characters I enjoyed grinding the shit out of - but it's still the only MMO I've played that didn't feel like it had its hand creeping towards my wallet every time I played it.  

I quit playing Injustice 2 Mobile because of that sort of garbage, and it was too grindy.  Quit POE mostly due to the grind, and a little bit due to the abysmal neckbeard Gamergate community it has.  So, I actually went back to my original addiction, Kingdom of Loathing.

And then I remembered all the reasons I quit that, too, and they were all to do with money.  POE might be the only game I've seen that feels like it has a sustainable, viable economy that has nothing to do with actual cash.  KoL, on the other hand, feels like a game that would rather lose money on its terms than make money by trying something new.  The best items in the game were, and always have been, gated behind monthly items you could purchase, and that was fine, but once they went away, they were gone forever.  And anyone trying to pick up the game anew - or buy back in after a long absence, like myself - was effed in the A, because you were at the mercy of the in-game currency plutocrats who stashed stuff.   Some of the items used to be tradable, but they decided somewhere along the line they were losing money, so they nipped that, and drove away the players who didn't want account-locked items.  Then, they decided things needed to be gated by a 2-year window so that runs were 'fair', and they probably drove away players who had been spending money all along and now couldn't actually use the things they'd bought.  Lather, rinse, repeat for any amount of content.

The screwed-up thing is now I have the disposable income that, if I could buy those items I missed from the 5+ year layoff, I would do it, but I can't, because the creators are too contrarian to actually think that way.  It's apparently never occurred to them that they'd make money hand over fist by re-releasing some of those items (even at $30 a piece, rather than $10, they'd be a steal compared to what the pseudo-economy dictates and supports), and that doing so would also absolve them from having to gate content by the year of release, or worrying quite so damned much about power-creep.  No surprise that, when I logged back in, the player number was ~400 (as it has been for years), and it was practically all names I recognized, the same addicts continuing on their path of the Concord Fallacy.  They had a huge hit (in relative terms) with West of Loathing, and apparently squandered it in terms of transitions to their first game.

Edited by Contentious C

• 2 weeks later...