DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2019 & BEYOND)

RIPPA

So I got into the MK11 online stress test beta where you had to sign up to get randomly selected.

Right now the server stress is high.  I got into one set of matches in about a half hour of waiting, doing other stuff while it tried to matchmake.

It's smooth as fuck when you get in.  The game is awesome.  You can play as Scorpion, Baraka, or Scarlett right now.  They're all pretty fun and different  and you can customize them for this beta too.  

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:28 PM, Tromatagon said:

If you're going to make a game called Back 4 Blood make it a vampire game you cowards

Everyone is afraid to try and step outside the zombie crutch that exists in horror gaming

I know Vampyre was dogshit, I know, but what about a game where we kill them and complain about motherfuckers always trying to ski uphill?

COME AHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Don't get me to ranting on the dearth of vampire games.   The VtM: Bloodlines follow-up and WoD Online are either long dead or in eternal dev hell and I will probably die before there is another Legacy of Kain game.

Notice that I did not mention BloodRayne in that previous statement...

Edited by J.T.

39 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Don't get me to ranting on the dearth of vampire games.   The VtM: Bloodlines follow-up and WoD Online are either long dead or in eternal dev hell and I will probably die before there is another Legacy of Kain game.

Notice that I did not mention BloodRayne in that previous statement...

There really wasn't anywhere else to go in the LoK series, so I'm not upset about not getting another game there.  I'd hold out hope on another VtM game since White Wolf went and resurrected VtM with v5 and pushed it with a 3 hour a friday ad on Geek and Sundry. 

It's Modiphius now, White Wolf is dead.  That could be good or bad.  The rights might be all janky or fragmented like sometimes happens when sales like that happen.

Modiphius does a lot of video game properties as RPGs - I could see them swinging things the other way.

Edited by Tromatagon

There's good and bad with this.  I use remote play 90% of the time to play shit on my PS4, mostly because my TV isn't "big" enough for my room and I can't read the damn text on games, so playing it on a laptop screen is way easier.  That said, the PS4 remote play works perfectly 85% of the time, and that's locally (I'm in the house, my PS4 is hardwired and my laptop is over 2.4GHz WiFi.  I've tried it at work when I've had projects go off at midnight and had to spend 16 hours in my office, and I got a 50% rate on that.  First time I played it worked perfectly, and my laptop and PS4 were 64 miles apart.  Second time I tried it, it was unplayable, but that was also when I was having issues with my HDD that might've been screwing with the setup.   Mind, I have up to 100 Mbps at home and roughly 700 Mbps at work, so I'm above the average user. 

It's success is going to fully depend on the user's internet connection, the hops inbetween, and how those servers hold up.  It's great when it works, but that's always in a perfect world, and their tests so far are being done in a perfect environment.

Here's my one issue with this...It's hard to trust that this service will actually work like it's supposed to. I've all but given up on renting videos or buying videos through Google Play because it's 50/50 if the movie will actually work. My speed at home is north of 150 mbps now so there's no issues on my end for streaming rented or purchased videos. What happens though, and it doesn't matter if I use the Roku built into the TV, if I plug a Roku into the TV, or if I use Chromecast, videos will buffer every 5 minutes. It's ridiculous. For example, two weeks ago we rented Can You Ever Forgive Me. This isn't a movie full of special effects. It's just a comedy/drama. The movie constantly buffered and it was unwatchable. Other times movies work just fine, but too often the buffering shit happens and it's wasted money.

There's no way I'm going to trust Google to get a streaming video game service right. I would much rather be able to download and install the game or buy a physical copy of the game and own it outright instead of streaming it.

Guest The Magnificent 7

If I can’t trust google to make adding a fucking contact to gmail intuitive and simple then I ain’t going to trust them to do any damn thing right with this. 

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Here's my one issue with this...It's hard to trust that this service will actually work like it's supposed to. I've all but given up on renting videos or buying videos through Google Play because it's 50/50 if the movie will actually work. My speed at home is north of 150 mbps now so there's no issues on my end for streaming rented or purchased videos. What happens though, and it doesn't matter if I use the Roku built into the TV, if I plug a Roku into the TV, or if I use Chromecast, videos will buffer every 5 minutes. It's ridiculous. For example, two weeks ago we rented Can You Ever Forgive Me. This isn't a movie full of special effects. It's just a comedy/drama. The movie constantly buffered and it was unwatchable. Other times movies work just fine, but too often the buffering shit happens and it's wasted money.

There's no way I'm going to trust Google to get a streaming video game service right. I would much rather be able to download and install the game or buy a physical copy of the game and own it outright instead of streaming it.

What's funny is I was going to rent a movie Friday from there to check out.  If that's an issue with your setup then I might consider another option aside from them.

While we can't get away from everything Google I try to not use them as much as possible.  It's bad enough they know damn near everything else we do and I'd rather they not know what console games I play.

I'm kind of the opposite with staying away from Google since I love their phones so much and plan to keep getting them.  That said, even if I think they make good hardware in the phone arena, I have no faith in this system being any good for anyone without the absolute best internet connection

Edited by Tromatagon

Nintendo did a Spring Showcase focusing on indy games.  I would list particular games that are coming out but they announced a helluva ton.  I can say though that if you have a Switch then it sounds like they have whatever you're into covered.

As all us console games stare slackjawed at the complaints people have about it. Sometimes I have to unplug my Wii's AV cables to get my Dreamcast going. Sometimes I have to walk to the shelf and open up a Switch box. I even have to occasionally hit the input button on my remote, and the other day I even blew the dust out of a cartridge. None of this strikes me as an inconvenience.

Now people are shouting "boycott!" because they have to open up a new window to play something? I realize things like chat clients, reviews, and other finely tuned bells and whistles of the Steam experience are part of this. I also realize that the opinions of diehard PC gamers are as scummy and depressing as anything on the internet. Doesn't Steam take a huge cut of every purchase? Isn't this good for game developers? Doesn't competition always pay off for the consumer?

It's part needing ANOTHER launcher disguising DRM to fire up games, the look that they're snagging timed exclusivity for games (which really shouldn't be on a PC store), and that Epic gets overflow shit for publishing Fortnite, which is understandable since Fortnite is pretty overall toxic yet manages to be the single easiest way to make massive amounts of money via Twitch for reasons no one can really explain (although a lot of the Fortnite streamers are switching over to Apex since Fortnite's been pretty fucking broken for a while and Apex isn't).

• Like 1

It's part needing ANOTHER launcher disguising DRM to fire up games, the look that they're snagging timed exclusivity for games (which really shouldn't be on a PC store), and that Epic gets overflow shit for publishing Fortnite, which is understandable since Fortnite is pretty overall toxic yet manages to be the single easiest way to make massive amounts of money via Twitch for reasons no one can really explain (although a lot of the Fortnite streamers are switching over to Apex since Fortnite's been pretty fucking broken for a while and Apex isn't).

Pretty much this. There's more to it than all of that though, but you can't really compare the PC experience to what the experience is on Xbox or PSN or whatever. For example, imagine you had purchased all of your games through PSN and then, let's just use Epic, Epic says in order to play their games you have to now buy the games through their store, use their launcher on your PS4, have an entirely separate friend's list, and there's no guarantee that this separate launcher is going to be as reliable as PSN.

It's just a fucking mess and unnecessarily muddies how PC games are played to, like Raziel said, thinly disguise another launcher as a way to add more DRM to games.

• Like 1

lol he thinks the blowing dust out of a cartridge thing actually works

The video game industry is pretty clearly heading into the cable TV phase where to get the one thing you want it comes bundled with 15 pieces of shit nobody cares about. There's not a fucking thing we can do about it either.

• Sad 1

I'm just sitting here holding my PS4 controller and crying.  Metaphorically.  I'm actually at work crying.

Remember all those times growing up we'd look at a game and lie to ourselves and say IT'S JUST LIKE PLAYING A CARTOON! or like tell our mom and dad that because we thought that would make them buy it for us and shit?

Cuphead is like the legit example of that.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

Not to mention Epic doesn't seem to allow 3rd parties to selling digital keys when all the competitors do. This type of exclusivity is not good for the consumers no matter how you look at it.

(Not to mention moneyhatting games that were crowdfunding thru the people on other platforms and making it exclusive from said platform... that's just straight up skeevy.)

EDIT: Tim Sweeney (Epic founder) two years ago. "The thing that I feel is incredibly important for the future of the industry is that the PC platform remains open, so that any user without any friction can install applications from any developer, and ensure that no company, Microsoft or anybody else, can insert themselves by force as the universal middleman, and force developers to sell through them instead of selling directly to customers.”

Edited by turk128